spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-04 16:49:13: To get their acquisition of NBC approved by regulators, Comcast proposed a merger condition requiring they provide $10, 1.5 Mbps broadband to all of the homes that qualify for the National School Lunch Program. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

ATT?

I seem to remember a similar deal with I think ATT where they had to offer very low cost DSL. And apparently they actually do but you will be hard pressed to find anyone with it anymore. Its so hidden and utterly unpublished.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42
Yes a 2006 AT&T Bellsouth merger condition required AT&T offer something like 768 kbps for $15, but IIRC they hid the offer on their website so that nobody could find it. There's kind of an art to offering up conditions that have the maximum PR and regulatory impact with the littlest effort.

Cohen is riding this Internet Essentials for all its worth.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29

this is a joke

or a setup right...

Amazing but dont get me wrong here. Target the poor and get what you want now a days??

Maybe i should invent something say the poor can use it and bingo im rich...

ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Does $10 include everything?

$10, does that include modem rental, or those people have to buy their own...

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

Who sets the bar

Being Poor is that based on amount of gov't aid you get included in that number for address that gets the $10 internet.

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

One hurdle

One hurdle to adoption is it's not available to current subscribers. In the words of a recent Comcast video circulating: "You are already a Comcast subscriber? Fuck you!"

Eligibility Conditions:
»www.internetessentials.com/how-it-works
quote:
Have not subscribed to Comcast Internet service within the last 90 days

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA
reply to ipwn3r456

Re: Does $10 include everything?

I'm pretty sure it includes modem rental, so that makes it..$3/month broadband?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

6 recommendations

Needle in a haystack

This FCC mandated "Internet Essentials" was so hard to find on Comcast's website that the FCC actually fined them $800,000 for their failure to make the option easy to find and sign up for.

»FCC Fines Comcast for Violating NBC Merger Condition

This was also one of the points Senator Al Franken brought up as an example of Comcast's failure to adhere to the legal obligations it owes the public as a result of their agreement in the NBC/Universal merger. Franken urged the FCC & DoJ to take this and other shenanigans into account when reviewing the proposed Comcast/TWC merger.

»consumerist.com/2014/03/03/frank···le-deal/

This recent public relations ploy by Comcast is nothing more than them putting on their Sunday best for the upcoming merger reviews.

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA
reply to Millenium

Re: One hurdle

Because if you have Comcast service, it's obvious you can afford it and don't need $10 broadband

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Out Played Already

How pathetic. At least attempt to make yourselves look caring by matching what another ISP is already doing.

How about you offer 5MB for life to all of your foot print with a the low $300 one time install fee that can be paid over 30 months for these same people or all up front for those that don't qualify?

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream

Crap

I find this crap, only because Time Warner has a 1 up 2 down for 14.99 which ANYONE can qualify for. The Comcast deal is only for people with kids in the free school lunch program and IIRC only for 2 years. I have firsthand experience with the TW side and only second hand experience with Craptastic from users located in my NJ office.

Phil75070

join:2005-08-17
Mckinney, TX

"Internet Essentials" program

Sounds like a bribe to get approval to me.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to westdc

Re: Who sets the bar

said by Karl Bode:

provide $10, 1.5 Mbps broadband to all of the homes that qualify for the National School Lunch Program

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to Skippy25

Re: Out Played Already

Don't you think that if there was money to be made doing that it would've already been done? And no, I'm not counting Google with its numerous other streams of revenue propped up by the "free" service. Remember all of those ad-sponsored dial-up providers in the 90s?

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Karl Bode

Re: ATT?

AT&T reneged on this any plenty of other promises such as greenfield FTTP deployments. IIRC, there were some other wireless divestitures which ended up being reversed once the world was focused on terrorism and $5 for a gallon of gasoline.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Cohen is riding this Internet Essentials for all its worth.

The horror of it all, actually taking credit for a program that provides BASIC connectivy to kids the otherwise would not have it. Maybe not perfect but a step in the right direction,.
And now they want to take it a step further, to cover those that still don't have it.

About Internet Essentials:

"Internet Essentials from Comcast is the nation's largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program. It provides low-cost broadband service for $9.95 a month plus tax; the option to purchase an Internet-ready computer for under $150; and multiple options to access free digital literacy training in print, online, and in-person. Eligible families must have at least one child eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program, including public, parochial, private, and homeschooled students. We estimate a total of approximately 2.6 million eligible families live in our service area and therefore could apply for Internet Essentials. "
They can't make people apply, and if the family already has faster internet, then this wouldn't help them anyway.
It is possible for Comcast to try to do good, but will Karl ever acknowledge it?

Ericthorn
It only hurts when I laugh
Premium
join:2001-08-10
Paragould, AR

The word altruism...

.. should never be used to describe anything Comcrap does.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to Skippy25

Re: Out Played Already

Don't give a shit how they make themselves look just so as in the end the merger is approved. Like it will be.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42

5 recommendations

reply to tshirt

quote:
The horror of it all, actually taking credit for a program that provides BASIC connectivy to kids the otherwise would not have it.
Cohen's a real mother Theresa. Heart of gold. No doubt. I just think maybe three hundred press junkets every year where you pat yourself on the back for being altruistic when all you actually give a shit about is getting your merger approved is a touch theatrical.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

3 recommendations

reply to tshirt
What about older people or disabled people on fixed incomes with no children?

mingkee27

join:2013-06-21
Brooklyn, NY

watch out the cap

It can be only 10MB and $10 for additional MB.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

5 recommendations

reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

The horror of it all, actually taking credit for a program that provides BASIC connectivy to kids the otherwise would not have it. Maybe not perfect but a step in the right direction,.

Let's describe this program a little further, shall we?
This program that you think Comcast should be thumping their chest over was mandated by the FCC as part of the NBC/Universal merger agreement. A part of the agreement that Comcast tried to sweep under the rug by making it so hard to find on their website, that people who qualified for it never even knew it existed ... until once again, the FCC stepped in and held their feet to the fire, and fined them a $800,000 for failure to follow terms of the agreement. This is what brought the revelation that such a program existed to the people that may be qualified, certainly not anything that Comcast did.

Contrary to Comcast taking bows, they should be hanging their head in shame that they would be taking credit for something that wasn't their idea in the first place, and then failing to provide even a modicum of support for, until they had their pee-pee whacked.

said by tshirt:

And now they want to take it a step further, to cover those that still don't have it.

No. Comcast wants to use this program, who very few qualify for, and tout it as an example how generous they are, prior to the extensive FCC, DoJ & Senate reviews on the upcoming Comcast/TWC merger. This is Comcast at it's best ... spinning the media to make themselves look good, until you actually look beneath their hype.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo

Internet Essentials

I have the internet essentials from Comcast, and there are a few things I found:

1) It is easy to get if you qualify. All I had to do is send a copy of the form I got from my boy's school showing that he was on the free lunch program. Comcast sent me the full self-install kit. When it was determined that there was no signal to the house, Comcast did a truck roll (with a very nice and smart tech) to reconnect the cable from the house to the pedestal on the easement between my back yard and the neighbor's.

2) The speed is 5 Meg down and 1 meg up. I get these speeds with no issue. It also beats AT&T's DSL that I used to have, and the best speed I could get from DSL was 3M down and 512K up.

There is no cost for the modem. Granted it is an old used Thompson modem, but it does the job well.

In my area (Chicago 'burbs) there is no data cap. The DSL I had has a 150GB cap. With the kids, wife and myself, it was not hard to blow this cap and have to pay extra. Now I don't have to worry about it.

Faster, cheaper, no cap. Far better than the AT&T that I had. I am satisfied.

And no, I don't work for Comcast or any of its partners.
--
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to ssavoy

Re: Does $10 include everything?

$2 now.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

1 recommendation

reply to bn1221

Re: Crap

Yeah, exactly. That's what I was thinking when I saw this. As much as TWC is more evil than Comcast, that is one redeeming value of them. They should make TWC's $15 plan systemwide.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
reply to Karl Bode

It's a job...that probably more than pays the bills, but one VP doesn't make this commitment on his own, he just has to sell it/milk it for all it's worth.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
reply to jjeffeory
ComCast is not social security or welfare, they can choose to do a charitable act.

Mxypltz

@mycingular.net

Com-crap

I see it time and time again! A company swallowing it's competition to make up for the droves abandoning cable for better offerings. You know a company is getting too large when they sneak in things like advanced billing (billing one month in advance) or still billing for services while a customer is "soft" disconnected yet still obviously has no services. Yet no one seems to complain mainly because they think they have no other choice. Of course Com-crap is going throw a little bone or rather shards to the poor in a failing attempt to get their way. Better believe they will sneak it in just like everything else.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

Not if they're using it as a condition to a merger where they will become even larger and wield even more power and influence... They're collecting money, so it's not social security or welfare.

If they're going to offer a tier to low income people, they should offer a tier to low income people regardless of anything other than their income.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to newview
said by newview:

Comcast should be thumping their chest over was mandated by the FCC

This was first proposed by comcast as one of the conditions...The FCC CHOOSE to accept it.
said by newview:

spinning the media to make themselves look good, until you actually look beneath their hype.

Because in your opinion, they are inherently evil and should immediately cease serving the 10's of millions of mostly satisfied customers they already reach?

It may not be what you want but a lot of people are likely to be well served by this deal. and likely several million more families without broadband now will have it available next year.