dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-20 16:15:21: As we've recently noted, Austin is starting to resemble the kind of competitive market most of us only dream about. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

upgrades have already started!

Someone has posted in the TWC forum that they have more than 4 downstream channels looks like 16 downstream bonding could be active in Austin or at least parts of that cluster

look for Kansas City to be next I have a feeling lol! TWC removed several analogs late last year and has been sitting on them now they are rearranging the QAMs and they mentioned a rescan for CSPAN will be needed in March so they could be the 4th MAXX market.

delusion ftl
@comcast.net

delusion ftl

Anon

The real question is not:
Will they deliver 300mbps?

It's:
Will they offer 300mbit for ~70 a month or less?

comcastic
@comcast.net

comcastic

Anon

yea

Yeah, and 300 Mbps and 250gb cap..
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n to motorola870

to motorola870

Re: upgrades have already started!

Funny thing is no mention of caps.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

-

not sure if its in there and if it is, its probably buried deep as tiny fine print hidden away in obscurity but like most cable companies providing internet, im sure there are "caps" on how much data you can pass before you are either charged more or cut off.
if thats the case, lots of luck trying to stream a 1920x1080p HD game stream using Twitch.
DigitalPkrat
join:2003-12-20

DigitalPkrat to dra6o0n

to dra6o0n

Caps are coming as part of the "Comcrap upgrade".

anonomeX
@comcast.net

anonomeX

Anon

Whoop-dee-doo...

I'll happily trade the promised "up to" [whatever latest maxx'd-out speed] anyone is offering for a reliable "at least" 10 [or even 5] mbps at any time of day/night. ("So, Bunky... you wanna stream video, eh? Sorry... we're "not-throttling" right now... maybe later.")
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned)

said by anonomeX :

I'll happily trade the promised "up to" [whatever latest maxx'd-out speed] anyone is offering for a reliable "at least" 10 [or even 5] mbps at any time of day/night. ("So, Bunky... you wanna stream video, eh? Sorry... we're "not-throttling" right now... maybe later.")

Agreed. Also, notice that TWC is only "upgrading" areas in which they face real competition. And they will continue to selectively upgrade based on competition from other ISPs. Smaller markets or markets in states that have passed anti-competitive legislation will probably never be upgraded.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

side by side

last time I checked 1 gigabit SYMMETRIC beats 300 megabits asymmetric at a higher price...

What would be nice is that broadband prices start COMING DOWN again, across the country.. in the northeast.. these greedy companies are just chomping at the bit to jack up prices..

Verizon for example offers 15 measly megaits for $70 a month plus surcharges in Ny-- now that's PATHETIC... way, way past stupid. It's a bold announcement to be anti-competitive and ripe for a dismantling of exclusive telecom franchise rights in NY. Soon Verizon will be NO BETTER than AT&T. And what did Cablevision & Time Warner do? Jack their prices up too..

Apparently, millions of dollars in profit is chump change and continue to pursue a price gouging agenda.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz to motorola870

to motorola870

said by motorola870:

look for Kansas City to be next I have a feeling lol! TWC removed several analogs late last year and has been sitting on them now they are rearranging the QAMs and they mentioned a rescan for CSPAN will be needed in March so they could be the 4th MAXX market.

TWC already working on KC. My condo building was upgraded by TWC right after we signed a deal with Google. Can get 100 now but 300 coming. The building has complained about signal issues for years but TWC didn't do anything until we signed with Google.

The standard price is $95 for 100/5 and supposedly same when 300 comes. When I told them 'Google is 1000/1000 for $70, what do you think I'd do', they offered it for $65.

Just Wonder to 54761437

Anon

to 54761437

Re: Whoop-dee-doo...

Actually, the are upgrading the entire TWC footprint, Of course they will do the areas competition is heavy in first. I do have a question though, it's about competition,but not involving TWC, These Google Fiber areas, Are any of these areas also serviced by Verizon? It seems like it's only TWC and ATT.
Just Wonder

Just Wonder to tmc8080

Anon

to tmc8080

Re: side by side

What's absurd to me is someone living in a 500sq ft apt in NYC paying 2500 and more a month... That's absurd. If the cost of living is high in your area, of course everything else will be too. Let's face it, if they didn't upgrade any HSD and we still had the original 3mbps on RR and 768kbps on DSL, people would complain, and those prices were. AOL use to and still charges people 25.00 for their access and email address (Just found my mother in law still pays for it) Everything goes up, including our beloved Netflix and Hulu in the future. The less we rely on broadband, maybe they would rethink pricing. Right now, it's crack to all us crackheads of broadband

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

Well I guess TWC wants to make sure they don't bleed before the comcast deal

Google fiber seems like it's going to beat the living crap out of them. So they do a big speed bump to avoid too much loss before they hand the pile of crap network to Comcast.

With google eyeing the big markets, it will be some heck of a 2014 seeing more news like this. I bet AT&T will bring 300mbs to Raleigh before to long in fear of the google fiber of DOOM.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Yay, my internet bill is going down!

300/20 doesn't buy me much more than 200/20 does, because the upload speed is still the same either way. So I'll probably take this opportunity to downgrade to something $20 or so less expensive than what I'm paying now...when TWC gets around to upgrading my neighborhood.

Interestingly enough, this puts TWC on much more equal footing with Grande Communications where Grande doesn't have FTTH with the $65 gigabit, though Grande is still about $10 plus modem rental cheaper across the board. They just don't have anything above 110/11 over cable plant (then again, TWC will be the first major provider to break 150M over cable in the US anyway).

Even more interesting: when you include modem rental, TWC's "standard" residential service (currently 15/1, soon 50/5) will only be a few dollars cheaper than Grande's gigabit service. So I'm expecting $30/mo 12-month promos on that tier for awhile.
iansltx

iansltx to 54761437

to 54761437

Hey, you can hope that Google will make good on their threat to come to the Triangle. I'll bet TWC would upgrade their systems in short order there if that happened.

RMH
@verizon.net

RMH

Anon

300/20 is not 300Mbps

Can we stop pretending that 300/20 is 300Mbps. That's 20/20 with speed boost.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Just Wonder

to Just Wonder

Let's hold our breath together and see how that goes.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to Just Wonder

to Just Wonder

Re: side by side

Someone must of overturned your rock.

anonomeX
@comcast.net

anonomeX to RMH

Anon

to RMH

Re: 300/20 is not 300Mbps

You're a "glass is half-empty" kinda guy aren't-cha?
ncwred
join:2014-01-31
Austin, TX

ncwred

DOCSIS 3.1?

Won't 200/20 and 300/20 require DOCSIS 3.1 modems? I know DOCSIS 3.0 can do these speeds on paper, but I'm not sure if in reality they'll do that.

I have a SB6141 which can do 343Mbit down supposedly. (8 channels.)

I'm in Austin and will hopefully have choices for 1 Gps:
AT&T
Google
Grande

Life is good.
54761437 (banned)
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Hey, you can hope that Google will make good on their threat to come to the Triangle. I'll bet TWC would upgrade their systems in short order there if that happened.

Just read about that today, actually. It'd be great if GFiber came to the Triangle; I'd never have to bitch about shitty, overpriced Internet again. There have also been talks for the past year about the GigU fiber initiative, but no news of late. Either way, NC has passed some highly anti-competitive broadband legislation and it'll be interesting to see how Google deals with that here.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to 54761437

Premium Member

to 54761437
said by 54761437:

Agreed. Also, notice that TWC is only "upgrading" areas in which they face real competition. And they will continue to selectively upgrade based on competition from other ISPs. Smaller markets or markets in states that have passed anti-competitive legislation will probably never be upgraded.

Ehhh. As chic as it is to accuse an ISP of cherry picking, they announced these Maxx upgrades in LA and NYC, where there is no Google Fiber in sight. LA has very sparse FiOS coverage from Verizon and a whole lot of U-verse.

Frankly I'm still in shock that I have a 100mbps connection right now.
djrobx

djrobx to RMH

Premium Member

to RMH

Re: 300/20 is not 300Mbps

said by RMH :

Can we stop pretending that 300/20 is 300Mbps. That's 20/20 with speed boost.

While I would certainly like more than the 5 up that I have now, the truth is I use the download way more than I upload. I'd much rather have 300/10 than 20/20. 100/50 vs 300/20 would be a harder choice as it's currently hard to find servers that fill 100mbps.
djrobx

djrobx to ncwred

Premium Member

to ncwred

Re: DOCSIS 3.1?

said by ncwred:

Won't 200/20 and 300/20 require DOCSIS 3.1 modems? I know DOCSIS 3.0 can do these speeds on paper, but I'm not sure if in reality they'll do that.

They'll probably need modems that do 16 channel bonding. 8 channel bonding can do 304mbps but those channels are shared with other subscribers, you'd never see full speed.

dashshow
@myvzw.com

dashshow to Just Wonder

Anon

to Just Wonder

Yes TWC competes with fios in NYC, parts of Dallas, parts of LA

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to Just Wonder

to Just Wonder
said by Just Wonder :

Are any of these areas also serviced by Verizon? It seems like it's only TWC and ATT.

Portland is a Comcast city.
54761437 (banned)
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to djrobx

to djrobx
I was thinking more about Austin, but sure, the upgrades in NYC and LA are based more on the relative size and wealth (and density) of the metro's populace than on competition. What doesn't make sense, though, is TWC's total disregard for the Triangle market in NC. We have a sizable tech sector, a bunch of universities, high levels of education and income relative to the rest of the state, but we get nothing. Thus, the only thing I can conclude is that we're getting boned because of TWC paying off legislators to keep competition away.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to djrobx

to djrobx

Re: DOCSIS 3.1?

said by djrobx:

said by ncwred:

They'll probably need modems that do 16 channel bonding. 8 channel bonding can do 304mbps but those channels are shared with other subscribers, you'd never see full speed.

confirmed 16x4 modems will be needed someone has posted in the TWC forums showing more than 8 channels on the downstream active in their node along with 4 upstream channels

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to 54761437

Premium Member

to 54761437

said by 54761437:

I was thinking more about Austin, but sure, the upgrades in NYC and LA are based more on the relative size and wealth (and density) of the metro's populace than on competition. What doesn't make sense, though, is TWC's total disregard for the Triangle market in NC. We have a sizable tech sector, a bunch of universities, high levels of education and income relative to the rest of the state, but we get nothing. Thus, the only thing I can conclude is that we're getting boned because of TWC paying off legislators to keep competition away.

This, but google shall save us soon.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to 54761437

Premium Member

to 54761437
If Google Fiber proposes a fiber overbuild, pays "market rates for pole access, and gets no preferential treatment compared to another private company willing to do an overbuild, the anti-competitive laws will have no effect. The laws were mainly directed at municipal and public utility FTTH construction. The good corporate owned conservative NC legislature, governor, and judicial branches of government would look like hypocrites if they blocked a privately financed FTTH build.
page: 1 · 2 · next