dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-21 13:27:12: Chatty anonymous sources tell ReCode that Amazon is gearing up for a March rollout of a new Internet video set top box, which would compete directly with Apple TV and Roku's line of products while obviously heavily pushing Amazon's streaming video of.. ..

travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy

Ummm, OK I guess...

If your TV already has an embedded Amazon Video app, I'm not sure what this buys you. Maybe lets you watch Amazon video on non-smart TVs?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 recommendation

aaronwt

Premium Member

Re: Ummm, OK I guess...

said by travelguy:

If your TV already has an embedded Amazon Video app, I'm not sure what this buys you. Maybe lets you watch Amazon video on non-smart TVs?

It would let you get an up to date app. My 2013 Sony BD player has an old Amazon app. My 2014 Sony BD player doesn't even have an Amazon app yet. If it doesn't get a new one then I will end up buying at least one of the Amazon streaming players. Even though I also have several Rokus and other devices that access Amazon. I want the most up to date player to get the best experience.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy

That's true. The Amazon app embedded in my Vizio TV isn't the best for browsing. You pretty much need to know what you want to watch beforehand. Theoretically, the app can be updated, but I don't think they ever have.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

My Sharp TV doesn't even have Amazon app for whatever reason. My brand new Vizio app is very limited. Seems I have to hunt and search for shows. Can't find watch list that is displayed on my old Ruko XD.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
The way I see it, if Amazon won't update their app there, how good could they be at updating their app on their own box?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Cthen:

The way I see it, if Amazon won't update their app there, how good could they be at updating their app on their own box?

The manufacturers will only support the product for so long. They need people to have a reason to get a new device so the apps are not updated indefinitely.

Besides, I would expect Amazon's own streaming device to get more love than someone else's device.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to travelguy

to travelguy
Still no Amazon app on Android or Chromecast. I bought a 1st generation Kindle fire. Amazon pretty much never updated it and never will. I turned it into a remote for my Chromecast. Much better usage.

As to Kindle lending library: NYPL.

I'm done buying shelfware, and if Amazon wants to see it's content, it has to be ubiquitous, otherwise I can get what I want from the NYPL.

Now that Plex is on Chromecast and with an open SDK, Roku is even suspect but they do a great job and refurbs are cheap...

If Amazon wants to keep Chromecast and Android on the shelf, they are my enemy, period. Not a dime until they open up. Even HBO is playing ball...

As to apps on TV, OMG. Shelfware. Save the $200 and buy an OTT device. I don't think I've ever opened up my Sammy to even try...

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD

Anon

said by elefante72:

Still no Amazon app on Android or Chromecast..

Neither Amazon nor google want the Amazon player on mainline android.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

All that matters is Amazon. They could decide tomorrow to put their app on the Amazon AppStore and they would get regular (non-Kindle) Android users (like myself) downloading and using it. This, in turn, would lead to more Amazon VOD purchases and/or Amazon Prime memberships. They don't need Google's consent at all.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak to travelguy

Premium Member

to travelguy
said by travelguy:

If your TV already has an embedded Amazon Video app, I'm not sure what this buys you.

I am with you. This is a head scratcher. Makes little to no sense.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to travelguy

to travelguy
I think its more to do with upgrades. My Samsung Smart TV has an inferior Amazon and Netflix app to my Roku 3. Which is ironic since my Roku 3 predates me TV by about 8 months.

anonomeX
@comcast.net

anonomeX

Anon

My interest is piqued.

If it's not too expensive, then I'll get one regardless--just to see if it works better with Amazon than the several devices I have already.

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622

Premium Member

Re: My interest is piqued.

Get me an app that is supported on my chromecast