spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-19 07:01:54: • Feud between ISPs, Netflix, and Internet bandwidth providers continues: Verizon seeks payment for carrying Netflix traffic [arstechnica. ..

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

A new and improved USF?

I guess the tens of billions already wasted hasn't clued the people polled that another USF that's cellular specific isn't a good idea based on the way the fund has already been grossly mismanaged and abused.

Goldman

join:2002-06-21
Maumelle, AR

White House says it won't direct FCC to reclassify broadband...

"...Says it supports a free and open Internet but doesn't have the authority to tell the FCC what to do"

The same WH that forces all citizens to purchase health insurance and spies on virtually the entire world while violating our most basic of Constitutional Rights?

Everyone that thinks the WH supports a free and open internet, raise your hands...anyone...anyone...

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Faster School Broadband...

My two older sons claim a speed test on the student WiFi at their high school maxes out a single-stream N connection. (nearly ~100Mbps). If folks want faster broadband at their school, add that $4 fee to their property taxes. The school's in my area don't need help and my property taxes reflect the reason WHY they don't need help.

At some point this cost shifting madness has to end. If you want good schools in your area, pay property taxes, pay sales taxes, add a local income tax... Folks, we have to stop looking to our neighbor to make us whole.

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to Goldman

Re: White House says it won't direct FCC to reclassify broadband...

said by Goldman:

The same WH that forces all citizens to purchase health insurance

yes because that is so awful. I mean how dare someone get health insurance instead of using the ER and bailing out on the bill and let everyone else pick up the tab. By the way do you have auto insurance or home owners insurance? Are you going to protest those too?

Goldman

join:2002-06-21
Maumelle, AR

Glad you like forced health insurance. Enjoy.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to rradina

Re: Faster School Broadband...

According to voters in this town - "leave my property taxes alone". If you have kids in school, you should be taxed extra for having the kids, and if you use a cell phone, you pay for it and more.

We have the Tabor act - new taxes have to be voted on, and no monies left over from one account can be transferred to another. Might sound good, but it also means that monies can't be transferred to school budgets nor transportation. Let someone else do the dirty work. Only trouble with the dirty work, is will the recipients get all or it or only a few cents due to costs of accounting?

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

In general I understand the feeling about folks with kids should pay for them. However, investing in the next generation should be the responsibility of all. Nothing is more important to the long term viability of a society than the next generation. The next generation will be tasked with providing services for the older generations. Eventually that generation is you and me.

What I'm suggesting is we need to quit with stupid taxes. It's flat-out stupid to tax communication to pay for educational Internet access. It's stupid to tax communication to pay for 911 services. These are LOCAL services and they should be funded by local government and local government should fund it with property taxes.

If an area is unwilling to raise property taxes to fund their services, then they do without.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

Feud between ISPs, Netflix, and Internet bandwidth providers continues...

Verizon is already getting paid to carry Netflix.

It's called your customers are paying you for Internet access.
And Netflix pays for Internet access.

NOBODY IS GETTING A FREE RIDE...

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

The ISPs also forget that if it was not for media services, Broadband would have no demand.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

Exactly...
Napster was a huge stimulator of home users adopting broadband.
While it wasn't exactly legal, it sure did encourage people to spend money on broadband.
Netflix is doing the same, just Legally.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to Mr Guy

Re: White House says it won't direct FCC to reclassify broadband...

Our health insurance premiums nearly doubled, thanks to the mandate. So much for "affordable care". Its nothing more than a massive non-deductible tax increase. It would have been a simple matter to curb ER abuse.

Homeowners and auto insurance are not mandatory, unless you opt to own a car or house, and then, they are primarily required by the lending institution; the government's edict is lesser.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

It's amazing our Monopolist ISP's....

Netflix offers a way for their customers to get the Netflix they want, high quality, AND to save the ISP's money by not having it count against their data, and there is response is:

"You want access to our customers on our networks? THEN PAY UP."

So bassackwards. Netflix offers them a deal, they spit in their faces. Just goes to show how greedy they are and how they view Netflix as competition.

For the people who like Netflix on at&t, Verizon, and others, I feel sorry for you. You're being held hostage and NOT getting what you pay for from your ISP.

No doubt they'll come back and blame it on Netflix, but it's clearly not. It's them.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR
reply to rradina

Re: Faster School Broadband...

Why not tax the corporations to pay for faster broadband? Why does the poor public have to pay for everything, while the corporations funnel money from the public like a blackhole that doesn't give back?
--
www.oregonstatehospital.net - CIA and state of Oregon set me up and targeted me with a microwave weapon, learn more.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Get out much?

Corporations, retail stores, restaurants, etc. -- they all pay local property taxes. They also pay personal property taxes if the state has that type of tax and the entity owns assets that qualify.

They also pay local, state and federal income taxes. At the federal level, rates are 35% once income exceeds a few hundred thousand.

Of course any such discussion must include a disclaimer about effective taxes. Every municipality offers tax incentives for businesses to relocate or build in their region. I believe NY recently offered businesses some kind of 10-year tax-free period if they would relocate or expand in the state. The effective tax rate of businesses has been declining for many years.

Whose fault is that? Politicians. Vote.