spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-19 10:26:29: A few years ago you'll recall many analysts were busy proclaiming Netflix would never recover from a very unpopular rate hike and their aborted attempt to spin their DVD business off into a company named Qwikster. Those analysts were wrong. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Break it down by ISP

They need to break this down by ISP....

Would be very telling.

Comcast knows exactly what it's doing.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

2 recommendations

This is a joke. People are obviously willing to sacrifice a whole lot in order to save money. Netflix has an atrocious selection of movies, I had to cancel after a month.
Netflix is nowhere close to replacing pay-TV in my house.

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03

Two Sides to Every Story

This is a good article to read

»arstechnica.com/information-tech···-months/

Who controls performance of one specific application is not always what people initially assume.
--
"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to ITALIAN926

Re: Break it down by ISP

Netflix, no. But Roku3, Netflix, Hulu, Plex, Aereo, etc.? Getting a little closer every day (though not without obvious growing pains).

FIBER

@162.218.222.x
reply to ITALIAN926
The only "joke" is people paying anything more than 15 dollars a month for TV.

anonomeX

@comcast.net

I'm happy...

but then that price "increase" of awhile back didn't bother me at all (since I've always been streaming-only); my price actually went down. The crappy Internet service from Verizon when it comes to streaming is a real killer; I haven't experienced those same problems from Comcast yet (just lucky, I guess). What can save Netflix (and Amazon and every other video content provider) from ISP "not-throttling" and general don't-care-about-saturated-ports attitudes? Something along the lines of a "RokuTivo", which is to say, an Internet video streaming DVR. We need an "STB" for Internet video. We need it now (and for as long as the ISPs are intent on screwing their customers and the sites they visit--so, forever).

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Karl Bode

In calling it "growing pains", you're being too kind. I liked "peering fisticuffs" much better, although that's not a problem all of them are yet facing.

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to FIBER
quote:
hahaha I can afford it, I have a good job, its well worth it. Where do you apply your savings? To your Lexus? I will continue to enjoy my BMW of television viewing, CABLE TV.

notapeer

@comcast.net
reply to IPPlanMan
I think Netflix knows exactly what it's doing as well:

»drpeering.net/white-papers/Art-O···k.html#9

"One of the most clever and devious of all the tactics presented is the Traffic Manipulation Tactic. To understand this tactic you must recognize that the nature of [video] traffic is asymmetric; that is, small requests generate comparatively large responses. The Content posters therefore decides which of potentially many paths this relatively large proportion of traffic will flow.

In the Traffic Manipulation tactic, the Content-Heavy Initiator forces its traffic over the potential peers’ transit services, to maximize the target ISP’s cost of accessing the Initiators customer traffic."

"A [Tier 1] can also be motivated to peer if the other party can demonstrate a significant performance problem that can be solved by peering. Since both have customers that are suffering from packet loss for example, both parties have some motivation to fix the problem."

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to ITALIAN926
Lessee... Netflix with their "atrocious" selection at $8/mo. or cable TV for at least five times that amount...? Hmmm...

For the few times there's a new movie we absolutely, positively have to see (almost never happens): We can rent a BD for $3.50 or, if we really like it, buy it for $15-$20. If going to the local video rental place was too much trouble (it's not, for us), we could get current stuff from Amazon Prime, VUDU, etc. for slightly more.

So if TV is so important to you you can justify burning cash like that to have it: Fine. It's your money. Burn it however you like To us: Cable TV isn't worth it. Not even close.

Jim

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

2 edits
reply to IPPlanMan
Comcast originally denied throttling P2P:
»www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/0···disclos/

The FCC found otherwise.

Now it's denying responsibility for the crap quality of Netflix streaming.

Perhaps the FCC will find otherwise.

Complaint Procedure: »www.fcc.gov/complaints

Select: "Broadband Service and VOIP"

Then select: "Billing, Service, Availability, and Number Portability Issues"

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
reply to ITALIAN926
Do i browse through netflix for 8 bucks a month and finally settle for something mediocre to watch, or do i pay 50$+ to my cable company to surf through a bunch of channels to finally settle on something mediocre to watch. /shrug

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to ITALIAN926
Well many don't.

That is your typical cord cutter. And then there are those that do not justify paying over $1200/yr for entertainment. I know a few that spoil their kids (HDTVs, DVRs, iPads, game consoles, roku and AppleTVs in 10yr/12yr bedrooms) and good for them.

Everything will go app anyway... you'll have your cable channels, and then you'll have your apps (net-video-integrated-appliance) . And they WILL charge you per packet. (they can...just you wait)

Maybe you don't recall the mortgage crisis, the continuing layoffs and unstable market. It isn't boom time for everyone. (sorry, I digressed...it isn't personal)

Nor can most justify the higher percentage of junk on TV and the quality talent on You-tube, Netflix, HULUplus, Amazon Prime..

PinkFloyd said it "52 channels of sh-t on the Tv to choose from..." Update to 5200 channels and moved around monthly...
--
Splat

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Price

Keep the price low and keep me as a customer. No the selection isn't great but for the price is way better than cable.
--
Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef?!

Fiber

@162.218.222.x

1 recommendation

reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

its well worth it. Where do you apply your savings?

Its not really about the savings. TV is generally for dumb people.

ybgrsfd

join:2013-08-21
united state

Netflix was smart!

I have no idea how much it cost Netflix to get manufacturers to make things with dedicated "Netflix" buttons but it worked. I tried 'em out after buying a new tv with that fancy red button on my shiny new remote and have been hooked ever since.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

The world is moving to streaming.....

I think netflix tried to separate the company at the right time. The downside of the DVD half was you had to wait for your movies to arrive in the mail. With streaming you get everything right away when you want it.

I think the DVD side of the business had a very vocal minority who were pissed they were going to have to pay more.

On the other hand the streaming side was picking up massive amounts of steam with consumers who didn't give a crap about renting dvd's through the mail.

With a world of people want it right away, the streaming option is the clear winner and the DVD side is fading away....

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored

join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

quote:
hahaha I can afford it, I have a good job, its well worth it. Where do you apply your savings? To your Lexus? I will continue to enjoy my BMW of television viewing, CABLE TV.

BMW of television? 90% of the programming on cable is crap. Just because you can afford to buy something, doesn't mean it's a good idea to buy it. I can afford cable as well, but between my antenna, HTPC, and Roku I get plenty of programming for a fraction of the cost.

The Winter Olympics look great in HD over the antenna. ESPN and NFL Network have plugins for XBMC on my HTPC. Regular cable series, Hulu Plus, Netflicks, Amazon. Altogether I pay about $20 a month for TV and that includes the free 2 day shipping with Amazon and being able to borrow books.

If you like cable and you are satisfied with what you get for your money that's great, but don't try to claim it's some type of premium service you're paying for. We both pay for crap, I just prefer to pay less for mine.
--
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt the Younger

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to cableties
quote:
And then there are those that do not justify paying over $1200/yr for entertainment.
$1200 a year is a lot for entertainment thats available 24hrs aday, 365 days a year? Just dont agree.

Take a family to see a 2 hour movie $60 , see a broadway play $300-$400. Sporting events $200-$300. Please. My cellphone bill is $180 a month.

PayTV is the best bang for the buck for all my monthly bills. And of course posting such a thing on an INTERNET SITE, is considered nonsense, where everyone yearns for TV to evolve into ala-carte streaming. There are 90+million pay-tv customers in this country that disagree with you cheapskates.

JBT

join:2002-12-06
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Comcast

I love Netflix.

It may not have a GREAT selection of movies, but its got a great selection of documentaries. I don't watch much TV besides sports and even that is not very often. If its not on the channels that I get on my very low end package they didn't want my eyes anyways.

ITALIAN926

1 recommendation

reply to Alakar

quote:
We both pay for crap, I just prefer to pay less for mine
Me? I dont watch "crap" and if you do, you should find another way to spend your free time.

existenz

join:2014-02-12
reply to FIBER
Especially for any channel that has commercials.

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored

join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI
reply to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

quote:
We both pay for crap, I just prefer to pay less for mine
Me? I dont watch "crap" and if you do, you should find another way to spend your free time.

Really? So what is this "highbrow" television you watch that makes cable oh so worth the price?
--
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt the Younger

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Pioneer Wireless

My Favorite Thing About Netflix

I pay for content... and that's all I see. NO FUCKING COMMERCIALS

Hmm $7.99 a month for 24/7 availabiltiy to TV and Movies and no ads
or $79.99 a month (promo price - matching content I watch on Netflix) and has Ads...

Lets see here... Nobody likes ads (seriously) so why pay 10 times the amount for the same thing at the end of the day. Esp when the cheaper option doesn't have ads?

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26

2 recommendations

reply to ITALIAN926

Some of us just don't get all hot for Honey-Boo Boo. Sorry.
--
--

waycoolphil

join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA
reply to buzz_4_20

Re: My Favorite Thing About Netflix

this

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ
reply to buzz_4_20
There is just nothing like Netflix for binge watching. I am up to episode 11 of "House of Cards" and just started Season 6 of "24". If you use Roku 3 then each episode blends right into the next one. Perfect for binge watching on weekends.

DigitalManny

join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA

not satisfied can not stream in HD

Not only can not get HD they do not update movies as often as they use too, whoever made this review needs needs someone to go over clearly it is not all true.

DigitalManny

join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA
reply to FIBER

said by FIBER :

The joke is you are poor difference is most people still can afford cable, problem is you need to get a better job.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

Canceled Netflix Last Month

I just canceled Netflix, so I dont believe this.
There was nothing new being added for TV shows, scifi, or documentaries so I canceled.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.