dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-10 12:23:39: T-Mobile continues to disrupt the sector on price, and its latest effort involves tweaking their Simple Choice plans even further. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Thank you, T-Mobile.

I am glad that T-Mobile has chosen this route. I love seeing AT&T/Verizon claim they aren't concerned yet suddenly make adjustments to their ridiculous plans that they haven't changed in years (except to raise prices). Great work T-Mobile!

jreffner
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
West Chester, OH

jreffner

Premium Member

Contract Question

If I'm still stuck under an AT&T contract, then there is no getting out other than paying the early termination fee is there?

Also, If I did pay the early termination fee, would AT&T immediately unlock my current iPhone?

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to gigahurtz

Anon

to gigahurtz

Re: Thank you, T-Mobile.

Thanks for what? Not bothering to offer service within 40 miles?

Also what you failed to miss is that their $70 unlimited data plan is now $80. I call that a price INCREASE

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

True it is a price increase, but one with a beneficial incentive also. VZW or ATT would just do the increase and drop data amounts and tell you you will love it. As it is the boost on the 70.00 plan is an opt in deal. For now I'll stay where I am.

thxultra
@mooseintl.org

thxultra to Mr Guy

Anon

to Mr Guy
Actually there is a 2.5 gig increase in tethering and added international text and if you are a current customer with unlimited you can keep the old plan at the old price so no price increase after all. I have no need for international text or more data for tethering so I will simply keep my old plan which is fair.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to Mr Guy

Premium Member

to Mr Guy
How much does Verizon and AT&T charge for unlimited everything?

"Can you hear me now............... Good!"
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga

With taxes and fees?

Does anyone have this plan in Texas? (Dallas/Austin/San Antonio)
What are the taxes and fees percentage-wise? So I can figure out the "final" price

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Thanks

On T-Mobile here, and happy to see the default data included going up to 1gb.
shmerl
join:2013-10-21

1 edit

shmerl

Not good really

So far it looks like they dropped unlimited from the $70 plan, i.e. introduced caps. They don't need to price the unlimited LTE at the highest price. There is no need to cap data at all really. They can set a flat price for unlimited 3G/LTE and set it lower than their current highest plan price. So all those graded plans with higher price for less caps are really a rip off. T-Mobile is making a step back.

Yes, T-Mobile is better than others, but until they'll offer a truly unlimited plan for normal price, they aren't really fair yet.
CSD8086
join:2004-03-12
US

CSD8086 to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy

said by Mr Guy :

Also what you failed to miss is that their $70 unlimited data plan is now $80. I call that a price INCREASE

Not really. I have the current unlimited add-on. When I log into my account, I can add additional tethering data at $10 per 2 gigs (ie: unlimited phone data + 4.5GB tethering for $30, etc.) In short, there has always been a price differential of $10 over their limited data plans to have unlimited phone data.

T-Mobile has simply dropped the ability to get unlimited on their lowest paid tier (2.5 GB -- soon to be 3GB). Today's $30 unlimited add-on (unl+4.5GB) is being bumped to 5GB with no price change.
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx

uhh more expensive.

I currently have unlimited everything through sprint for 70$. I was thinking of switching, but I'm not going to pay more, especially when sprint will subsidize my phone.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy

Well, given I'm not running a datacenter on my phone, and the fact that I'll still have unlimited (throttled) connectivity after that first 1gb, I'm more than happy with the changes. If I feel the need to watch netflix or something bandwidth intensive on my phone, I'd be doing on Wifi anyway.

robbyglack
@comcastbusiness.net

1 recommendation

robbyglack

Anon

price increase for most

i work at a cell phone store. most people use between 1gb and 2 gb. those that use more usually use way way more(over 5GB) basically hard core streaming video users or those who find ways around tethering restrictions. in fact 90% of the people looking for unlimited at my store are plan to use workaround for unlimited tethering.

very few people will save with this plan. people on the $50 and $60 options will have a little extra data they never use. those paying $70 now will have to go to the $80. this is basically a $10 bump up on the unlimited pricing disguised as a discount for everyone else.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

-2 recommendations

Mr Guy to tired_runner

Anon

to tired_runner

unlimited data is unsustainable and when T-Mobile actually gets customers they will find that out sooner than later.

Oh and T-Mobile's unlimited "everything" doesn't included unlimited tethering. So I hardly call that unlimited EVERYTHING. Seems T-Mobile uses the same dictionary as Straight Talk.

Seriously I wish Verizon would bring back unlimited data because it would take less than week for all those whiners figure why you can't have it. Then they'll be bitching about there slow ass connection if they can connect at all.

Oh and on Verizon and At&t yes they can hear me because there is actual service. T-Mobile? Hmm yes driving 40 miles to use my "unlimited data" sounds like fun. NOT.
Have fun trying to use that unlimited data in the 90% of the land mass of the lower 48 that doesn't have a lick of T-Mobile service.
Mr Guy

Mr Guy to shmerl

Anon

to shmerl

Re: Not good really

said by shmerl:

There is no need to cap data at all really.

No offense but you really need to study up on how cell data works.
Gandalf4503
join:2002-06-27
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

Works for me

I have the $50/month plan + a 15% perpetual discount, so after taxes, fees, and so on I'm paying $46.61 in total per month. I always use data over WiFi (where can't you find WiFi these days?) and so I've never gone over my 500 MB limit. The fact that it's now bumped up to 1 GB is awesome.

Considering what I'm paying, and the fact that I just outright purchased a Nexus 4 to avoid all the carrier contracts and locked in fees, I've saved a ton of money. My mother, for example, is on ATT and even with a 20% discount she's paying over twice what I pay per month for pretty much the same features. She gets a little bit more data, but it's not like she uses it anyway.

So really, TMobile all the way. The only thing better than this is perhaps pre-paid so you don't have monthly fees at all.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to Mr Guy

Premium Member

to Mr Guy

T-Mobile has many customers already. I can experience congestion depending on which tower I use and time of day.

And again... Does Verizon and AT&T offer unlimited tethering? Or what is it that they offer......... What are they called........ Data buckets?

As for coverage...... Well..... The urban customer like myself appreciates their very ample coverage, with exception of marginal indoor reception, and again that depends where you are.

90% of land mass lacks T-Mobile coverage? WOW!! It's no wonder they're only fourth biggest US telecom carrier.. Who woulda thunk it!!!!!
shmerl

shmerl to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy

It works like any other network. Simultaneous load can be an issue, not the total amount of data you can use a month. Capping any plan for data is like limiting the distance you can travel on some road. It does not help unloading the traffic if the road doesn't have enough lanes. It's just a dumb marketing rip off scheme. I.e. I don't believe that data caps are used to prevent network congestion, it's a bogus excuse.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to Mr Guy

Premium Member

to Mr Guy

Whoa, you sound mad. I thank T-Mobile because they've forced AT&T and Verizon to adjust their plans. T-Mobile is clearly making an impact on their subscribers. I am actually an ATT customer but I love competition and I'm glad T-Mobile is there to push ATT to do better. It's a price increase, but you do realize the services have DOUBLED, right?
gigahurtz

1 recommendation

gigahurtz to Mr Guy

Premium Member

to Mr Guy
My goodness, you sound very angry. Did your hours get cut at Verizon? Obviously, T-Mobile's coverage is no where near AT&T or Verizon, but it's important to note that competition is healthy for the entire wireless industry. Do you really want AT&T and Verizon to just mozy along without any concern of another company? Of course, since you likely work for one of them I would imagine you do.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
I have unlimited LTE tethering for $30 on my VZ Iphone 5s. I also have $30 unlimited data and the 34.95 voice plan.
CSD8086
join:2004-03-12
US

CSD8086 to thxultra

to thxultra
The new international text (inclusive of all but three countries) will be added to all Simple Choice customers, regardless of your soon-to-be "grandfathered" unl+2.5GB data add-on.

In fact, I suspect the unl+2.5GB data will really become one of those "secret" retention add-ons that you'll be able to call and beg for.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

2 recommendations

tired_runner to Eagles1221

Premium Member

to Eagles1221
Retail data plan? Not some grandfathered, corporate or family share discounted plan?

We would need to compare apples to apples.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar to tired_runner

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

T-Mobile has many customers already. I can experience congestion depending on which tower I use and time of day.

And again... Does Verizon and AT&T offer unlimited tethering? Or what is it that they offer......... What are they called........ Data buckets?

As for coverage...... Well..... The urban customer like myself appreciates their very ample coverage, with exception of marginal indoor reception, and again that depends where you are.

90% of land mass lacks T-Mobile coverage? WOW!! It's no wonder they're only fourth biggest US telecom carrier.. Who woulda thunk it!!!!!

T Mobile's new shiny LTE network is already slowing down due to the mass influx of new subscribers. Spectrum is a finite resource for the carriers and LTE networks
will continue to get slower and slower until "5G" gets here. Also, believe it or not Sprint is the only one with the available spectrum to assure the network will be able to handle the rapidly increasing data load.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

Thanks for what? Not bothering to offer service within 40 miles?

This gets old.
said by Mr Guy :

My wife and I each just got our 4G data allotments doubled, with no price increase.

Here's what TMO has done for us since we signed-up: Given us a discount on their already-nicely-priced plan. Given us international data roaming and discounted voice and text roaming, at no additional charge. Made available, for a modest additional fee, free and discounted international calling and texting. And, now: Doubled our high-speed data allotment.

Oh yeah: And annoyed the livin' daylights out of VZW, "at&t" and Sprint

Yay TMO! \o/

Jim
shmerl

shmerl to jreffner

to jreffner

Re: Contract Question

Not sure if this helps, but T-Mobile has some compensation for the termination fees of those who switch from other carriers:

»www.t-mobile.com/offer/s ··· fee.html

I don't know how it works exactly though (never used it).

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

CCNnorthcali to jreffner

to jreffner
Something you can do now is call AT&T and ask for the unlock code for your phone (say you'll be traveling internationally). T-mobile will reimburse you for your AT&T early termination fee when you turn in your old phone and buy a new T-mobile phone. You can go buy a cheap flip phone and turn that in instead of your current phone, it just has to be in good condition and turn on. Then buy the cheapest T-mobile phone when you switch and sell it on eBay/Craigslist. You can then continue to use your unlocked AT&T phone on T-mobile and you'll be contract free.

It's easier than it sounds, you can Google around and see what other people are doing.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

2 recommendations

clone (banned) to shmerl

to shmerl

Exactly. This applies to any network, wired, wireless, whatever. You must design for peak load. "Data hogs" who are using data all day long don't contribute much to the peak traffic.

And the old "spectrum is finite" line is getting a little tired. Not only are all 4 carriers hoarding tons of spectrum, they can always "split the node" by adding more sites in areas where there is heavy traffic. Since they want to be cheap and not monetize the spectrum they hoard, nor do they want to expend capital on upgrading with new cell sites, they choose to implement caps.

And, being the good sheep most people are, they bend over and accept it. There is no reason networks should be congested, period. Yet ever time a carrier wants to whine or moan about FCC regulations or the "spectrum crisis", they just let it clog up and they get their way.

jreffner
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
West Chester, OH

jreffner to CCNnorthcali

Premium Member

to CCNnorthcali

Re: Contract Question

Thank you! This sounds great, except that I've tried to get AT&T to unlock them by telling them I am traveling overseas (which I really am), but they still refuse because my iPhone 5S is only 6 months old. Any other ideas?

cybah
join:2000-03-09
MA

cybah to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz

HA! I was just thinkin that myself. He must work for them.

I'm a disgruntled Tmo customer and I wouldn't even go on that hate speech rant about them. Make a point, fine. But just to be a general a-hole, no.
page: 1 · 2 · next