spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-13 19:13:10: T-Mobile today performed a one-two marketing bunch by announcing a new network upgrade program while simultaneously suing Verizon for the company's network coverage maps. ..

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR

Canada too?

T-Mobile shows Canada on their maps too, strange.

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

Re: Canada too?

And Mexico! Must be a map that includes roaming.
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Funny how the state of NY is totally red and I can't get any Tmo at my house, and 20 miles away I get Edge

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR

Ask the T-Mobile CEO and the fanboys, they'll tell you that you're wrong!!!

I mean #unwrong #uncarrier #notmature

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit
The map says Northern Iowa and Eastern Iowa are also completely covered despite TMobile not having any service in the state outside the Central Iowa Des Moines market. Their affiliate iWireless has blazing gprs though.
chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL

iWireless has HSPA+ coverage in these areas. I have not heard of any plans for LTE coverage (yet). Even though its technically 4G, propagation and speeds are pretty awful, nonetheless.
silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

iWireless' own coverage map doesn't say they do.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

We were in Iowa City this past fall. My T-Mobile phone had 4G. It didn't seem fast though. And it did not say that it was roaming.

Edit - it was "4G", not LTE.
itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
quote:
Funny how the state of NY is totally red and I can't get any Tmo at my house, and 20 miles away I get Edge
You must be looking at a different map than me....

Lots of non red areas in NY State. The darker red is roaming on T-mobile.
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Click for full size
And then there's this.

Mostly all 4G coverage, with some gaps filled in with 3G. T-Mobile is mostly EDGE outside of the cities, not something reflected on the map you linked.
itguy05

Carlisle, PA

quote:
Mostly all 4G coverage, with some gaps filled in with 3G. T-Mobile is mostly EDGE outside of the cities, not something reflected on the map you linked.
Yeah - T-mo has a lot of gaps to fill in. Could never argue otherwise. And they also have a lot of upgrading to do because of many, many years of neglect of the network.

In my neck of the woods, we (Carlisle, PA) are a major shipping hub for the Northeast and there's a fair amount of government stuff around here too. Yet we are EDGE. Go 5 miles up the road and it's 3G/LTE. Hopefully they will build that out down here.

I've been testing out T-Mo (using prepaid and a $49 smartphone) around here and the coverage is pretty good. Sometimes there is low signal strength but you can still make a call. I've live in an area that shows no service (yet is surrounded by service) and we get 3-5 bars in the house. Not as solid as Verizon or AT&T but if it will work for us, the savings ($600/yr) would be well worth it! Still have till June to decide so I'll be watching very closely.
yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

What a waste.

T-Mobile should really spend their money accelerating their network improvements instead of wasting it on this type of silly litigation. Also T-Mobile's maps are not entirely accurate themselves either. A lot of rural areas are marked as excellent when in reality there's absolutely no coverage at all.
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

Re: What a waste.

said by yyzlhr:

T-Mobile should really spend their money accelerating their network improvements instead of wasting it on this type of silly litigation.

A great "un-carrier" move, huh?
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
Corporations generally have "staff" lawyers. It costs TMO almost nothing to file a lawsuit.
yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

There's an opportunity cost. Their in house resources could be put to something more useful.
Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

they either sue someone or something, or are defending the company from the same tactics.

it's all "useful" in the end.

JakCrow

join:2001-12-06
Palo Alto, CA
Right. Get those lawyers out in the field to install new towers. Damn slackers.
JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
Yes and no.

They have staff lawyers but guess what:

1) They may not have lawyers with trial expertise, just general contract law, etc...
2) They staff for work load. These lawsuits likely take a lot of time that they weren't expending hours on say a year ago.

So it is highly likely they supplement for both the above and other reasons, with outside counsel.

I work for a MUCH larger company than T-Mobile, and our legal team within my business segment uses outside counsel all the time. (For patent filings, lawsuits, etc...)
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Do these things ever go to trial? Generally it's a conversation starter between the corporations or it makes press headlines (like what this thread is discussing.) If it gets serious, they'll get outside counsel.

JakCrow

join:2001-12-06
Palo Alto, CA
Since when has a large company been unable to do both?

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Its Happening

This plan is already in progress, I am seeing less and less EDGE, and more HSDPA on my ex-AT&T iPhone 4 and Motorola Atrix.

If T-Mobile is really serious about replacing every single EDGE tower with more modern equipment, this really takes care of a lot of their issues. No more dial-up speed towers, and father signal range.

I can see how some people will immediately comment and state how terrible T-Mobile is. Well, if it doesn't work for you, in your specific locality,your free to continue paying AT&T or VZ. Hey, the lower prices T-Mobile introduced may actually help you out and lower your T or VZ bill!

Hey, once they start turning a profit, perhaps they will begin network expansion into new territories.

As for T-Mobile being "late to the game" this is true, but D-Telekom was putting TMUS on its deathbed for a quick sale that never happened, holding back progress by a good 7 years. The next 7 years are looking good.

Around here, rural coverage is passable. EDGE along major highways and roads. Sometimes random LTE/HSDPA on towers where the EDGE equipment died.
WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

map

I noticed out of the 4 maps in the commercial that is only flashed up for a few seconds the other 3 companies would not have much coverage if you combined all there maps. Even the AT&T map does not look much better then T-Mobile. Are they still using the maps from 2 years ago.

I work in an area of small towns and farms covering 3 large counties and in the last year in many places where I one or no bars on Edge I now have 3 bars on 4G or LTE. AT&T may still be in 2nd place on coverage but it is getting to the point it does not make much difference.
itguy05

Carlisle, PA

BS

Been a fan of T-Mobile and this suit is BS. Verizon said 4G LTE and the maps are accurate. Tmo got called out and it's a BS lawsuit.

Mr Guy

@charter.com

96 percent my ass

230 out of 315 million is not 96%. Hell you've got to drive 40 miles to hit a T-Mobile tower in my area and It' not like I live in Idaho or something.

RichInCT

@comcast.net

Coverage Maps are Jokes

All the carriers show coverage at my house and I can't make a call with ANY of them. If it weren't for my MicoCell I'd be SOL.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

Re: Coverage Maps are Jokes

I bet your house has either chicken wire stucco exterior walls and/or metal framed walls.

Both of those common construction techniques block both WiFi, and cell signals. Your best bet, find a place in the house near a window where you get reception. Then buy a Blue tooth link to cell wireless phone(Panasonic, etc), set it up near the same location. Set your chargers up in same location..

Note: I use Xlink gateway products for a wired link to cell connection..

When one of your cell phones rings.. it rings the cordless phones. No need to carry your cell phone around the house and deal with poor signal levels. With these setups you can add talking caller id(very useful).

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
you live in a Faraday cage?

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

step in the right direction

If this is true this is a step in the right direction. Hopefully They will deploy LTE here in Arkansas and fix there 1% coverage.

Mr Guy

@charter.com

Re: step in the right direction

If don't already have access to T-Mobile don't expect it. T-Mobile has no plans to actually expand coverage. And this is why they will always be a distant 3rd at best. You can't ignore 100 million people can call yourself a "nationwide" carrier.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

The coverage here is EDGE.

Mr Guy

@charter.com

Well where I live which is east of you by couple hundreds miles or so we don't even get that. There a big hole the size of NJ with absolutely ZERO coverage.

TestBoy
Premium
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·tw telecom

AT&T tried and lost too...

Verizon says LTE.... and yeah.. it looks right to me.

Sorry but I have to call BS on the T-Mobile attack...
AT&T did try this.... they lost.
T-Mobile wants their HSPA to count as LTE....not going to work.

I think T-Mobile announcing that they are FINALLY IN 2014 going to get rid of EDGE.... great!

But the lawsuit?
Meh.....

•••••

cybah

join:2000-03-09
Chelsea, MA

annnnd

as I sit here in my house, at my computer.. 3 feet from a two very large windows, I have 2 bars and internet is slow as crap, and to think I'm minutes to downtown Boston. This is also the same explanation I use when I call Tmo customer service to complain about said lousy service.

T-Mo, we don't want more coverage, we just want coverage that WORKS.

••••••••
xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

So, when will we get covered?

I love T-Mobile, had them for almost four years with a gap between sign ups. I have excellent coverage at work, friends, up and down I-66, but for some reason, not in my neighborhood. We sort of get coverage on the third floor, sometimes.
Sad thing is that I'm less then a mile from a major DC area mall with a T-Mobile store in it. That store is the only place in the mall with coverage.
I keep thinking I should switch back to AT&T and wait it out, but we spend about $60 a month less with T-Mobile then we would with At&T, and I have voip at home.
--
I voted for Snoopy!
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Re: So, when will we get covered?

Why not just use WiFi calling at home? or just get a cell-fi from T-Mobile?

Where I live in Phoenix, T-Mobile is the only thing that actually works in here, as VZ is one bar of EvDO, AT&T has to go outside, and Sprint is roaming on that one bar of VZW signal at 1x.

It's all about location, location, location. I've had T-Mobile since 2006 in several different cities and i've personally never had any issues with them, even driving across country my phone works reasonably well, especially for what i pay on my old grandfathered GetMore plan.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Do ya think?

"As such, you could probably find any one of the four major carriers making a major bluff on any given day of the week, T-Mobile included"

Sheesh! Do you think?!

A minimum of 50% of what they all advertise is probably a major bluff!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

A year ago...

A year ago T-Mo would have been bouncing between EDGE and GPRS at my house, which is why I was on a Verizon MVNO for so long. Even with a T-Mo MVNO I tried until recently I would generally be bouncing between EDGE and UMTS in my house. Last month I switched to T-Mo proper, and much to my surprise I had a solid if not unremarkable LTE signal. I was rather stunned.

A year ago I would have said Verizon's ads regarding the coverage maps were probably spot on. Today, I can most certainly assure you that they are using dated materials in their ads, and the disclaimer fine print at the bottom of them say as much.
sava700

join:2005-03-08
united state

lack of coverage

Just like Verizon - why in the world do you even advertise coverage when you don't even cover a single whole state?!? Take for example East coast, each and every single one of the carriers don't cover the Blue Ridge Mountain ranges very good at all and I blame much of that on the Federal Government that won't allow towers on top of gov owned mountains. I drove the Blue Ridge parkway a while back from South Carolina up past Virginia and the coverage was horrible if you were up there yet if you went down either side you had 4G coverage on both carriers. If you sink to the middle of any of the mountain ranges in any of these states including Tenn, West VA or where ever you lose full coverage to the point you can't even send a text message let alone visit a website.