dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-06 16:11:40: Speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference today, AT&T CEO Randal Stephenson stated that the company will be launching their 1 Gbps "Gigapower" U-Verse tier somewhere in the Dallas area starting this summer. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

CaptainRR to Gilitar

Premium Member

to Gilitar

Re: Redirection of VIP investment

I gave up on thinking I will ever get DSL from at&t.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to Merlin37

Premium Member

to Merlin37

Re: Good grief

said by Merlin37:

AT&T was already planning a fiber build out in Austin a long time before the Google announcement or else they would not have been able to beat them to the market by 6 or more months...

Bwahahahaha.....
KrK

KrK to Merlin37

Premium Member

to Merlin37
No, of course not. What you say, however, does.

anonny
@suddenlink.net

anonny

Anon

Makes FIOS prices competitive??

I live in Plano where there is both FIOS and Uverse. hopefully this forces FIOS to upgrade speeds WITH COMPETITIVE prices

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Merlin37

Premium Member

to Merlin37

How about when at&t starts announcing things Consumers like, instead of things designed to bilk them out of more money?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Gilitar

Premium Member

to Gilitar

Re: Upgrade . . . .

I get similar mail from them about DirecTV. At one point a few years ago they had brochures in the local Best Buy indicating U-verse was coming to town. We have been waiting for that competition with Cox ever since then.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to Merlin37

Premium Member

to Merlin37

said by Merlin37:

Google also does the same deep packet inspection on their customer accounts to get the $70 price point they offer.

This has been tossed around by a few Google Fiber naysayers, but nowhere have I read that this is actually the case. Nothing about Google Fiber requiring Deep Packet inspection and monitoring on Google Fiber customers.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

The burden of proof is on AT&T in claiming they were planning to offer 1 Gbps fiber to the home all along.

T always use the same excuse
quote:
Yes but won't be shared publicly until it is ready to be shared publicly.

etaadmin

etaadmin to MeInDallas

to MeInDallas

at&t will upgrade small (rich) neighborhoods at snail's pace... just like they did with LTE.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to JackBauer

Premium Member

to JackBauer

said by JackBauer:

AT&T is the company that wouldn't even do FTTH in areas with intense cable competition.

Why bother with Google's minimal FTTH deployment then?
Merlin37
join:2012-06-08
Dallas, TX

Merlin37 to 54761437

to 54761437
said by 54761437:

Seems like most of what you're saying isn't fact, either, since you have all those convenient NDAs to fall back on when people press you for details.

I have been proven to be accurate time and time again. Your willingness to believe what you want to be true clouds your judgement.
Merlin37

Merlin37 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

As someone who has written about AT&T for most of his adult life as a career I say again: total nonsense.

The burden of proof is on AT&T in claiming they were planning to offer 1 Gbps fiber to the home all along.

I don't know anybody who actually knows AT&T's business practices who would believe that. They might have been CONSIDERING bumping speeds on FTTH deployment areas to 100 Mbps or something, but to claim they were planning 1 Gbps fiber all along (and that the Google Fiber announcement was a coincidence) is just total and absolute nonsense.

I thought the burden of proof was on the journalist to vet what they passed off as fact unless it was qualified as speculation or assumption? By your own admission, you don't know anything about AT&T's internal plans.

Still looking for that article on why Google refuses to say how many 1GB fiber customers they have in Kansas City after being in the market for 2 years. It is only fair since you call out AT&T for not publishing numbers after 2 months. I will not hold my breath until it is published.

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to etaadmin

to etaadmin

said by etaadmin:

at&t will upgrade small (rich) neighborhoods at snail's pace... just like they did with LTE.

Exactly, and unfortunately for me I'm not rich, so they just ignore my area like they have done for years. They actually put fiber in all the newer homes right across the main road from me, but my side of the road they just left the old crap as its been for the last 50+ years.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to Merlin37

Premium Member

to Merlin37

I'm guessing it's more than a few since they seem to want to expand to so many more cities.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870 to MeInDallas

to MeInDallas

said by MeInDallas:

said by etaadmin:

Exactly, and unfortunately for me I'm not rich, so they just ignore my area like they have done for years. They actually put fiber in all the newer homes right across the main road from me, but my side of the road they just left the old crap as its been for the last 50+ years.

that is exactly what At&t has been doing all throughout the area anyone that had a residence built in the last few years likely has fiber optics from At&t but if you neighborhood was built in the 1990s or earlier it is either FTTN VDSL or ADSL2+ Uverse and you are lucky to get 18Mbps max or 24Mbps and 45Mbps is a pipe dream for most areas. heck my area is stuck at 24Mbps yet At&t pulls the advertising for 12Mbps and 24Mbps lol off of their website! I guess the only thing good that can come out of this is that TWC and Charter bump up their speeds throughout their territory instead of cherry picking already installed FTTH deployments.

At&t is definitely up to something though as I have seen them running new fiber throughout the DFW metro in areas that have FTTN Uverse I guess they could be running new fiber to FTTN VRADs' for FTTH but I doubt it besides my area probably doesn't have the income level that At&t wants to do it unless they have enough existing customers in my area to justify doing it. I know a few At&t techs one that works in the fiber department and another that does installs and they don't know what is going on in my area fiber wise.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to openbox9

to openbox9

That's easy.

AT&T is apparently smart enough to realize that if they are seen as not being able to compete even in their home market, their entire relevance would be called into question by some (many?)
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

So AT&T was effectively competing with cablecos and the only real threat of competition is from Google's press release? I don't buy that.
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42 to anonny

to anonny

Re: Makes FIOS prices competitive??

said by anonny :

I live in Plano where there is both FIOS and Uverse. hopefully this forces FIOS to upgrade speeds WITH COMPETITIVE prices

That would be great, but I doubt AT&T will bother to expand their fiber footprint in a place where an incumbent provider can compete with them.

In your area (and mine), Verizon has been upgrading their standard offering in lockstep with Time Warner cable. TW currently tops out at 50/5, and "standard" FIOS is 50/25 (or 75/35 if you spend another $10/month). There is a slower "budget" service.

TW is upgrading their 50/5 service to 300/20 in select areas now. I expect them to focus where they have to compete with FIOS or some other provider. If they do so in the D/FW area, I believe Verizon will quickly match it.

I can get up to 500/100 from FIOS, but it's another $220/month above what I pay now. I'm not willing to pay that kind of premium. But, when FIOS was first installed, 50/25 was the premium speed, and higher speeds weren't even available.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to Merlin37

Premium Member

to Merlin37

If you're waiting for Karl to be fair in his opinion, you're wasting breath. This isn't a news site, it's a blog and editorial. It's no secret he hates carriers, it's an easy thing to pander to the constituents on this site, and he happily obliges that. That's not to say it's without some reason as AT&T and most all carriers have made pretty poor public policy PRs from a customer standpoint. So for whatever reason, whether they are releasing this service in response to Google or not, they did respond and are one of the only carrier to do so, but that buys no goodwill here.
Mizzat

Mizzat to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:

How about when at&t starts announcing things Consumers like, instead of things designed to bilk them out of more money?

How about gigabit fiber to consumers? The latest mobile devices? Get real, it's easy to ignore the positives and hate big business, and you're doing just that. Say what you're really expecting. You won't be happy until they release unlimited gigabit fiber to YOU and do it for free because you deserve it.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to Mizzat

to Mizzat
Let's be fair, though: He is willing to pay users for their content - even if it runs counter to his own opinion.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat

Premium Member

It's the horror of a company trying to make more money, though!

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

Re: GFiber is working

said by TBBroadband:

Google is NOT a licensed carrier in the state

That's not true. google has a "state issued certificate of franchise authority" (SICFA) to provide video service in Austin:

»www.puc.texas.gov/indust ··· 40700001

The SICFA was issued by the Texas PUC.

Do you have a link that says the City of Austin gave google the right to add a line to AT&T poles?
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to openbox9

to openbox9

Wired telcom is generally a duopoly. Their only competitors offering a similar product in terms of features / performance / price.

Google Fiber is a disruptive product, and I think when their brand new competitor now offers what 50x the internet performance? Well I think that, again, being in AT&T's home market - it is something for them to be particularly concerned about.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Mizzat

Premium Member

to Mizzat
What gigabit fiber to consumers? It doesn't exist! Even in their own PR's. Ignore the positives? Excuse me while I try and find some. Rest of your "comment" is just fecal matter being sprayed orally.
KrK

KrK to Mizzat

Premium Member

to Mizzat
The horror of consumers trying to find value, though!
i2Fuzzy
join:2009-02-25
Garland, TX

i2Fuzzy

Fort Worth

Well....hopefully they'll extend it west to Fort Worth. I've got FTTH U-verse and I'm currently paying $62/month (after taxes and junk fees) for 18/1.5 which pulls about 11/1.7.

I'd pay $70 for Google Fiber if it was here, which means I'd pay $70 for Gigapower. I'm sure Google does some of the same tracking.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

Google is built on tracking. There apps and I use them may be free but they know more about you then members of your family.
WhatNow

WhatNow to JackBauer

Premium Member

to JackBauer

It should be fairly easy for at&t to upgrade their FTTH to higher speeds. You just change the equipment out on both ends.
I don't know what SBC did in their area but from what I saw Bellsouth normally did FTTH in new greenfield developments. Where BS has blown it is the FTTC fiber to the curb It was a great idea when it came out but the company had no upgrade plan for equipment already placed.

We will know how VIP will work by 2020 because they plan on turning off POTS switched service by that date.
The price of fiber equipment is dropping fast so things a company can afford to do now they could not in the past. One thing that has changed is the lasers are modular so you don't have to change out the whole electronic card as you did in the past.

That said what they do for the POTS customers that have never had DSL seems to be up in the air except for a wireless connection. Life should be interesting for employees and non new type ip customers.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:

Rest of your "comment" is just fecal matter being sprayed orally.

Funny, I said that same thing about all your comments I read, just complaints of someone that wants to complain. You provide zero value.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next