dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-14 09:44:07: Last month we noted that Google Fiber had announced they were working with thirty-four new cities in nine regions on making it easier for those locations to see fiber broadband deployed. ..

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

At work

At least they're doing something. It's more then what is usually seen from those press release talking heads that talk, but end up doing very little to nothing to improve service.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz

Re: At work

San Antonio is practically the same as Austin market. It's only 80 miles away, less from burb to burb. So it's not quite a new market even though technically is.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

Isn't this U-verse's front yard? Sounds like a jab at AT&T.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

San Antonio isn't nearly as hi-tech as Austin, and it doesn't have a college nearly as big as UT-Austin.

But it does have a city-owned electric utility and that is a big factor in google's decision about where to spend its fiber dollars.

sf 34 a sd
@sbcglobal.net

sf 34 a sd

Anon

but this helps the evil ones!

This also applies to the incumbents, so could help AT&T and Time Warner with infrastructure.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

Next at 6 -

All new, tonight-

Local neighbors are outraged about a contractor placing cabinets in their yards. We'll find out who's responsible and why Google didn't design more efficient so called fiber huts before working with the city government.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Re: Next at 6 -

This is pretty interesting.

"The city and Google have yet to identify specific locations for the 40 fiber huts, but they're expected to be installed at libraries, fire and police stations and other city properties across San Antonio."
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Google Fiber

If Google is hoping someone else will come into these cities and deploy fiber, they sure have an odd way of going about it. They have kept most of the statistics they have gathered hidden away. Their plan to release in-depth details of how to speed up fiber deployments and licensing the technology they are using hasn't happened.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Re: Google Fiber

their in-depth details were outlined in the last document they published- its called the Cities take on ALL of the cost and Google doesn't spend anything up front until its time for the build- which will take 5 years to even actually get anywhere- and 6 years before build is started.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

I'm cool with that as a tax payer. Having seen how well its doing for Kansas City, I would even be willing to pay a little extra.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

How well is it doing, exactly?

DataRiker
Premium Member

2 edits

DataRiker

Premium Member

People love it. Its brought a whole new dynamic to the city. Still the talk of the town so to speak.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Can you list them all? lol

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

Can you list them all? lol

I don't follow?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Where are all the calls to bury these in huge vaults?

From all the people that usually complain about waist high fiber splice boxes and lawn fridges and remote huts think of these as almost 2 40' shipping containers they want to place in 40 locations with (apparently) NO public input.

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Re: Where are all the calls to bury these in huge vaults?

They aren't putting them in the middle of the side walk outside the local senior center, for example.

Also, there's no "public input" on where I build my office complex, or warehouse, or house, or mini-storage center. (just city permits, of course)

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by cramer:

They aren't putting them in the middle of the side walk outside the local senior center, for example.

Also, there's no "public input" on where I build my office complex, or warehouse, or house, or mini-storage center. (just city permits, of course)

Or (if you read the Goggle fiber desired (minimum) standards)
on city property next to a fire house or other "excess" city land.
Any use of pubil lands should go through an open IMPACT type process and private land as part of the permit process usually goes through a similar "change of use" particularly citywide big projects. if it impacts numerous citizens in any way it SHOULD allow informed consent by the public.
In this case besides property changes, Google is asking the public to shoulder some (potentially a lot) of the financial burden as well, which in itself should demand public scrutiny.
cooperaaaron
join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

cooperaaaron

Not seeing how putting a fiber hut on some excess land that the city owns and doesn't use, would be impacting citizens... For example, there is excess land sitting behind some of the municipal facilities in my area. No nature trails, no homes, nothing. Why can't a fiber hut be placed there, out of the way ?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

But suppose the lot next to a fire station/school is so that fire station can be expanded cheaply instead of having to condemn some building or move to a different spot. or to land helicopters or be open space for tents/ hospitals in a major disaster.
Empty doesn't mean it serves no purpose.
If is really unneeded and unplanned for then it should be sold to the highest bidder, not reserved for just for Google.
Remember, once located, moving disconnecting all that fiber becomes a big problem so this isn't a temporary use.

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

Established city governments are contracting for the most part in the 3 that I call home. If Kansas City is any example their system works pretty darn well.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

So if you like the terms, it's ok for the cities to agree to things with a private company without full public notice (sometime referred to as in secret/backroom deals)

but when you don't like franchise agreements or protectionist legislation in the interest of a different private company, it's wrong/Evil?

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

Nothing about their deal was secret. The KCK mayor was very public about the terms.

Not really sure I see a comparison here.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Pretty sure if you look back You'll see the terms were not disclosed until after the deal was sign, which caused an unroar among the existing /incumbents due to all the special google only costs paid by the city.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE?

It's google so it's cool... if AT&T did it like this, this site would want them tarred, feathered, shot, drawn and quartered!

And still buried in an unknown location where no one knows.

DataRiker
Premium Member

1 recommendation

DataRiker

Premium Member

I highly doubt ATT would be getting outrage for offering free internet for 7 years and uncapped 1 gig access for 70 dollars.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

2 edits

David

Premium Member

said by DataRiker:

I highly doubt ATT would be getting outrage for offering free internet for 7 years and uncapped 1 gig access for 70 dollars.

yea... pesky thing... I guess when your real business is ad revenue and selling your data you can throw money around like that.

I guess when you look at it from this point of view..

yep... nothing wrong with their model at all.

DataRiker
Premium Member

4 edits

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by David:

yep... nothing wrong with their model at all.

Firstly, all of google's data in non-identifiable to an actual person. ( Which I have no problem with )

Secondly, ATT is the only company that I know of that created an actual illegal office for spying with data that is identifiable to an actual person. ( In fact, completely unfiltered - I definitely have a problem with this )

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

So illegal in fact they had to be grated retroactive immunity in an unprecedented way in order avoid legal oblivion.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

yea you are right, after all wouldn't want any backlash for not encrypting your data in the first place. I can only imagine what took them this long? I guess the hard question I would ask is if they "knew about this as early as 2006" why did it take till 2013 (well almost the end of it) to avoid the backlash now?

»www.washingtonpost.com/b ··· ory.html

Oh right, this is google, they should get extra credit for doing something they should have been doing in the first place.

DataRiker
Premium Member

4 edits

DataRiker

Premium Member

As for the article above, are you suggesting that ATT was encrypting transit before Google? I absolutely don't buy that, unless you have a credible source. Most companies do not encrypt transit.

Also,I really feel you have an obligation to elaborate on your comment before, as I don't see how any truthful person can object to non-identifiable information tracking, yet not be outraged by ATT's illegal spy center. Explain??

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by DataRiker:

That's what I thought. You can't respond to my post.

Dunno what that has to do with it but ok.
said by DataRiker:

Also,I really feel you have an obligation to elaborate on your comment before, as I don't see how any truthful person can object to non-identifiable information tracking, yet not be outraged by this. Explain??

I guess maybe a little less outrage if I look at it from this point of view. I take this from a post at the link I got above.

This does nothing, did anyone actually read the leaked documents?

It goes a little something like this:

NSA: Hi, we need all your user data, as well as a backdoor into your database. Failure to comply will result in jailtime for you or your employees.

YAHOO/GOOGLE/MS: Ok... Here you go. Please don't hurt me.

NSA: Thank you for your cooperation.

Encrypt all you want, its just a facade.

I guess I have a hard time giving them credit for something that means little to nothing. Sure I can be mad, but mad at who? The government seems to be responsible for the bulk of it. I guess I could, you know, blame the correct target not the incorrect one.

That part doesn't give google any more of a free pass than ISP's in general. Both sides are to blame, neither side is innocent, and trying to put on a sheep outfit and pretend you are not a wolf.. well sorry... not buying it for $1.

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
Just to sum up the key points here:

Google does not give out identifiable information

Google encrypts transit

ATT does not encrypt transit ( nor do a lot of companies to be fair )

ATT is the only company in US history to illegally and knowingly set up an unfiltered spy room with unfettered access given to the NSA.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David

Premium Member

said by DataRiker:

Google does not give out identifiable information

Google encrypts transit

True, they just let a turkish hacker have it. AT this point in juncture I am not sure who is more dangerous.

»money.cnn.com/2014/03/17 ··· le-play/

yea... google is miles above.... only to be shot down and brought back to planet earth.. LMAO!!

If it makes you feel any better thanks for the laugh... I needed that!

DataRiker
Premium Member

3 edits

DataRiker

Premium Member

As long as we understand that ATT is willing to illegally build an entire spy operation. Never forget.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

YAY!

Im just glad to see that theres progress going on. Hope Google selects us at the end.