spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-25 13:39:54: For a while there the United States consistently mediocre showing in the fixed-line broadband rankings (speed, price, penetration and usage caps) was seemingly excused because at least we were building the LTE networks of tomorrow. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

YMMV

@comcast.net

Depends on location; YMMV

The speeds in that report seem inaccurate to me. In the Philadelphia region(also NJ & PA & DE suburbs) those AVERAGE numbers are way off for LTE. I get LTE numbers much better than those averages thru this whole area on AT&T. Download/Upload numbers are usually in the 20-30 mbps download and 10-15 mbps upload.

A question arises on how they calculated those averages. Did they do a weighted average based on HOW MANY people get those different speeds in each location? Or did they take the speeds from 250 locations and just average the number without taking in to account how many customers are in each location?

NVZ345

@sbcglobal.net

3 recommendations

Greed

Because there is no regulation, CEO & executives have no problem raising price. Some time we need government to step in to stop this. Otherwise, price goes up while service goes down.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

4 recommendations

reply to YMMV

Re: Depends on location; YMMV

It still does not matter, it comes down to the fact that as Americans we are still paying more per-byte for LTE than most other places. That's what this study is really getting at.

We are no longer innovators, and have not been for a long time.

YMMV

@comcast.net
said by brad152:

It still does not matter, it comes down to the fact that as Americans we are still paying more per-byte for LTE than most other places. That's what this study is really getting at.

The study didn't measure what we pay per byte. It measured what we pay per Mbps(a speed measurement; not a volume measurement). An entirely different measurement and one I think is pretty useless. I'd like to see what we pay per BYTE transferred or per 1000 megabytes transferred, etc.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to brad152
We tend to have more disposable income and have a lower cost of living too.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to NVZ345

Re: Greed

said by NVZ345 :

have no problem raising price

Price will continue to rise as long as the market bears it.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

a lot is due to non unified networks

in the EU I know its far easier to go between carriers with the same phone. in the US that is impossible since they do not use anything unified. You cannot take a VZN phone to AT&T. As such its easier for carriers to lock people in even without a contract.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY
reply to openbox9

Snarky?

this as well is no longer true

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT
reply to openbox9

LOL, market. A duopoly is hardly a market. What kind of capitalism are you for anyway?
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to Kearnstd

Re: a lot is due to non unified networks

I can tell you that my Verizon iPhone 5S that I got a subsidy on for signing a new contract is humming away on my AT&T line, with full LTE support and everything.

But feel free to continue to bemoan how bad we have it here in 'Murica, even though it's really not true anymore except for Sprint, they're the last holdout who refuses to unlock their phones/activate other carrier's phones (and also the sole reason I am no longer their customer).

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to rit56

Re: Snarky?

How so? The linked references are relatively recent.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to ieolus

It's more than a duopoly in most markets.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Surprised?

No surprise here, we are the United States of Corporate America.

Of course we pay more and get less, it is the constitutional right of the stockholders to jam it in as far as they can and smile while they do it.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to YMMV

And that changes what how?

So someone that is on LTE unlimited and uses 15GB would throw off your stats just like someone on LTE unlimited that uses 100mb would. They both may pay $60 a month for the service but your BYTE calculations would show no consistency at all.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to clone

Re: a lot is due to non unified networks

As a general rule he is correct and you probably know that.

MOST phones do not support all 4 big carriers in the US so they can't be switched between. Even the Nexus, which is one of the more compatible phones can't be used on all carriers.

wkm001

join:2009-12-14
reply to clone
The FCC needs to mandate all phones sold in the US work on any network. Before you freak out, frequency planning could easily take place to keep the cost of phones from skyrocketing.

wkm001

join:2009-12-14
reply to Skippy25
The Nexus 5 works on Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile. If the CDMA part works on Sprint is could easily (through software) work on Verizon. Would only need Verizon LTE bands. The Nexus 5 doesn't work on Verizon because Verizon didn't want it to.

This is the major reason I switched to AT&T. Not for the Nexus 5, but so I can buy a new phone from the manufacturer when I want one, instead of second hand on Craig's List or swappa.com.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

No one could have seen this coming.

Wow, the United States (overall) has some of the slowest broadband and LTE speeds, and highest cost for those levels of service, among most other monitored countries. Who would've seen that one coming?

/s

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12

Blame the Unions for the high cost of VZ Wireless......

Oh wait, VZ wireless is non-union

Dryv1yne

@rr.com

Ah yes, capitalism at its finest...

Gotta love the American way. Companies in the U.S. just can't get fleece their customers enough and most consumers are too technically-ignorant to know better.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

This is out of context

We've had LTE for longer, thus our networks are more saturated. Give the other countries a couple of years for saturation to hit while our carriers keep adding capacity, and it will be a rather different story.

anonomeX

@comcast.net
reply to Dryv1yne

Re: Ah yes, capitalism at its finest...

Competition is what drives innovation, faster speeds, and lower prices. Since there's no such driving force almost everywhere in the US--the only "competition" being the efforts to have more and better PR/marketing, we don't really see much advancement where it's needed.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to openbox9

Unfortunately, no matter how much you repeat that mantra, it rings hollow. Virtually major firm selling bits and bit transport continues to offer lower and lower rates, year over year - that is, if you bother to do the math and speak honestly of it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Just like our Broadband!

I mean, you want to be consistent, right?

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to openbox9

The former is dropping and the latter is rising.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to elray

Perhaps, but is that passed on to end consumers?

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to KrK

Details?

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to elray

How does it ring hollow if consumers continue arguing that the cost of fixed and mobile services continue to rise?

PD25

@12.149.8.x
reply to YMMV

I live in NE Philly, and most times I can't break 3mb

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

It's this way because FREEDOM

Why do you people hate America?