spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-13 14:30:43: Numerous customers have written in lately to let us know that Time Warner Cable has hit most areas with a bevy of new price hikes for broadband and TV services, as well as higher fees. That includes the company's new $2. ..

page: 1 · 2

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

I wonder if you can opt out of their Broadcast TV fee.

Just call Time Warner and tell them you don't want their broadcast TV and will get it on your own, over the air, for FREE! They should graciously remove the fee from your bill.

Keep dreaming!

AnonMe

@comcastbusiness.net

DirecTv - New Regional Sports Fee of $1.82

My latest directv bill has a $5 increase on the programming package, plus a new below the line $1.82 regional sports fee.

I'd be happy to give up regional sports and lose the new $1.82 rate hike. For that matter, I'd be happy to give up all sports from my package, and maybe take an additional $5 off my bill!

digitlman

join:2009-12-29
Cary, NC
reply to 8744675

Re: I wonder if you can opt out of their Broadcast TV fee.

I have internet only. If this shows up on my bill next month, I will call to complain and possibly cancel.

TAZ

join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ
kudos:3

Yeah...

Click for full size
Oh wait, there's not another cable company, is there...

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4

1 recommendation

some of these price increases obviously don't increase with inflation.

Click for full size
one of the major problems with TWC pricing is settop boxes:

have two DVRs you are going to be paying over $40 just in box and DVR fees alone I am sorry but how does it take $40 a month to cover the cost of the service to the boxes and swap outs if they go bad? Also the new charges of additional outlet fees of $1.50 is crap as well because it doesn't cost anything to duplicate programming. How in the world is going from $10 DVR rentals in 2005 to $24 in 2014 even acceptable? I have two DVRs should I be paying $48 for them no!

Whole house DVR $50 a month got to be kidding.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

1 recommendation

reply to AnonMe

Re: DirecTv - New Regional Sports Fee of $1.82

said by AnonMe :

My latest directv bill has a $5 increase on the programming package, plus a new below the line $1.82 regional sports fee.

I'd be happy to give up regional sports and lose the new $1.82 rate hike. For that matter, I'd be happy to give up all sports from my package, and maybe take an additional $5 off my bill!

at least your not being charged $50 for whole house DVR per month

larc919

join:2005-01-12
Raleigh, NC
reply to 8744675

I'm already planning to drop TV and switch to an antenna before the rate increases kick in. As soon as there's a viable alternative to TWC for Internet (ie. service at least as good and costing no more than TWC's price), I'll be saying goodbye to them forever.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to digitlman
said by digitlman:

I have internet only. If this shows up on my bill next month, I will call to complain and possibly cancel.

It won't. I called and asked that same question last week.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to AnonMe

said by AnonMe :

I got pissed of at the $1.82 fee as well. I have the all-in package. And so I called up DTv because I hate sports. But I have the all-in package because there's several channels I do enjoy watching.

Basically, I have to get the bottom-of-the-barrel or 2nd up package to do away with the $1.82 sports fee. That pissed me off.

Before I could say drop it all, they transferred me to someone else. And before I knew that, they'd dropped my bill $50/mo for a year. It made my head spin it happened so fast.

It's not so much the $1.82 that bothers me so much as it is something going straight to something I don't care about and have no interest in. But because they bundle the channels in such a way, you get f'ed either way.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

3 recommendations

Fees need to be completely illegal.

After all the supermarket does not charge a "Local Cutting Fee" for the meat sliced in their butcher shop. Nope that is part of the cost. The non-taxable food stuff does not have a "Shelf Stocking Fee" or a "Dairy Refrigeration Fee" No that is part of their cost of running the business.

So why the hell does Telecom get away with it? Broadcast TV Fee is part of their expense Same with all the other fees they have in telecom. It is part of doing business and they should be up front and tell people what their services will cost out the door. If the supermarket can tell me a jug of milk will cost 4.99 and guess what that is what I pay at the register, Why cant the telecom industry do the same?
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to 8744675

My parents were paying $18 a month just for broadcast, and then another $2, so $20. TWENTY DOLLAR FOR BROADCAST, that is F***D UP. And then they implemented those stupid Cisco boxes (at $1 a month plus sucking up energy because nothing TW does is energy efficient) because they encrypt everything, so I talked to dish and for $35 a month they were up and running w/ a DVR. I also chopped the internet down and went to Earthlink (silly to still be TW) from $57 down to $35.

So all in with a little wiggle they now have internet, DVR, and connectivity to all TVs (Dish uses RF for their DVR) for the same price of just internet and broadcast.

And TW is out yet another cable subscriber.

Unfortunately where they live, TW is the only game in town. Not even DSL so I'm surprised they weren't charging them $200 for internet.

And I'm sure Comcast is going to come in and make things all better, like a warm blanket.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Fees need to be completely illegal.

said by Kearnstd:

After all the supermarket does not charge a "Local Cutting Fee" for the meat sliced in their butcher shop. Nope that is part of the cost. The non-taxable food stuff does not have a "Shelf Stocking Fee" or a "Dairy Refrigeration Fee" No that is part of their cost of running the business.

So why the hell does Telecom get away with it? Broadcast TV Fee is part of their expense Same with all the other fees they have in telecom. It is part of doing business and they should be up front and tell people what their services will cost out the door. If the supermarket can tell me a jug of milk will cost 4.99 and guess what that is what I pay at the register, Why cant the telecom industry do the same?

true and I personally would like to see a cap on how much they can charge like before states got rid of Local Franchise Agreements in favor of statewide franchises which do nothing but let the fees go up. I would love to see the cities get back franchising rights and be able to cap pricing on all services not just TV.

FureverFurry
Premium
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

Tip of the iceberg

Ah but there's good times ahead for TWC customers if (sorry, WHEN) the Comcast merger gets rubber stamped: even MORE rate hikes now made confusing and more frequent as only Comcast can do.

Look closely at the bills. Somewhere will be a line entry for "merger convenience fee" on top of the "we own NBC Universal but are going to charge you anyway" broadcast fee.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

when an annoyance becomes a law..

these annoyances first started in the Telco days of taxes & surcharges-- some of which were so vaguely defined as to be meaningless.. the most irksome of which are called Cost or Regulatory recovery fees. These kinds of fees are designed to raise the money they collect from you without making it seem like they are ripping you off and grabbing at your wallet when they really are doing that very thing.

some day, when regulators get serious about losing their jobs and do something this will be outlawed to some degree.

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

I also chopped the internet down and went to Earthlink (silly to still be TW) from $57 down to $35.

Earthlink - The scientology ISP.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to motorola870

Re: some of these price increases obviously don't increase with inflation.

said by motorola870:

Whole house DVR $50 a month got to be kidding

It does say DVR and service, so one part is rent on the box the other is their in house dvr service and profit.
unfortunately they don't say how much each is.
at least with TIVO you know you are buying an over price box for $xxx.xx and monthly service at $12-15 or whatever it is now

hamburglar_

join:2002-04-29
united state
reply to motorola870

But capping the provider would force them to negotiate prices and keep costs down on their end to keep things profitable. We can't have that now.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to 8744675

Yeah, I have to wonder the same for Comcast's new broadcast fee. Setting that up, even with TiVos is so much of a PITA that it's just not worth it though.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to tshirt

Re: some of these price increases obviously don't increase with inflation.

the problem is the costs keep going up and up and not leveling out every year or so they jack the price up $2 somehow either between box increases or DVR service increases. The DVRs have gone from $16 to $18 to $20 to $22 to now close to $25 a month in a matter of 6 years or so. I don't see how the costs add up honestly. The boxes are getting cheaper to produce and purchase the only thing that could be causing them go up is either profit or they are squeezing in some of the programming costs into the STB rental price as they could probably stash in extra costs for channels in the starter tier to the boxes as it is required to be purchased for all other tiers or they are charging for the licensed amount Motorola, Cisco, Samsung are charging TWC for repairs to the DVRs that return broken or have problems?

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to hamburglar_

said by hamburglar_:

But capping the provider would force them to negotiate prices and keep costs down on their end to keep things profitable. We can't have that now.

but now that would actually lead to a sustainable market where they would likely have more customers but the content producers would be reigned in lol!

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to tmc8080

Re: when an annoyance becomes a law..

Not quite.

The government loves below-the-line charges, whether you call them fees, taxes, funds or surcharges.

They aren't about to outlaw them, and cause the corporations use their lobbying muscle to eliminate the cost, once it is invisible to the subscriber.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

these annoyances first started in the Telco days of taxes & surcharges-- some of which were so vaguely defined as to be meaningless.. the most irksome of which are called Cost or Regulatory recovery fees. These kinds of fees are designed to raise the money they collect from you without making it seem like they are ripping you off and grabbing at your wallet when they really are doing that very thing.

some day, when regulators get serious about losing their jobs and do something this will be outlawed to some degree.

Regulatory recovery surcharges are tacked on because the states say that the companies are allowed to charge the customers the cost of what the said state is charging the cable company to operate as business. Honestly the states shouldn't be charging anything to the telco's or ISP's to operate in their state because all it does is come out of the consumers pocket.

cybah

join:2000-03-09
Chelsea, MA
reply to motorola870

Absolutely Not. It does not happen this way.

I live in MA where we still have local franchise agreements. Guess what? Outside of a few towns that have RCN or the cherry picked FiOS areas, we still have little or no choice (I don't in my town)

The rates just keep going up and up, and when the the towns try to uphold their LFA and not let rates rise.. yeah SOMETIMES it does work but 99% of the time the cable co (in my area it's Crapcast.. erm Comcast) the cable company balks and says "operating costs". And to be honest, who else will the town sign on? No one, because there is no one.

Verizon will not expand FiOS
RCN is hanging on by a thread and has no desire to expand
Any cable provider that doesn't already have a major presence in the area (i.e. TWC, Brighthouse, CableVision, etc), has no interest in taking one-off towns in an area without a presence. (think hardware/servers/equipment)

And yeah we have a few towns doing muni cable/fiber (Wakefeild and Braintree come to mind) but its far and few between, and its costly. Most towns just don't want the hassle.

So what happens?

The town bends over and takes Comcast's rate hike.

The ONLY good thing that happens with LFA's is that you don't see a rate increase as often as most because since its a contractual agreement, it modifies their contract (rates are built into the contract) a new contract must be signed.. and that just takes time since it has to be approved by a board.

of course this is how it works in my town, it might vary from town to town.

smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
reply to Kearnstd
So you'd rather they hide the fee in the total cost and still charge for it? So if it's $50 for service and $2 for local channels, you'd rather it just be $52?

What is the difference? Nothing.

smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
reply to motorola870

Re: when an annoyance becomes a law..

Uh, duh. That's precisely why the states charge the telcos and ISPs to operate and then allow them to recover the charges. So that the state can tax your more and pretend they didn't raise taxes on you.

Or how a state can have no income tax, yet still make tax money.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to AnonMe

said by AnonMe :

I cancelled my DirecTV and got:

Netflix: $8 a month.
Amazon Prime: $99 a year, so basically around $8 a month.
Hulu Plus: $8 a month.
OverPlay SmartDNS: $5 a month (access BBC iPlayer at full HD speed without VPN, also works with Canadian CBC, several Australian channels, and a whole range of online British and European channels)

DirecTV: $110 a month for 3 TV's and whole home DVR and all that jazz.

Using a Mediacenter PC on 1 TV and a Apple TV on the other (and OTA TV on the last one we never use anyways), I pay less then $30 a month, and I get more choice, more TV, more everything then I got with DirecTV, for $80 a month less.

I can still use the Mediacenter PC to record television from the 30+ OTA channels I can get here with an antenna, and that includes all the major networks. For free.

$80 a month, or $960 a year SAVED. Why bother with 200 channels of shit, when you only really watch less then 10 channels? At least, that is it in my case....
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to elefante72

$20 for broadcast basic? ill take it! .. mediacom charges $27 a month for basic, + $2.57 "local broadcast surcharge" + $1.99 per HD box (they went all encrypted a few months back) so a total of $33.55 for about 20 channels of mostly religious b.s., or shopping channels.

even better? including the 3Mbps down 256k up "intro" internet and modem rental, it takes it to $68.84 ($70.83 after the one "free" year is up on one of the boxes) as soon as i can, im switching to SAT, sadly i can get "no" other broadband service here. and of course, mediacom charges a $15 "internet only" fee. (some folks in the mediacom forum swear they quit doing this, but its still on the price list. so until i see an official announcement from mediacom, i consider it to still be valid)

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

Fees need to be completely illegal.

Man,
Do I hear that!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to AnonMe

I'd gladly do the same with DirecTV, call them and say take that sports fee and shove it; I don't watch sports.

Tuning to a regional sports network or ESPN and seeing the error messasge "channel not purchased" would be a good thing.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Bye Bye Comcast

I bought the Blast plus bundle (on top of my DirecTV subscription) to get a few channels that DirecTV doesn't offer but a couple of days ago I cut the cord (turned in the equipment) and went DirecTV only. They were sneaking in a broadcast tv fee and the rates went up, AGAIN.

Unfortunately Comcast is the only viable choice for internet, the other option is DSL.