spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-24 07:54:52: Comcast users should start seeing improvement in the abysmal streaming performance they've been complaining about for several months. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 6 · 7 · 8 · next

grydlok

join:2004-01-06
Richmond, VA

7 recommendations

Big Deal

Really Big for Karl to make this thread on a Sunday

tirebiter

join:2002-02-16
Champaign, IL

8 recommendations

Comcast: Pay Up!

Hey, Netflix, that's a nice online video service you're running there. It'd be a shame if anything bad happened to your streaming speeds. Ya know, we can make sure sure nuttin' bad happens but it's gonna cost you. Yeah, we know customers already pay us for access to your servers, but if you pay us too we can make sure all these streaming problems being reported in the media will just go away.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to grydlok

Re: Big Deal

I was thinking exactly the same thing! This is as close as DSLReports comes to "We interrupt this weekend for a Special Report..."

connections

@pppoe.ca
reply to tirebiter

Re: Comcast: Pay Up!

That's called extortion.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3

6 recommendations

reply to tirebiter
said by tirebiter:

Hey, Netflix, that's a nice online video service you're running there. It'd be a shame if anything bad happened to your streaming speeds. Ya know, we can make sure sure nuttin' bad happens but it's gonna cost you. Yeah, we know customers already pay us for access to your servers, but if you pay us too we can make sure all these streaming problems being reported in the media will just go away.

That's one way of looking at it I guess. Another way is that these interconnect agreements are pretty standard and have been for years. This is a way to improve performance for a service that some have said is 1/3 of peak Internet usage. The Comcast network is up to the task of handling that kind of volume, and so direct interconnection will really step up performance as it has for many other CDNs.
--
JL
Comcast

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

3 recommendations

Gotta make nice while Comcast is trying to buy Time Warner Cable

Comcast can't afford a black eye right now, and the Netflix bandwidth problem that was escalating was giving them one.

I think this will turn out to be a win-win. Comcast might not like to have to swallow this deal, but it will make their customers happy long term. This makes Netflix subscribers sure to be Comcast subscribers in areas where DSL is the only other option.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Cape Cod, MA -- KE1MO
Tweet! Tweet! -- »twitter.com/funchords

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Finally...

Netflix performance in DC was much better this morning...

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to funchords

Re: Gotta make nice while Comcast is trying to buy Time Warner Cable

Why wouldn't Comcast love this? They're getting revenue they weren't getting before and it should take a load off both their peering connections with Cogent, et. al. as well as the incessant whining from customers. And Netflix is pretty much cost-neutral as well since those external peering routes weren't free.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to funchords
said by funchords:

Comcast can't afford a black eye right now, and the Netflix bandwidth problem that was escalating was giving them one.

Bingo

The Comcast Mafia blinked ...

connections

@pppoe.ca
reply to connections

Comcast has been known for pulling these shenanigans with other providers as well.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to funchords

said by funchords:

I think this will turn out to be a win-win. Comcast might not like to have to swallow this deal, but it will make their customers happy long term.

Me too, and happy customers are obviously a good thing. In this case, customers want awesome Netflix performance and this helps Comcast and Netflix deliver just that.
--
JL
Comcast

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL

3 recommendations

reply to connections

Comcast is not entirely at fault here...Netflix made routing decisions that were clearly not in their customers' interest. Comcast is now getting some of the revenue Cogent was, and this should improve the customer experience. I guess I need a Canadian-to-English dictionary to figure out how that is extortion.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL
reply to newview

LOL. OK, I am sure the Comcast Mafia is just fine blinking all the way to the bank.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42
reply to jlivingood
Does this deal involve Comcast hosting Netflix Open Connect CDN hardware?

connections

@pppoe.ca

-1 recommendation

reply to RadioDoc

said by RadioDoc:

Comcast is not entirely at fault here...Netflix made routing decisions that were clearly not in their customers' interest. Comcast is now getting some of the revenue Cogent was, and this should improve the customer experience. I guess I need a Canadian-to-English dictionary to figure out how that is extortion.

tirebiter is from the US. You're that confused?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
reply to RadioDoc

Yep
Crime DOES pay ...

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL

1 recommendation

How is this criminal?

You guys are a hoot.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL
reply to connections

I'm replying to you, Mr. @pppoe.ca

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20

1 edit

8 recommendations

reply to connections
said by connections :

Comcast has been known for pulling these shenanigans with other providers as well.

It's called business. Comcast has been selling direct links (Wholesale Transit/Paid Peering) to their network for links that don't qualify for Settlement Free Peering for years, before Netflix was around.

Netflix figured they could muscle in and get a Comcast product/service for free, which plenty of others pay for, just because they're popular.
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20

2 recommendations

reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Finally...

said by IPPlanMan:

Netflix performance in DC was much better this morning...

Are you happy you got your official Comcast/Netflix representative statement now?

They couldn't say anything in detail before because of ongoing negotiations....
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26

1 recommendation

Comcast proving yet again

they are the Paulie Walnuts of internet providers
--
--

onthecake

join:2003-08-08
Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Google Fiber

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to jlivingood

said by jlivingood:

said by funchords:

I think this will turn out to be a win-win. Comcast might not like to have to swallow this deal, but it will make their customers happy long term.

Me too, and happy customers are obviously a good thing. In this case, customers want awesome Netflix performance and this helps Comcast and Netflix deliver just that.

Utter bullshit. The customers will be happy until Netflix passes theses costs on to their entire customer base while at the same time these customers will still be getting rates increased by their provider every single year.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Does this deal involve Comcast hosting Netflix Open Connect CDN hardware?

It is interconnect.
--
JL
Comcast

doofoo

join:2002-01-21
Upper Marlboro, MD

Not counting against bandwidth limits - right?? right???

So now that Netflix is paying for this extra interconnect to the comcast network, that means when the limits come back into play (the bandwidth caps) - the bandwidth to Netflix that stays on-net basically (through private interconnects) will not count..

Right? Right??? lol.. Yeah right.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

2 recommendations

reply to onthecake

said by onthecake:

Utter bullshit. The customers will be happy until Netflix passes theses costs on to their entire customer base while at the same time these customers will still be getting rates increased by their provider every single year.

I really doubt Level 3, Cogent provide transit and CDN services for free...

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL

1 recommendation

Forget it, he's rolling

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 edit
reply to DrDrew

Re: Finally...

Sure I'm happy. Are you?
How performance was allowed to degrade to this point represented a failure of both parties involved.

neil0311

join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to tirebiter

It's more about optimization and prioritization. A loose analogy would be the express toll lane on the highway. You pay taxes for the construction of, access to, and use of Interstate highways, but if you want to ride in the express lane instead of sitting in traffic, it costs additionally.

connections

@pppoe.ca

-3 recommendations

reply to RadioDoc

said by RadioDoc:

How is this criminal?

You guys are a hoot.

I pity the crazies that post here.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL

1 recommendation

said by connections :

said by RadioDoc:

How is this criminal?

You guys are a hoot.

I pity the crazies that post here.

Self pity is self-defeating. Seek assistance.