spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-13 08:26:46: Comcast this morning confirmed reports from last night that the company would be buying (or trying to buy) Time Warner Cable in a deal estimated to be worth around $45 billion. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

The blob...

Growing and growing.

This merger didn't need to happen.

cybah

join:2000-03-09
Chelsea, MA

Regulators

i really wanna know how this is going to pass regulators without some serious bribing going on.

Seriously, I can't believe the Gov't would even let this one slide at all. It's anti competitive, and even if Comcast was forced to sell off some of its POPs (and TWC's too), who would they sell them to? Charter isn't doing too good, nor are any of the other larger regional cable providers. So there's no one, not unless AT&T or Verizon want to move into the cable tv biz (via Coax, not fiber) which ain't happening.

If there's any ounce of decency with regulators left, this won't pass. But I am not holding my breath, because if it does, we're so screwed...

ComcastBorg

@comcast.net

Comcast should asopt new logo - The Borg

While this one is a L O N G way from being approved, Roberts has shown once again his desire to be the largest, richest company in the US.

ComacstNot

@verizon.net

1 recommendation

This should be stopped!

Why is the monopoly allowed to continue to gobble up companies creating an even larger monopoly that has the attitude of the customer be damned? They never should have been allowed to acquire NBC and any more acquisitions should be stopped!

BostonRob

@comcast.net

"Superior Experience"

I work for Comcast and I can tell you there is already a push from the top down to provide a much better customer service experience. Unfortunately, it seems to not apply to outsourced (online, Internet, IP phone) reps.

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03

1 edit

Little to no competitive overlap

The graphic in this shows little to no cable overlap... the competitive issues don't really change except with the national players like dish/dtv, verizon, AT&T have to step up their game on speeds, quality and video like X1

»www.cnbc.com/id/101413235
--
"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

FreedomThink

@mycingular.net

If you were smart

If people were smart they would bear the short term burden and cancel their Comcast or time Warner service if this goes through.

I stopped paying for direct tv and dsl 2years ago and refuse to buy any service while the market is ran by corporate thugs.

If consumers aren't willing to send a message that we won't accept corrupt monopolies and want a fair market then we will soon lose our right to freedom of choice. It will be option A or no option at all for most of consumers buying decisions.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to ComacstNot

Re: This should be stopped!

"the monopoly"

How exactly are they a monopoly? The only thing they have a monopoly on is their delivery method. They have competition in everything they do.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home

1 recommendation

reply to cybah

Re: Regulators

Anti competitive?

The same exact number of competitors will exist in Comcast and TWC markets after this is done. The only difference will be that TWC is named Comcast in their former markets.

Dish Network, DirecTV, Verizon, AT&T, Frontier, and CenturyLink will all still be competitors of Comcast and the other single cable company that is in each market where Comcast is not.

cybah

Chelsea, MA
said by smcallah:

Dish Network, DirecTV, Verizon, AT&T, Frontier, and CenturyLink will all still be competitors of Comcast and the other single cable company that is in each market where Comcast is not.

But NONE of those are Cable Television providers (in terns of classic cable tv via coax). And LEC's who have TV service do not offer it everywhere. And some places you can't get a satellite (where external dishes are not possible)

It still can be perceived as anti competitive.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to FreedomThink

Re: If you were smart

So how are you posting here then?

cybah

Chelsea, MA

2 recommendations

reply to battleop

Tell me why is that Comcast is ONLY avaliable where I live. No Verizon, No DSL. I can't get a dish either.

So tell me how this isn't a monopoly? I can't get another coax-based cable tv provider.. (actually I can't get ANYTHING excpt Comcast)

So wanna tell me why this isn't a monopoly again?

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to cybah

Doesn't matter if they are actual coax TV. And it still is not anti-competitive. Yous still end up with the same regardless as TWC does NOT compete with Comcast or any other MSO unless you have WOW or RCN in your city.

The only other company that would be interested in purchasing up any of the network would include CinciBell if they were in fact interested. This wouldn't be the first HFC network they purchased and upgraded to FTTH.

your name

@comcast.net
reply to catnapped

said by catnapped:

So how are you posting here then?

He is posting from an AT&T cell connection.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
reply to BostonRob

Re: "Superior Experience"

uhm, i just have to ask... so who does it apply to?
maybe business consumers of isp and clec service?

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to cybah

Then that is your local problem, but does not make it a monopoly. You can't force a company to build out to you regardless how much you force them- or try. If you want something besides cable try WISP, 3g/4g.

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
reply to catnapped

Perhaps the coffee shop, where I'll likely be ending up if Comcast acquires Time Warner Cable. Without a working Netflix I won't be sticking around.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
reply to catnapped
local public library. i mean, it's not like anyone goes there for books.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to FreedomThink
Go ahead and tell TWC customers to do that and while their numbers are going down, Comcast and Charter would be happy. You saved them $$$ and got them what they want. But you're talking about BBR here and nobody is going to cancel their Internet.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

These are companies that need to be broken up

They need to be broken up, not be getting bigger. I see the next Ma Bell type monopoly only this time on broadband.

It seems as if the Sherman Antitrust Act doesn't exist. Maybe public pressure will stop the takeover like with AT&T/T-Mobile. Charter doesn't need them either. Time Warner should remain Time Warner.

One of my friends (who is pro business) is against this.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Good Ol Dan

join:2000-05-15
Naples, FL
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to BostonRob

Re: "Superior Experience"

said by BostonRob :

I work for Comcast and I can tell you there is already a push from the top down to provide a much better customer service experience. Unfortunately, it seems to not apply to outsourced (online, Internet, IP phone) reps.

Yeah... like most other things from Comcast, the "better customer experience" will be rolled out slowly in test markets, but will not be "currently available in your area" (with no projected date).

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Millenium

And where does that coffee shop get their internet, from the cable monopoly. So you are still going to deal with the throttling going on.

Maybe you'll just have to get your video fix from DirecTV or Dish. It's like the businesses of our parents time having to get their phones from the same Ma Bell that they got their home phones from.

Kasoah

join:2013-08-20

1 recommendation

reply to TBBroadband

Yes you can, state regulation etc. At this point Internet is hardly an optional requirement.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: The blob...

Read please. It hasn't happened.

raydsltech

join:2004-07-04
Concord, NC
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: These are companies that need to be broken up

Does it matter how big they get? How many cable tv companies do you have access to in your neighborhood?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Suddenlink

TWC has some systems here in the North Carolina area, would be interesting to see those parts get sold off to SL as part of some deal to allow Comcast to merge/buyout TWC.

I wonder if SL would be interested.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to cybah

said by cybah:

i really wanna know how this is going to pass regulators without some serious bribing going on.

Wait, are you saying we got to this situation without bribing?!
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to IowaCowboy

And lest you be reminded that your local cable monopoly is CREATED by the governments, in the name of franchise agreements. So I don't blame Comcast one bit, it is the local/state politicians to point your anger toward. In fact the government is more to blame than the operators. Must carry, etc.. blah blah, draconian copyright laws...they are causing the prices to go up by legislative action, lobbying by incumbents (why would they not), simply because open competition is not allowed BECAUSE of the government...

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to your name
Yup and we all know that AT&T is not run by corporate thugs. It's an awesome friendly local bagel shop equivalent of cellphones
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Packeteers
I found out a month ago that any NYS resident can get a NYPL card...They just need to apply. Now I get ebooks galore--if my library is tapped out, and when I travel to the city my media is waiting for me. Why would you need a Kindle is beyond me...