dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-02-26 08:24:33: A company by the name of Comporium has beaten Time Warner Cable to the punch in their own backyard, offering some locals 1 Gbps connections for $99 a month. ..

ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

Erm...

Greenlight in Wilson, NC is already providing 1Gbps.

I think they're a bit more expensive. But they're doing it.
catnapped
join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

catnapped

Time Warner needs to SUE

This sort of thing is a TRAVESTY. Pretty soon uppity Americans everywhere are going to want that and it needs to be STOPPED and NOW.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by catnapped:

This sort of thing is a TRAVESTY. Pretty soon uppity Americans everywhere are going to want that and it needs to be STOPPED and NOW.

They kind of ... sort of (in a way) did. They stopped Greenlight and Fibrant dead in their tracks with the anti-muni bills they got passed in this state. Took them 2 tries using a guy who was on his way out the door. But they got them.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

WOW! look at the size of that footprint...

"...For this reason, Zipstream will initially only be available in Knowledge Park. Specifically, Zipstream will be available on Main, Black, and White Streets between Old Town East and Dave Lyle Boulevard, and along White Street between Dave Lyle and the Bleachery. Comporium looks forward to bringing Zipstream to the Winthrop campus in the near future. "
It isn't hard to cherry pick a few blocks around the end of an existing fiber.
It's more difficult to cover the whole town, county, state. in a consistant manner.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Even Google, Comcast, Microsoft and Rome were not built in a day. However, they were able to be built and didnt have "incumbents" doing all they can to stop them whether it was logical and fair or not.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

Even more to the point, at what time should the company begin offering services? What land area would satisfy tshirt? How much building of infrastructure needs to be built out before the company is "allowed" to start charging for the prodcut they're offering and their investment money start to be earned back? Do they have to invest and invest and invest building out the entire city limits before they can turn up one connection/circuit?

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

Crappy, Crappy company

They work hand in hand with Windstream in the Lexington, SC area offering
crappy service for a premium.
They have been dropping fiber all over the place and leaving it hang off poles on the sidewalks so people can mess with it, etc.

Oh.. and let's not forget that they are charging $45 a month for 1.5/256k!
Hell, even windstream is cheaper for about the same speed.. if you can get anything at all thru the pipe after 4pm.

Let's not forget the STUPIDLY LOW caps!
»www.comporium.com/upload ··· mits.htm

No thanks, Comporium.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to rchandra

Premium Member

to rchandra

Re: WOW! look at the size of that footprint...

I'm not saying it's wrong to start with a realistic plan but if you google up a map this is a pretty small commitment...so far.

it will be interesting to see if they can reach out to people BEYOND the area already made serviceable by the fiber, and expand within a reasonable amount of time

mr sean
Professional Infidel

join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

mr sean to ke4pym

to ke4pym

Re: Time Warner needs to SUE

Click for full size
...and one provider to rule them all.

t0wels
Goodbye ATT
join:2012-10-06
Columbia, SC

t0wels to TestBoy

to TestBoy

Re: Crappy, Crappy company

Those usage limits were before they upgraded the tiers. Here's the updated list. »www.comporium.com/upload ··· its4.htm

David0417
Premium Member
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

David0417

Premium Member

Comporium

Time Warner has nothing to worry about, Comporium is the worst company in the telecom/cable field, they charge exuberant rates and provide horrible service. One reason why 90% of homeowners in my neighborhood have AT&T U-Verse because it is either that or Comporium.

They offer very limited channel lineup on the TV side they are a religious based company and will not carry channels that go against their beliefs. They also will not hire anyone unless they share the same beliefs.

Their regular internet is overpriced and very slow. Fiber is great but if you do not have the backbone and interconnection agreements to support it their 1GB will be useless....
David0417

David0417 to t0wels

Premium Member

to t0wels

Thanks for the chart their limits just prove how bad Comporium is, too bad the prices are not included in that list than we could really get a laugh....

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC

Chiyo to David0417

Premium Member

to David0417

Re: Comporium

I moved to the edge of TWC in South Carolina just to avoid having to get Caporium. Co-worker down the street can't get TWC.
crk2h
join:2003-03-19
Murfreesboro, TN

crk2h to David0417

to David0417

I can't believe business class has limits! That is ridiculous!
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to David0417

Premium Member

to David0417

Re: Comporium

You can only hope as more of the FTTH pop up then the Comcasts in the world will do more.
If an area wants FTTH then they need to start a co-op or get another private company build the system. The old cable companies should be told either build a fiber system or lose your monopoly status franchise.
I just want to see most people in non town areas that have power get a good internet connection.

davoice
join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

davoice to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: WOW! look at the size of that footprint...

FYI, I'm in the territory in question. They have stated in conversation (though not in press release yet) that they're in the process of readying all of their existing FTTH neighborhoods to support the ZipStream service. I have personally seen their network techs out at strange hours changing out equipment.

They just raised the top speed of the FTTH service to 100Mbps in preparation for further speed increases. All new developments built in the area after 2006 were FTTH. (And that was the housing boom around here, so there are a LOT of FTTH neighborhoods.)

Currently $59.95 buys us 100Mbps. »www.comporium.com/29715/ ··· d-plans/

}Davoice
davoice

davoice to David0417

to David0417

How are those low limits?! Comporium counts upstream and downstream independently. So their Fiber Elite is a 600GB cap. Cable modem Elite is 465GB. Comcast is only 300GB TOTAL. So Comporium is higher than what Comcast is pushing. How is that so bad?

And my Fiber Elite, at 100Mbps (recently speed increase) is only $59.95/mo. How is that laughable?

}Davoice