dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-06 19:05:03: The country's top antitrust official, Bill Baer, will be recused from reviewing Comcast's proposed $45 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable, reports Reuters. ..

Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium

Go Renata Hesse!

Quash this before it happens so I don't have to give up internet.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Re: ...

Why? It won't change anything from what it is today. And why does Comcast buying TWC have anything to do with you giving up the Internet? But I'd be willing to bet that you'd never give it up even if the merger did go through.
Millenium

Millenium

said by TBBroadband:

Why?

I have Time Warner Internet now and I have no interest in becoming a Comcast customer.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080 to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
How would you like $600 docsis 3 modems and $15 rental fees, and byte/overage billing? Cut one less provider out in the top 60 markets and that's just a sample of what you'll get in the future.
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

1 recommendation

smcallah

There won't be one less provider in the top 60 markets, there will be exactly the same number after the Comcast/TWC merger.

TWC will never expand into Comcast's markets and vice versa.

Why do people keep acting like there will be one less competitor in existing markets? I'm just not getting that at all.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

1 recommendation

atuarre

Premium Member

Just out of curiosity, are you an employee of Comcast?
lancguy
join:2012-03-25
Lancaster, PA

1 recommendation

lancguy

And why should it matter if smcallah is employed by Comcast? It doesn't change the fact that Comcast doesn't directly compete with TimeWarner in most of the markets they serve.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

And even if Comcast is blocked, Charter would probably swoop in and buy them. Out of the frying pan, into the friar.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to lancguy

to lancguy
AT&T had 8 years to bring next generation broadband to BellSouth customers. Instead, they brought a pathetic pack of lies and headaches for the consumer with de-facto cable monopolies because of their inferior infrastructure build-- and that's where they decided to build at all. Making Comcast greedier does nothing to help the consumer or light a fire under AT&T to abandon DSL for fiber optics direct to the consumer.

Innovation reached a plateau with prices and services the consumer either can't access or afford. Therefore, it doesn't matter if you have one or the other. Your still screwed.

Nick5
@verizon.net

1 recommendation

Nick5 to TBBroadband

Anon

to TBBroadband
The issue is the pressure they can apply on Netflix and others (more likely TV networks in immediate future) with such large market control. Nobody is going to be able to stand to lose so many customers in a peering and/or broadcast fee dispute. Collusion was possible before, but under one company it's garenteed.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Millenium

Premium Member

to Millenium
said by Millenium:

Quash this before it happens so I don't have to give up internet.

Wouldn't quashing it before her public investigation, imply the same sort of predetermined outcome not based on facts you oppose?
Or you don't care if it ends decision is the one you favor, it's only illegal favoritism if it goes against you?
Millenium

Millenium

said by tshirt:

Wouldn't quashing.....

Nope. "Quash this before it happens" means "Don't let it happen."

Go away Comcast. Go away!
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned)

Can you give one solid reason why? Or will you just keep saying "hurr, durr, I hatess the commcassst, durr!"?
Millenium

Millenium

said by clone:

Can you give one solid reason why?

That I don't like their service is as solid a reason as there is for me not to want them.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

KrK

Premium Member

What? Semblences of integrity?!?

What is this behavior? Conflicts of interests? Amazing.
Millenium

1 edit

Millenium

Re: What? Semblences of integrity?!?

Let's hope. And hope Renata isn't getting a sweet consulting position with Comcast after she retires from the feds.
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah

Re: What? Semblences of integrity?!?

The Fed? The Fed refers to the Federal Reserve Bank.
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571

Renata Hesse of the FCC .....any relation to CEO Dan Hesse of Sprint?

Anyone know??????
Unusual last name, but in the Telecom biz.....

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

Re: Renata Hesse of the FCC .....any relation to CEO Dan Hesse of Sprint?

5 seconds with Google
»www.fcc.gov/document/ren ··· sactions
quote:
Washington, D.C. -- Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski
announced today the appointment of Renata Hesse as Senior Counsel to the Chairman for Transactions. Ms. Hesse (no relation to Dan Hesse, CEO of Sprint)

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

Thanx for the info. I wondered the same thing.
mja1980
join:2013-05-09

mja1980

They don't compete directly, like at&t and t-mobile do. This eliminates no competition, the real issue is how much market share of the actual channels Comcast will have if this goes through.
mja1980

mja1980

They don't compete directly, like at&t and t-mobile do. This eliminates no competition, the real issue is how much market share of the actual channels Comcast will have if this goes through. ...