dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-13 09:51:22: Verizon Wireless has been trying to stay on the sideline of AT&T's small price skirmish with T-Mobile, though that's slowly started to change recently with a series of small new promotions the company has been running. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

Kasoah

wau

wau, 1 whole gigabyte more
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Or 100% more. That is obviously a MUCH better deal than the previous one. We should acknowledge that competition is alive and Tmobile IS impacting now big red which is EXACTLY what we want. I say thank you Tmobile. Please don't sell out to Sprint and go down the drain with them

We are getting more for less every day...and it gets better. Last time I recalled when I was a kid our families Bell bill (Nynex in our case) went up every year like clockwork and innovation was non-existent other than say dial tone for 20 years. Another industry (cable) reminds me of the old days too... In 20 years I can't imagine where we will be due to innovation and companies like Verizon, AT&T, etc risking their capital to do so....

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Funny!

“Verizon Wireless led the way with the introduction of shared data plans...” the company insists.
Gee, that is something I would not be proud of. My sister and brother-in-law are on a shared plan and my sister leaves her iPhone 4S 3G turned off all the time because they were getting socked with overages. She lets my BIL use the shared data exclusively and deal with the overage charges himself. Sad when a company forces family members to be antagonistic.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Re: wau

Percentages are like statistics, you can make them say anything you want. There are times when percentages should be used and times when they should not. This is one of those time they should not.

AnonMe
@comcastbusiness.net

AnonMe

Anon

Headed in the right direction

As much as I think VZW has been raping us for a long time, this industry is finally headed in the right direction.

Last month I changed my 500 MB share plan to the 250 MB share plan to save some money. This month I changed to the single line 250 MB plan for $45/month.

I use a lot of data, but almost always connected to wifi. Finally starting to feel OK about my cell phone bill!

ctaranto
join:2011-12-14
MA

ctaranto to n2jtx

to n2jtx

Re: Funny!

Interesting. I have 5 smartphones (all Android) on my Share Everything plan. We were on the 1GB plan (now 2GB) and still never went over our limit. When adding the 5th phone, even the Verizon sales robot was surprised. Is it an iPhone thing that it uses more data just being "on"?

We are on wifi most of the time and don't find it interesting to stream movies/videos on a 5" screen while driving in the car. The only data "hog" application we (very occasionally) use is navigation.

I'm pretty happy that my data allowance doubled for no charge. Thanks, T-Mobile!

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan

The T-Mobile effect...

T-Mobile is definitely putting the squeeze on Verizon.

Verizon must not like how its churn number is looking.

We'll find out soon enough.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

Many plans won't change because of this

For example, 2 lines with 4GB of shared data. Is still $40 + $40 + $70 = $150.

However those may be able to get by with 3GB of shared data and save $10/month, where before that savings would have resulted in 2GB of shared data.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

Garbage!!!

I think the new plans are garbage! Mostly because they don't benefit me. Two lines sharing 4GB of data.

As an out of contract customer I asked for Edge pricing ($20 per smart phone on the 10GB+) and Verizon had zero interest in it. If signing up for Edge you have to make at least 3 monthly installments before you can pay the phone off.

It would have been nice to get 6GB more data for $10 less. Guess I need to be an AT&T customer for that.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to ctaranto

to ctaranto

said by ctaranto:

Interesting. I have 5 smartphones (all Android) on my Share Everything plan. We were on the 1GB plan (now 2GB) and still never went over our limit. When adding the 5th phone, even the Verizon sales robot was surprised. Is it an iPhone thing that it uses more data just being "on"?

iPhone's do use more data than most any other smartphone as studies have shown. Various apps and services are constantly checking in with the mother ship. When they got their 2GB shared plan, having been on separate plans, the data charges started kicking in. Basically they went from 4GB in total to 2GB shared.

I hate the idea of having to watch the meter and being careful not to get hit in the wallet. If I were on such a plan, I would prefer to either get throttled down to 56K or so, or have the data cut off completely. Neither AT&T or Verizon have any interest in that because it would not stick it to their customers. OTOH, I have Sprint through my employer and that data service is useless. In the two plus years I have had it, I have used at most 500MB TOTAL over that entire period and a major chunk of that was during superstorm Sandy when network performance actually got better. I have had 0KB of data usage since December and the Sprint bill shows no data activity on my line the last two months. I often wonder what it would be like to have a smartphone that is always connected.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

quote:
iPhone's do use more data than most any other smartphone as studies have shown. Various apps and services are constantly checking in with the mother ship.
Cause people actually use the data on their iPhones. Study after study has shown that iOS users surf the web more, use more apps, etc. According to NetMarketshare.com, iOS has 54.96% of web traffic in mobile.

Dr Myopic
@cstel.com

Dr Myopic

Anon

Investors, run for the hills!

Price pressure across the wireless market? Best pull our capital out now to show these managerial types we are not pleased... not one bit.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to ropeguru

to ropeguru

well the average user consumes approximatel 750mb, so the 1gb plan moves a lot of people out of the red zone and the 2 gb now gives some room. If you spend five minutes making sure DL and the like are not happening on cellular and you keep video to a minimum, you can go under a GB. Wifi pay attention to that too.

Also many MVNO offer throttling plans if you go over your limit. For those on shared plans, going over either change behavior or move to throttle plans, or continue paying overages. There are options...

Cloud25GB
@qwest.net

Cloud25GB

Anon

25 GB of Cloud

Th 25 GB of cloud storage is nice too. With Apple iCloud ... you only get 5 GB. If you want more, you have to pay.

The international texting is nice too.

I gave T-Mobile an honest 4 months last year. Unfortunately I live in a rural area ... from a coverage perspective ... Verizon is the bomb ... with LTE ... EVERY WHERE. I would love to pay T-Mobile rates ... but I also need to use my phone
Expand your moderator at work
rob11252
join:2006-09-08
Macomb, MI

rob11252 to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Re: The T-Mobile effect...

Yea, Verizon has on average the dumbest customer pool, so no surprise that Verizon could wait that long, do nothing and keep collecting the doe. Finely it is affecting Verizon overlords too!

ctaranto
join:2011-12-14
MA

1 recommendation

ctaranto to itguy05

to itguy05

Or they can't figure out how to use wifi.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Still switching when the time comes....

Bill is to much...
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

does nothing for me

I'm on an older style single line plan - 450 min, 1000 texts, 2GB data.
With this newer plan, it looks like the equivalent plan is for half the data at 1GB/mo. No thanks.

Probably works out better for 4+ lines.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

They weren't making enough money off of you. That's why they don't offer your plan anymore.

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

Awesome...

I'm switching to T-MO next month... to bad for VZW...

30 a month vs 50 a month for my hotspot... LMAO lower your prices VZW... or you will be making 0 from me...
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

I used not quite 12 gigs in my first month back with Sprint, so I guess that means I'm above average. And I'm paying $50/month less then I was when I was being raped by those assholes at Verizon paying for 8GB of data.

I like how that shit stain of a company took away unlimited data, forced new subscribers into the Share Your Paycheck With Us Plan and now give subscribers a whole 1GB extra of data and they act like people should be grateful, praise them and bow down to them. Fuck you Verizon, you dirty scumbags!
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to AnonMe

Premium Member

to AnonMe

Re: Headed in the right direction

It looks like that plan is now $55, according to the new pricing. I was considering it, but not anymore!
amungus

amungus to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Re: does nothing for me

Lol, no doubt. I'm not really that heavy a cell user though, so they're still making plenty.

Had to ask the store rep to get that plan. It wasn't available online.
Considering calling in and asking for the "loyalty" plan mentioned the other day.

Cloud25GB
@qwest.net

Cloud25GB

Anon

Sucks for BYOD or Paid in Full

I was reading that you do NOT get the reduced rates for BYOD or if you pay or device in full.

You HAVE to be on the EDGE program to get the reduced rates.

I can kind of get the BYOD.

But with paying the device off in full??? Verizon still gets all of their money ... the full retail price of the phone and hence any profit from the sale of the phone.

It makes no sense to me why one has to be on the EDGE program versus paying your device off in full.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to n2jtx

MVM

to n2jtx

I might be mistaken, but wasn't there an article on this site a few months ago stating that Android phones realistically used more data on average? I know iPhone users are pretty data hungry, by most of that stems from stuff like Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat always running and burning up data. Or for that matter just the app frenzy. My phone has a minimal amount of apps thanks to Chrome being awesome.

At lease in my experience, Android phones have eaten up more data at a more erratic rate. The iPhones at my home run 300MB on average, peaking at 1.8GB some months. The Android phones, average 4GB and its not out of the norm for my phone to smack 20GB across the face (can't tether, since I'm on a special unlimited plan).

Not totally scientific, and I use Android personally.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to Cloud25GB

Anon

to Cloud25GB

Re: Sucks for BYOD or Paid in Full

If you're on the Edge program you can pay your phone off anytime you want. There is no difference between Edge pricing and just buying the phone outright. So just get on Edge then pay the phone off and enjoy the $10 or $20 off. Your statement does though apply to those that BYOD.
Mr Guy

Mr Guy to amungus

Anon

to amungus

Re: does nothing for me

said by amungus:

I'm on an older style single line plan - 450 min, 1000 texts, 2GB data.
With this newer plan, it looks like the equivalent plan is for half the data at 1GB/mo. No thanks.

No the equivalent plan would be if you had 450 minutes unlimited text and 2 GB data. That would be $90 and the More Everything plan with 2 GB is also $90 or $80 more than what you are paying now. But just to let you know that the taxes/fees are a few dollars cheaper with new plans. So the difference is not that great

Probably works out better for 4+ lines.

Not really. 4 lines most likely use more than 3 GB of data and there is no benefit for these lines.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Re: The T-Mobile effect...

said by IPPlanMan:

Verizon must not like how its churn number is looking.

Keep saying it and it might come true.

Anon1876
@comcast.net

Anon1876

Anon

Steal of a deal lol

So you pay $40 a month for 500MB of bandwidth, now 1GB, which is still a joke. Mediocre Internet on a mobile devices that seem to chew through that with updates alone. Oh and you can't turn it off without disabling everything but calling on the phone since they've now rolled Internet and SMS/MMS into one.

Awesome. It's no wonder I pay as much as Comcast's entire Triple Play package per month on the lowest tier of any wireless providers service.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next