dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-06 16:11:40: Speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference today, AT&T CEO Randal Stephenson stated that the company will be launching their 1 Gbps "Gigapower" U-Verse tier somewhere in the Dallas area starting this summer. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

GFiber is working

AT&T is rolling GIgaPower out (albeit only in areas where they already have FTTH) in order to nip GFiber's attractiveness in the bud in those areas. It'd be embarrassing for them to have Google showing up in AT&T's headquarters town and offering better speeds than that company. But if AT&T can launch FTTH at GFiber speeds this summer in Dallas, then the city won't join the ranks of San Antonio and Austin in cutting Google a sweetheart deal to move in with FTTH of their own...which means that AT&T doesn't have another competitive bloodbath like they'll have soon in both Austin in SA (where they're going up against TWC everywhere, Grande some places and GFiber in others).

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

1 recommendation

Gilitar

Redirection of VIP investment

"We are redirecting VIP investment to fiber to the home deployment, and in fact we are going to launch the service in Dallas this summer," stated Stephenson.

Probably means that more rural and fiber in the loop customers are getting left out again.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Needs FTTH, right?

It sounds like they are not converting existing plant to fiber, so you'd have to be served via fiber already for this to possibly benefit you, yes?

I believe we are on copper for U-Verse in my community (up to 18 Mbps is available at my address in the north DFW 'burbs). I was hoping for a reasonable alternative to TWC in case the Comcast merger results in disaster, but it looks like this ain't gonna be it for me.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

N0ooo!

I had a job offer there. I was going to my to Austin for GigaPower. Oh, well back to apply for jobs.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: GFiber is working

Even if AT&T delivers on its "fiber-to-the-press-release" (to borrow one of Bode's pet terms), why would that prevent Dallas from cutting a sweetheart deal with google?
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

TBBroadband to iansltx

to iansltx
GF isn't fully working. Those cities that have "deals" with Google still are years down the road from even having services and in many the City has to foot the bill from the start. You aren't going to find many cities that are going to pay to have the network build out studies done like Google asked, change their permitting process, just for Google, nor give Google anything they want- including paying any and all legal issues that could and would arise from Google.

In Austin- they gave Google the right to add line to any and all poles- including those owned by AT&T when in fact Google is NOT a licensed carrier in the state, and the City was breaking the law just to say "us too" for services YEARS down the road.
Merlin37
join:2012-06-08
Dallas, TX

Merlin37 to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

AT&T is rolling GIgaPower out (albeit only in areas where they already have FTTH) in order to nip GFiber's attractiveness in the bud in those areas.

Not accurate, there are many areas in Austin that qualify for GigaPower and were previously FTTN.
Merlin37

1 edit

3 recommendations

Merlin37

Good grief

There has never been a press release from AT&T that didn't get slammed by this site. AT&T was already planning a fiber build out in Austin a long time before the Google announcement or else they would not have been able to beat them to the market by 6 or more months. Google also does the same deep packet inspection on their customer accounts to get the $70 price point they offer. AT&T is getting crucified for offer the customer a choice of whether or not they want to agree to that in order to get the cheaper rate.

And speaking of not releasing subscribers, Google has been in Kansas City for years now and will not release the number of customers they have. How about an article slamming them for a change?

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

6 recommendations

atuarre

Premium Member

You must work for T
Merlin37
Dallas, TX

Merlin37

The fact that I have stated that numerous times on the forums doesn't make that a groundbreaking discovery. My employment does not make me wrong.

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

3 recommendations

Gilitar to Merlin37

to Merlin37
said by Merlin37:

There has never been a press release from AT&T that didn't get slammed by this site. AT&T was already planning a fiber build out in Austin a long time before the Google announcement or else they would not have been able to beat them to the market by 6 or more months. Google also does the same deep packet inspection on their customer accounts to get the $70 price point they offer. AT&T is getting crucified for offer the customer a choice of whether or not they want to agree to that in order to get the cheaper rate.

It's because AT&T is making it look like they're doing something extra when they're really not. Take this example... all they are doing is diverting VIP funds so a select few can enjoy 1 gbps. AT&T will then parade to the press that they have 1 gig fiber while the funds they diverted will leave many like myself with DSL while they steadily increase prices on outdated DSL. Yeah that's right... $54 for 6 meg DSL!

Any questions?

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

2 recommendations

atuarre to Merlin37

Premium Member

to Merlin37
It's great you give your employer free publicity!

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

Upgrade . . . .

They will never upgrade my area. They have been saying for years they would, but I dont think it will ever happen. Thank God I have TWC at least so I can get a decent speed on my internet. They keep trying to push Directv down my throat but theres just no way.

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

said by MeInDallas:

They will never upgrade my area. They have been saying for years they would, but I dont think it will ever happen. Thank God I have TWC at least so I can get a decent speed on my internet. They keep trying to push Directv down my throat but theres just no way.

Yep me too. They keep sending me junk mail trying to push Directv. Either offer me U Verse or leave me the hell alone about TV. As soon as Mediacom gets their butt in gear I'll be AT&T clear.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to Merlin37

Premium Member

to Merlin37

Is there a way to determine whether an address is serviced by FTTN or all copper?
Merlin37
Dallas, TX

Merlin37 to atuarre

to atuarre

Re: Good grief

said by atuarre:

It's not like I have been working in telecommunications for 4 different companies over the past 20 years and have multiple professional certifications in networking. Thanks for your input though!

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

MeInDallas to Gilitar

to Gilitar

Re: Upgrade . . . .

I finally got rid of AT&T the end of last year, and now they have a campaign going to get me back. Every person that calls me I tell them to either upgrade my neighborhood or forget about it. Like clockwork a few days later I will get another call from them, with the same old offer and nothing new. You think they would get tired of hearing no, and wasting their time with me. Their service wouldve been good 10 years ago, but that was 10 years ago
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to Merlin37

to Merlin37

Wait, where are those? Didn't know that AT&T was already swapping VDSL for FTTH over the past few months.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

7 recommendations

Karl Bode to Merlin37

News Guy

to Merlin37

quote:
AT&T was already planning a fiber build out in Austin a long time before the Google announcement
Nonsense.
jca2050
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Dallas, TX

jca2050 to Merlin37

Premium Member

to Merlin37
said by Merlin37:

said by atuarre:

It's not like I have been working in telecommunications for 4 different companies over the past 20 years and have multiple professional certifications in networking. Thanks for your input though!

Do you or will you have any upcoming info on deployment schedules/locations?
Merlin37
Dallas, TX

Merlin37 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

quote:
AT&T was already planning a fiber build out in Austin a long time before the Google announcement
Nonsense.

You can't make that statement as a fact and you know it. That is your opinion and backed up by nothing more.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

3 recommendations

JackBauer to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
AT&T is the company that wouldn't even do FTTH in areas with intense cable competition.

Yet with no high speed competition they were going to jump to FTTH in Texas for the heck of it?

I am skeptical as well.
Merlin37
Dallas, TX

Merlin37 to jca2050

to jca2050
Yes but won't be shared publicly until it is ready to be shared publicly.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to iansltx

to iansltx

AT&T has rebuilt many of their old copper network in place of FTTH. Michigan and Wisconsin are two states that have been rebuilt in some areas.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to Merlin37

to Merlin37

Very true!
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to jca2050

to jca2050
The same as I can tell you that this network is being shared by resellers.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

Right, but non-greenfield builds are rare, and I'll believe them when I see them in Austin.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to Merlin37

to Merlin37

Seems like most of what you're saying isn't fact, either, since you have all those convenient NDAs to fall back on when people press you for details.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

3 recommendations

Karl Bode to Merlin37

News Guy

to Merlin37
said by Merlin37:

said by Karl Bode:

quote:
Nonsense.

You can't make that statement as a fact and you know it. That is your opinion and backed up by nothing more.

As someone who has written about AT&T for most of his adult life as a career I say again: total nonsense.

The burden of proof is on AT&T in claiming they were planning to offer 1 Gbps fiber to the home all along.

I don't know anybody who actually knows AT&T's business practices who would believe that. They might have been CONSIDERING bumping speeds on FTTH deployment areas to 100 Mbps or something, but to claim they were planning 1 Gbps fiber all along (and that the Google Fiber announcement was a coincidence) is just total and absolute nonsense.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Just call it "Wired 5G"...

See I'm a marketing genius!

We'll call it "Giga" but of course it isn't anything close. Marketing!
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next