spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-03 09:52:40: Comcast has quite a chore ahead of it in order to gain regulatory approval, given concerns about vertical integration, overall reach and concentrated market power when it comes to content licensing. ..

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Close but not quite..

I don't think the idea of a new company and a spinoff is quite the right idea.

I'd like to see the customers go to existing companies already in the area.

For example, here where I am in NC, I have Suddenlink, but I know some other places in the State have TWC.

In this case, I'd like to see Suddenlink pick up those customers and areas.

The same could happen other places I am sure.

No idea if SL would even be interested in such a deal, or if others would as well.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Re: Close but not quite..

The idea is completely ridiculous. What would be the point of merging two companies to immediately divide back into two companies? The only point could be that one of the companies get all the good assets while the other gets the excrement.

There is no logical reason a merger/division could make any sense.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

FureverFurry
Premium
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI

Tax benefits, maybe ? Something like "washing" losses through another company?

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR
Spinning off customers to an existing company could only be done where a second cable company exists in the same footprint as Comcast or TWC.

Given the high cost of overbuilding, the likelihood of finding such a company is pretty small. It would be easier to spin off the customers to a new company.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

It wouldn't be an existing company. Those markets would become their own "brand" own company.
dfxmatt

join:2007-08-21
Evanston, IL
It's certainly not going to create competition, that is certain. They did this with AT&T in the Ma Bell thing and it simply created more problems, not less.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

And they don't compete now so, point being?
dfxmatt

Evanston, IL

That this is still *Worse*, not better.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

still is not worse. nothing changes.
dfxmatt

Evanston, IL

uh, consolidating one giant company with another is a change as giant as the companies themselves are. The impact of this does make things a lot, lot worse.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
TWC spunoff several Adelphia markets that they didn't want. They became "Windjammer" and then ended up back at TWC and now are part of Zito Media which- in the end is STILL Adelphia just under a new brand but same family.

One could claim the new company could fail and Comcast could pick them back up- or they could have some sort of agreement that BHN has in place with TWC with their ownership stake.
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream

This is BS

The surely do compete. I don't care so much about the ISP side but Comcast owns NBC and Hulu and Time Warner owns WB and a chunk of ABC. Cable companies love to point the finger at contect companies for higher costs...well, less competition in content companies.....am I the only one seeing this?

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

Re: This is BS

said by bn1221:

Time Warner owns WB and a chunk of ABC.

Didn't Time Warner split off Time Warner Cable awhile back. So Time Warner still exists - not being bought out by Comcast - with Warner Brothers, ABC, and other content. Time Warner Cable - with phone, Internet, and cable TV service offerings - is a completely different company.
--
-Jason Levine
Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16

It's been five years since Time Warner Cable split from Time Warner Inc and I still can't believe people don't get it. And Time Warner never had any involvement in ABC.

fg8578

Salem, OR

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant!
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY

How about you be polite and not vent your hatred at someone who asks a question? I get a bill from "Time Warner" for cable TV, internet and phone. Its easy for people to get confused.

fg8578

Salem, OR

Was I being hateful? I thought it was funny. Sorry if you didn't see the humor in my comment.
waycoolphil

join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA
Disney owns ABC.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

You're right. I got so caught up in fact checking "TWC owns WB" that I let "Time Warner owns ABC" fall through the cracks!
--
-Jason Levine
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Time Warner Cable, LLC and Time Warner, Inc - NOT the same company.

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC
Yes, you are the only one.

One more time: Time Warner and Time Warner CABLE are two different entities. One does not have any fiscal tie to the other.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Only that TWC pays to use the TW brand.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
You don't see why there is confusion on this?
smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
Not sure where you are getting information from, but Time Warner Cable hasn't been part of Time Warner for a while, so they own no part of Warner Bros. And Disney owns 100% of ABC. They do not share any ownership with Time Warner or Time Warner Cable.
jarred125

join:2014-02-27

Great Idea! NOT

Oh yeah this sounds wonderful. I am sure my area would be the one dumped into obscurity which will just make a bad situation worse.

notahater

@209.117.47.x

I want to stay on Comcast!!

Regardless of any personal views on big companies, market power, etc, Comcast has been a solid broadband provider with speeds and quality and with the X1 box, their video service is really innovative..

I for one do not want to be "divested". Keep me on Comcast
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Re: I want to stay on Comcast!!

TWC doesn't cap their broadband connections, if that sort of thing matters to you.

Mr Guy

@charter.com

Re: I want to stay on Comcast!!

To the vast majority that used under 300 GB it doesn't.
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
Same feeling... I wouldn't mind trading usage CAPS for faster internet speeds and better TV hardware.

If for some reason I get 'divested' that will limit my options and reduce not increase competition. I would have to cancel and go to satellite TV.

Customer service for me is a non issue unless I want do dual date or have a pen pal. I don't care if customer service read scripts or don't speak good English all I want is a service with fast internet speeds and good TV hardware.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Sell them to Mediacom

When AT&T broadband was winding down, not all of their assets went to Comcast. They had the systems in Iowa and Massachusetts but Iowa went to Mediacom and Massachusetts went to Comcast.

Maybe the more rural systems will go to the new company. I'd want Maine to go to Comcast as I may end up with property (possible inheritance) up there and I'd want to keep my E-mail addresses. I'd still use DirecTV for TV though but the line of sight is touchy (as determined by my DishPointer App). I got good view of the 99/101/103 but the 110 and 119 are iffy. I'd just use a SL3 dish and hit the 99/101/103 birds.

I'd rather have grandma though. Property and E-mail addresses are secondary.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Re: Sell them to Mediacom

This is why you never use your ISP for email. $10.95 a year for a domain. GoDaddy offers free email for your first domain. Or you can have it dirt cheap per year with other hosts.
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

1 recommendation

Or GMail. What a weird post in the first place.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Even outlook.com will let you use your own domain.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

ooh I have a name for this company

Comcast, name the new company Adelphia!

:P

ofc Comcast will probably keep a lot of the actual ex-Adelphia footprint. Cant see them selling off the ex-Adelphia cable systems in Virginia.

Personally, I would rather see Comcast spin off their NBC assets. Comcast owning a major media producer is dangerous.

••••••••••••

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Funny Idea

Actually the idea of spinning off some the customers into a separate company is kind of funny since it would probably be about two years before Comcast takes over that company and gets a tax write off in the process. Beautiful!
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

xcomcastemp

@mybrighthouse.com

Give the customers to other ISPs

Give the customers to Brighthouse, they do heavy business with TWC.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Re: Give the customers to other ISPs

The question is does Comcast/TWC have the $$$ that they would want for them. And the next question is Comcast/TWC and BHN could dissolve what BHN gets from their other parent- TWC so who does BHN go to at that point. BHN could experience some massive problems on both content and HSI if the agreement between TWC and them is voided.

Anoonoo

@comcast.net

Bright House

I wonder how this will impact Bright House...

Bright House isn't part of TWC but they share a lot of the same stuff. Same boxes (just different logos) and if I recall correct they share contracts for TV offerings (probably to get better deals on negotiations etc.)

That said, spinning into a new company would be dumb and make it pointless for the merger.
The simple fact is no merger should be approved with any company. Too little competition exists already. It's sad really because over seas not really a whole lot of competition neither but they also get faster for 1/4 our cost. Here we have to try to use competition to not get butt rape but yet to get around it they all just merge.

I think in the states too many greedy people get involved is all. No problems with a business making money but you don't need 1000's of people making millions that do nothing.

•••••
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Spin it all off

How about they spin off the ISP side, Content side and the Cable side into different companies being Comcast is walking a very fine line with those already.

It was silly they even let them buy the content side when they are already major owners of the cable side. Now being that content is going the way of ISP's as well, they should have to separate that as well (as should all of them).

•••••••