dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-13 08:10:46: September of last year wireless operator C Spire issued a rather surprising announcement saying they were going to start deploying fixed-line broadband networks capable of 1 Gbps in several markets within their (mostly Southern) footprint. ..

ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Interesting

I'm a little surprised to not see Madison on that list. Of course, there'd be folks there who would go ballistic over the equipment installs.

And I'll bet the folks at Mississippi State will be giving their Ole Miss counterparts a hard time about Starkville being on the list while Oxford isn't. And let me be the first to do so. Go Dawgs! I guess the Rebel Teddy Bears couldn't make it happen.

And, as expected, nothing from the Delta. Oh Greenville, please, please try to get it together. You guys need any advantage you can get, and while this would have been a small thing, it would have been something.
totalradio
join:2007-09-15
El Dorado, AR

totalradio

I found that odd myself. I see Horn Lake, but not Southaven or Olive Branch just nearby. And yes, Greenville needs all the help they can get. Being just 60 miles from Greenville (in Arkansas), I've seen Greenville slip away in recent years. Now State can really give an ass ripping on Ole Miss over this announcement.

Now that I look at it again, I see Jackson & Vicksburg wasn't on here either. Sure would like to know the reasons for that snub.

I like what Bama has done to the football team over the past few years. Arkansas was headed that way until Petrino got into hot water. But, go Bama never the less We're all SEC down here.

davoice
join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

davoice to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
Having lived in Brandon (Castlewood) myself, I understand why Madison isn't on the list. C-Spire doesn't want to have to deal w/ painting the cabinets a certain color and dealing with all the NIMBYs who will complain about various stuff.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to totalradio

to totalradio
Yeah, I was wondering why more of the DeSoto County area wasn't represented. There's certainly enough potential revenue up there. As for Jackson, I was mulling that one over. Maybe because much of the city has lost upper-income households as people move to the suburbs. Still, there are some really nice areas that should have gotten it.

As for Greenville, I was born and raised in south Washington County and went to school there. It used to be a really nice city with lots going on. Things have just gone so terribly wrong there over the last 20 years. Very very sad.
I've heard some good things about the new mayor, so maybe he can make some things happen.

Yep, Arkansas was really doing well until the Petrino scandal. And, while Alabama has been doing pretty well, they're so inconsistent. The joke around here is that you never know which Alabama team will show up at a game: the one that wins or the one that barely plays.
ISurfTooMuch

ISurfTooMuch to davoice

to davoice
As I recall, the mayor was one of the worst offenders. And, while I don't have a problem with protecting your town's aesthetics, she seemed to be way over the top. Yet, strangely, she had no problem with all the development out on County Line Road. I guess rampant consumerism is OK as long as it isn't where you have to look at it every day.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

C Spire

I find it odd that a company who laughs at net neutrality would decide to deploy 1 Gbps FTTH.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4 to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Interesting

Unfortunately the Delta is so poor it's a tough sell for a higher end service, I lived in Cleveland 2 years myself. On the flip side, the flat and open nature of the Delta makes an easier deployment. As a MSU grad I was very happy to see Starkville on there, makes sense with an engineering school there.

I hope this is a successful endeavor for cspire, be great to see fios continue to grow, particularly in MS.
tabernak4

tabernak4 to silbaco

to silbaco

Re: C Spire

Why? Look at at&t and verizon and compare their wireless policies and wireline broadband policies. Same deal. Sprint and t-mobile don't have wireline broadband services I'm aware of.

2 different games for the last mile, but they can use their existing infrastructure for both.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to tabernak4

to tabernak4

Good point. Even in the best of times, the area was never as prosperous as other places, but going back to visit is just depressing. Now that my parents have passed away and their house is sold, there's no reason to go back right now. Maybe I'll visit in a few years and see if anything has changed.
ISurfTooMuch

ISurfTooMuch to tabernak4

to tabernak4

Re: C Spire

Yep, and they're going to come into the market as an underdog, which will make it hard to block or restrict services. Given the price point and the fact it's 1 Gbps FTTH, they'd have a hard time saying they have a bandwidth shortage that necessitates restricting things like video. They can try, but that will only shrink the number of potential subs, which is definitely not what you want when you're trying to grow a new service.

I just find it interesting that a company is looking at deploying fiber instead of trying to push fixed wireless. That in itself is refreshing.
n4bkn
join:2003-12-11
Memphis, TN

n4bkn

C Spire fiber hoods in which ILEC territory?

It looks like C Spire is an overbuilder, like RCN. Are all of the cities they've chosen in AT&T Southeast (former BellSouth) areas? By passing up Olive Branch they won't be competing with Century Link as ILEC.

I was curious enough to look for myself at NANPA, and answer the question myself. Yes, all are in AT&T ILEC country. None in their own ILEC territory of C Spires owner, TELEPAK.

If I relocate, it will be to nearby Horn Lake.

chd176
join:2003-01-10
Winfield, AL
·CenturyLink

chd176 to tabernak4

to tabernak4

said by tabernak4:

I hope this is a successful endeavor for cspire, be great to see fios continue to grow, particularly in MS.

It's not Fios, it's FTTH. Fios is a trademark term used by Verizon and Frontier for their fiber services.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to n4bkn

to n4bkn

Re: C Spire fiber hoods in which ILEC territory?

It's been ages since I sold Frame Relay, Point-to-Point, ATM, etc. over in Arkansas, but it was always easier to deal with selling in SBC areas instead of ALLTEL and GTE areas because it was easier to get circuits provisioned into areas where we only had to deal with SBC to get a connection back to our facility. The areas served by the smaller companies were harder because you had to work with both them and SBC to set things up, since we were in SBC territory. Also, the speed options we could order from the smaller telcos were much more limited. I wonder if C Spire has the same issues with bringing backhauls into these areas, so they just avoid them altogether.

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor to totalradio

to totalradio

said by totalradio:

I found that odd myself. I see Horn Lake, but not Southaven or Olive Branch just nearby. And yes, Greenville needs all the help they can get. Being just 60 miles from Greenville (in Arkansas), I've seen Greenville slip away in recent years. Now State can really give an ass ripping on Ole Miss over this announcement.

Now that I look at it again, I see Jackson & Vicksburg wasn't on here either. Sure would like to know the reasons for that snub.

I like what Bama has done to the football team over the past few years. Arkansas was headed that way until Petrino got into hot water. But, go Bama never the less We're all SEC down here.

It seems kind of funny to me that the cities on The Coast have been snubbed. Maybe it is they are afraid of the infrastructure being destroyed by another hurricane? Ocean Springs, Biloxi, and Gulfport would be areas I think could work too.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Bizzaro Verizon

Verizon ignores the landline side and invests all their money in wireless. CSpire goes from wireless to wireline.
totalradio
join:2007-09-15
El Dorado, AR

totalradio to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: C Spire fiber hoods in which ILEC territory?

I worked in one the old GTE areas then CenturyLink bought nearly all of the GTE areas, except for Texarkana which Windstream owns now. I worked in SE Arkansas for a few years as an IR guy. We didn't have much frame relay back then but when Federal Mogul left, that ended the frame relay in that area. CenturyLink hasn't done ANY fiber in that area, but Bell runs some fiber along U.S. 65 & 167 all the way to Pine Bluff. So many areas in southern Arkansas could benefit with fiber. The only places that has done a large amount of fiber is Pine Bluff, Hot Springs and El Dorado. Seems that frame relay & ISDN has gone by the way of the dinosaur. Ah, the good old days. Looks like you & I have "chewed some of the same dirt".

Skoal !
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

I was up in Fort Smith, working for a company called Internet Partners of America, which got bought out by OneMain.com, which got bought out by EarthLink and shut down. And you're right. It was hard as hell getting anything into some of those areas. I seem to remember that there were some places where you had two choices for a dedicated line: 56k or a full T-1. Absolutely nothing in between. Not lots of opportunities there, unless the customer needed one of those. And the arrival of DSL didn't help us either, since SBC charged us more per month wholesale than they charged a consumer who signed up with them. Kind of hard to compete with that. When EarthLink bought us, we had this fleeting hope that their access to some of the big national backbone providers would get us some better options (they actually told us this), but then we were closed down, so that was that.
ISurfTooMuch

ISurfTooMuch to biochemistry

to biochemistry

Re: Bizzaro Verizon

IIRC, C Spire (when it was called Cellular South) was founded by the Franklin Telephone Company, a small Mississippi ILEC that I'd never even heard of until I read about the history of CS. So, in a way, their roots are in wireline, but that was a long, long time ago.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4 to chd176

to chd176

Doh, I always figured fios was a generic acronym, thanks.