spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-19 09:03:05: Users in our Time Warner Cable forum inform us they too are taking part in rate hike season festivities, the cable operator informing users that prices will be going up for many users starting March 1 for both cable TV and broadband services (not to .. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Hopeless...

Broadcast Fee?

I can understand paying more to get more, but with TWC people are paying more to get the same.

This will only get worse with the Comcast-TWC merger. Wait for it... There will be a "systems integration fee".

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits

i smell a consumer lawsuit coming

charging an internet only customer a $2.25 TV fee?
someone at TWCable is really dumb to call it that.
they should have simply done a mild rate increase.

I wonder if this will be mentioned in the Aereo deliberations.
my guess is if the courts rule in Aereo's favor, then all the
cable companies will use that excuse to recover TV fees,
since they pay for OTA retransmission while Aereo does not.

chiz0

join:2013-02-15
Milwaukee, WI

said by Packeteers:

charging an internet only customer a $2.25 TV fee?

Where does it say that?

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25

I like the transparancy

I think it is good to break out these fees to show customers what they are really paying for these channels they don't watch. Time to take it a step further, and break out all the substantial carriage fees. It is the only way to get enough consumer push back to change things up:

ESPN 8$
RSN for baseball team you don't watch $5
RSN for basketball team you don't watch $3
RSN for hocky team in another state that you haven't even heard of $2.50
Networks you can get for free OTA, that you only watch for your team's football game once a week anyway: $5

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Could

Could this be the year I cut the cord? Could this be the year you do?
--
Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef?!

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

High outlet fees as well

Why can't we just buy the box? (even with an cable card you still have to rent it)

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to chiz0

Re: i smell a consumer lawsuit coming

maybe not - regardless Standard ISP only fees are still going up by $2-$3 in April.

»/speak/slidesh···0NDc5NS0

since Turbo speeds are not included in this price increase, this makes paying for
more speed a better deal... now the price different between 15/1 to 20/2 is $7
instead of $10.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to Joe12345678

Re: High outlet fees as well

Agree. Somewhere, I ran across this, which is at least a tiny step in the right direction. Even then, or even with a cable card tuner for an HTPC, or Tivo, you usually (99% of cases I've heard of) have to RENT the card for a couple bucks a month.

»www.amazon.com/Samsung-GX-SM530C···0EYO241Q

jasondean

join:2009-08-28
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Why regulation is needed

This is a classic example of why this industry needs to be heavily regulated. Cable companies rank up there with lawyers as shysters and never to be trusted.

We're forced by one regulation to take the broadcast channels as part of the service and listed as part of basic cable then they tack on a BS fee? It's like buying a car and then adding a surcharge for a license plate frame.

It's time for local governments and federal authorities to prevent this behavior. If you subscribe to a sports tier, you get the sports channels without the "RSN Fee". Basic cable is just that - basic cable and shouldn't be permitted to add essentially duplicate charges. They complain they don't want a la carte pricing but they are essentially doing that without giving us the benefits of it.

Stick an antenna in them... they're done. Go Aereo!!!!

Phroz

join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

since Turbo speeds are not included in this price increase, this makes paying for
more speed a better deal... now the price different between 15/1 to 20/2 is $7
instead of $10.

Turbo and the higher tiers are included in the increase. They just don't have to list them because of the way they word it.

Turbo is standard + $10
Extreme is standard +$20
Ultimate is standard +$50

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

i see... so all month to month people get the increase. only people locked in to some 12 month plan will be safe for a while.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with TWCable and learned something interesting. even if you pay month to month, there may be an under laying rate guarantee for a 12 month duration on your account, even if you didn't contract for it. in my case, it seems i will be locked into the current standard rate (no $3 increase) until September 2014 even though I pay month to month.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
reply to jasondean

Re: Why regulation is needed

Regulation doesn't ensure competition.
Yes... Go Aereo!

phazah

join:2004-05-02
Findlay, OH

additional outlets..

how in the hell are they charging for additional outlets..
wasnt that stopped by legislation many year ago...

i guess cutting the cable will be an option since my bill will be jumping $20...
I can go back reading books...

increase in prices for shitty service.. still having studdering and pixilization after a tech came out and said "nothing wrong on our end, its this jumper cable"

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Yes it was back in the analog days. However now you need a device to access any outlet thanks to the digital conversion so they think they can charge you per outlet again.
--
Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef?!

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Drop OTA Channels From BASIC package?

Can we drop OTA channels from the BASIC package, use an antenna and avoid the fee?

I don't blame cable for this. I blame the regulations that allowed OTA content providers to charge re-transmission fees to cable, satellite, fiber and other systems. OTA content providers shouldn't be able to demand a fee from a system that includes it with other content for customer convenience. If the cable provider wants to pay OTA providers so they can replace local ads, I'm good with that but OTA should not be able to force a re-transmission fee on anyone capable of receiving the signal for free.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Hopeless...

It appears that TWC is taking a below the line approach to fee increases rather that straight up increasing the "3 play" price they are always advertising. If you add modem and STB, outlet increases the typical person may see more than a $10 a month rate increase.

If you must keep cable, Tivo or Windows media center (very cheap) seem to be ways to invest and save money more than ever now. Keep in mind that both have upfront costs, but you own the equipment and can always sell it later, unlike the STB lease fee which is a total loss. For me my W7MC infrastructure is 3 years old and chugging along just fine. I haven't had to invest a dime in over 3 years.

And I know that they are always swapping the latest STB technology in place to justify the $10 a month fee, right?

egilbe

join:2011-03-07
reply to chiz0

in the chart in the article. Last line "Broadcast TV Fee"

kryptonite

@206.21.28.x
reply to biochemistry

Re: additional outlets..

said by biochemistry:

Yes it was back in the analog days. However now you need a device to access any outlet thanks to the digital conversion so they think they can charge you per outlet again.

The digital conversion just forced the broadcasters to broadcast their OTA signal in a digital format. I have a TV in my kitchen that is not hooked up to an outlet.

If you have basic cable (about 70-73 channels), you do not need a cable box. Of course, you won't get the HD channels, but you'll still get the basic ones.

wmansir

join:2002-12-17
Farmingdale, ME

Don't forget "The Guide" fee is now per outlet

The "broadcast TV" fee is interesting for it's slime factor, but the real money gouge is the change to "The Guide" fee. Right now it's $.50 per account, under the new fee setup I've seen it range anywhere from $2.77 - $4.27 per outlet. That in effect increases the set top box fee by about $5 instead of the $1.25 listed. I imagine this will be on top of the $13 DVR service fee for DVR boxes.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Why regulation is needed

No, it doesn't but even if Aereo survives their court battle (which I hope they do), they won't be competition in many markets.

Regulation can keep the cable companies in check in areas where they are the only provider available.
--
-Jason Levine

wmansir

Farmingdale, ME
reply to Packeteers

The blurb to the side of the fee list, which wasn't reproduced in the article says "Your bill may now include a Broadcast TV fee, which defrays the increased costs imposed by broadcasters".

So it likely won't be applied to non-TV customers.

Jason Levine
Premium
USA
reply to phazah

Re: additional outlets..

Our bill will be rising $11.30 a month or the equivalent of 68 Amazon Video On Demand shows a year. (More of you pay for a whole season.) Add in what we are paying for cable right now and cutting the cord is looking like it is more and more of an option. (Plus, I have a laptop that will soon be dedicated to being a DLNA server.)
--
-Jason Levine

Jason Levine
Premium
USA
reply to Packeteers

Does the rate guarantee keep these fee hikes at bay as well. We have a guarantees price until 2015, but I'm afraid that they will sneak in a rate hike in the form of additional/raised fees.
--
-Jason Levine

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

drop catv service

the amount of video free for the taking on the internet is growing.. you do NOT have to pay $50+ to get access to 6 channels of content that most people watch-- the fact that millions of people do when there are alternatives speaks volumes to the laziness and complacency of the subscribership. subscription tv is NOT an essential.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to wmansir

Re: Don't forget "The Guide" fee is now per outlet

do they change that for cable card users as well?

Phroz

join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME
reply to wmansir

The cost of the guide is included in the price of the boxes. I have no idea who actually gets charged the guide fee.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

Its only a matter of time.

Before these companies add enough bottom line fees to face some serious regulations.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by slckusr:

Before these companies add enough bottom line fees to face some serious regulations.

It will be a long time before that happens. They have (paid) regulators in their pockets and these small increases are like death from 1000 cuts to most people.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

wmansir

Farmingdale, ME
reply to Phroz

Re: Don't forget "The Guide" fee is now per outlet

I do.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to tmc8080

Re: drop catv service

That's why a couple of months ago I told them to drop the ~$63/mo. for their "standard" TV, and went to broadcast and public access. What's weird is, since I only use the NTSC signals (a MythTV with a PVR500 card), I should have done this a long, LONG time ago, because basically nothing changed. I expected them to come out and insert a low (high? band?) pass filter which would block USA, TNT, AMC, etc....but I guess they only care about the digital extras, which they can control w/o a truck roll.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!