spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-04 10:57:01: Most of you are smart enough to check out your potential new home's broadband options before moving. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

No, Duh!

I may move in a few years and if the area I'm moving to doesn't have decent cable or or other HSI options, I won't be moving. No matter how nice the house or area is.

I'm too connected to take such a risk with everything that a move involves and then be stuck with it.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

Florida

Not in Florida most of the people don't know what Broadband is.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
Wait until they die off. With a generational change in 10-20 years, things like ignorance of technology will begin to disappear.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
Along with the unavailability of faster speeds.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

No survey: How many would pay 10% more?

on a $400k home how many would pay $40k (plus debt service) over a 40 year mortgage to ADD fiber service?
how many would pay 20% ($80k)? for what will be 30Meg FTTC/advanced DSL service that britian now says will reach 95% by 2017 (unless they delay it again) ? plus the cost of actual service.

Makes $600 a year for 25/5 cable delivered, maintained and financed privately without obligation, to your door INCLUDING the first 300GB per month seem pretty cheap.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

Your comment is misleading in a few ways. The most important is that broadband availability is gaining in importantance. Like parents wth children look for quality school districts, the younger generation values fast and reliable internet.

Google Fiber is the case study that shows it doesn't take $40k-80k to add fiber. Even other options like muni fiber provide value to the community and save customers money over the Comcast equivalent.

People are done waiting for slow, overpriced internet.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL

True

I'm preparing to sell my house, and one of the first questions the realtor had was what broadband services were available.

ptbarnett

join:2002-09-30
Lewisville, TX

FIOS was a requirement for me....

When we were shopping for a new house last year, I knew that FIOS served the area where we were looking. We had it at our previous house, and I didn't want to give it up.

We found a house that was exactly what we wanted, and we were discussing the offer. But something was nagging me: I had met the previous owner, and he told me he had TW cable, and FIOS had never been installed.

So, I went to Verizon's website and put in the address. It came up: "Sorry, FIOS is not available at your location". I said to my wife -- sorry, we can't buy this house. The look she gave me could have set ice on fire.

I thought: "something must be wrong. Look again." I had mistyped the address: 103 instead of 105. Once I corrected it, FIOS was available.

We bought the house. The fiber was run from the street to our garage before we even took possession, and the install was complete before we moved in. It was a good thing, as we had a horrific ice storm the next day and were house-bound for 3 days.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Same for renters

If I had to move, I would say the deal is off if the facility had an exclusivity agreement with a certain provider. I would also want my own cable modem connection instead of using a shared Wi-Fi connection provided by the facility. I trust shared Wi-Fi as much as I trust the NSA (even though they are snooping on us anyways). I would also want a facility that allows the same choice of services that a single family house has (CDV, HSI, and cable) instead of bulk purchasing agreements that limit the options.

Of course finding a place that would take an 80 lb Alaskan Malamute and a cat would be hard.

I could of course just use a Verizon Wireless LTE home router.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

Multiple options

When looking for a house last year, I made sure not to wind up in a monopoly situation as I've had before. For me it wasn't just enough to have HSI available, i needed to have options. We now have FIOS and Optimum available, but using FIOS at the moment.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Buying

I will likely be buying a new house soon and you can bet your rear it will have high speed internet available. Not DSL, but either cable or FTTH. If there is FTTH anywhere in the region then only FTTH and not just cable.
--
Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef?!

Anomon

@199.212.27.x
reply to openbox9

Re: Florida

Not really in 20-30 years you will be where they are now.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to morbo

Re: No survey: How many would pay 10% more?

I agree it adds value, it's the 20% I question.
If it adds 10% then it MUST be worth some additional payment, something that people here don't seem to believe in.

And we know nothing about google fibers cost, but so few muni's have ever reached breakeven, it's impossible to say they have saved anybody (yes service may have had lower monthly fees, because of the funding /risk taken directly by homeowners/taxpayers...still a cost even if not paid monthly on the broadband bill.)

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

1 edit

2 recommendations

Utter nonsense!

Please, someone, anyone, show me comparable homes in comparable neighborhoods, where the sole distinction is poor broadband, such that I can buy them for 20% less.
Even at the very low US median of $188K, that's over $35K in savings.

The website's sampling methodology is complete garbage - it is counting browser search selections, not correlating closed sales prices to actual broadband speeds.

Few on this forum are willing to shell out even $5K to get wired with broadband. And yet, they're willing to finance an extra $35K+ for a house that has such access, while overlooking schools and transportation?

If you believe that, I have a bridge in Arizona you might be interested in...

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to tshirt

I'm in KC and don't think GFiber particularly raised home values except in one area that had dilapidated bungalow homes that got a boost because of GFiber enticing startups. If a neighborhood getting GFiber is next to one that isn't getting it, then there might be a difference but will be hard to say until rollout is more broad.

There is a high income KC suburb, Overland Park, that will not get GFiber but all surrounding suburbs will. Will be interesting to see how that impacts OP.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to brianiscool

wizardry

@140.254.245.x
reply to elray

Re: Utter nonsense!

They must have surveyed yuppies since they rank internets above school quality

bpratt

join:2006-10-24
Redwood City, CA

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

I went thru exactly this math. I live in the heart of Silicon Valley, yet my home was in a dead spot with no high speed Internet option aside from satellite (no DSL, no cable, no line of sight for microwave, no 4G signal). I'm 100% sure that the 15K I spent to get conduit run and cable installed will be a drop in the bucket compared to how much it would cost me if/when I sell and there was no Internet available.

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to elray

said by elray:

Please, someone, anyone, show me comparable homes in comparable neighborhoods, where the sole distinction is poor broadband, such that I can buy them for 20% less.
Even at the very low US median of $188K, that's over $35K in savings.

The website's sampling methodology is complete garbage - it is counting browser search selections, not correlating sales prices to actual broadband speeds.

You do realize this was in the UK.

Insight

@btcentralplus.com
reply to Anomon

Well said !!
Many are living in the now, unaware of their futures and how they WILL change as adults over time.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Same for renters

My mother in law moved to an apartment that had an exclusive deal with mediacom. You had to pay mediacom no matter what, and most of the residents there went with Dish or DirecTV, seriously, and the internet was spotty as shit, not working half the time, and mediacom could care less to send anyone out, since their "base price" was worked into your rent. These kinds of exclusive things are now illegal in most states, but that does not stop a monopoly

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

Again you mislead, as that is what you do best.

First off, you have no idea how many successful muni's there are compared to failed. From what I read, there are far more success stories than failures.

Second, you have no idea how many of the muni's were done completely without putting taxpayers at risk as they could have very well be bonded without government gaurantee. Which, to the best of my knowledge, is the most common bond sold in the US.

Third, you have no idea how much more someone is willing to pay for a home that already has FTTH or is being built and they have the option of choosing this.

Lastly, when I move I will not buy a home that does not have at least 500mpbs service. Therefore, any home that does not have that is worth $0 to me thus broadband adds 100% value to the home.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

watch closely...

with all the anti-consumer moves being done by AT&T, Verizon and Comcast.. that puts plenty of homes in the lower value category! WEST VIRGINIA THANKS YOU, VERIZON!
you can also look at another calculus-- the horrible state of competition between providers and their broadband costs.. that also puts a crimp on affordability. if you can get broadband and not afford it, what good is the home you buy/rent?!?
while I'm not going to say that Kansas City Ks & Mo are going to go up in value just because google fiber landed... but it's quite possible a city like Austin TX could end up with real estate values similar to that of California.

With some luck maybe there will finally be political pressure put on incumbent ISPs to keep deploying faster networks and offering MORE for le$$, instead of LE$$ for MORE.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to brianiscool

You mean in most of Florida, you can't get broadband even when it's in demand. We had to fight tooth and nail to get broadband at my place in zephyrhills(took just a bit more than 5 years). And in the end only one company wanted to come in, and that was brighthouse. Never mind that there was a remote at the end of the complex, but neither verizon or century link wanted to do anything.

tabernak

join:2013-08-10
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T DSL Service

It was a concern for me

I bought a house last year and every house that interested me I checked on the broadband prospects before considering it. I was concerned with getting a somewhat rural location with a couple acres and knew if I got a place that didn't have it now, I may never get wired broadband. In the end I was fortunate and found one with a couple acres that had At&t 6 Mb DSL. A few months after I bought it, they upgraded us to U-verse and now I have 18/2 and one of my first thoughts was how it'd help my property value.

Who knows if the 20% holds up in the US, but I suspect there's some truth in it. Also, there probably tend to be corresponding factors that play into that figure. Houses in cities are typically more expensive and typically have broadband, but obviously they're not more expensive just because they have broadband.....

elray

Santa Monica, CA
reply to Mr Guy

Yes, I do. Did Karl disclaim so in the headline?

UK homes cost substantially more than the US, so the premium would be even more extreme, even before you consider the tax factor.

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to tmc8080

Re: watch closely...

said by tmc8080:

while I'm not going to say that Kansas City Ks & Mo are going to go up in value just because google fiber landed... but it's quite possible a city like Austin TX could end up with real estate values similar to that of California.

Not to worry, KC, KC, and Austin housing markets aren't going to see a fiber bump.

People price homes based on employment and schools, not broadband, and in terms of broadband, they don't want to pay $70/month, and they aren't seeking gigabit or 100M service.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to Chubbysumo

Re: Same for renters

Why do you say these exclusive things are illegal in most states? Why would it be illegal for a multi-dwelling building to enter into such an agreement? Such agreements are very prevalent in Hawaii. I didn't have a TV for ten years recently but I still had to pay my full rent which includes Oceanic TWC analog Standard TV package (and would also include Standard internet tier except there are not enough broadband users here to be able to get a bulk agreement for that as well as TV).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to IowaCowboy
"If I had to move, I would say the deal is off if the facility had an exclusivity agreement with a certain provider. I would also want my own cable modem connection instead of using a shared Wi-Fi connection provided by the facility."

That would be EXACTLY part of what I would inquire about also!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
Would you feel the same if there was only ONE broadband provider? There is only one here. Bulk gets you better prices for TV and would for broadband also if this building had enough that were subscribing to OTWC internet.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson