spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-15 12:27:23: Express yourself!. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

Got my permit yesterday..

.. My brother gave me his old cavalier, so we toke it out for a little spin into town this morning near the city park.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

I have.....

An interview next week and I hope to break my 3 year drought without a full time job. I am so looking forward to it.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to diablo1892

Re: Got my permit yesterday..

said by diablo1892:

Good for you! I wish you nothing but awesome miles!!! You have a cool brother also.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV

btw.. its a standard haha

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
reply to diablo1892

What year? my son has a '99 he loves

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
reply to YukonHawk

Re: I have.....

What's the job?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

The real bitcoin miners...

interesting news story, sorry about the long commercial first, worth the wait I think.
»www.komonews.com/home/video/Bitc···731.html

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
reply to tshirt

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to JackBauer

Client Development Manager. The role is to maintain a client base of about 50 accounts and grow the existing base. There's also a performance bonus tied to closing any new business via inside sales. It's a little bit of everything which is what I like to do. It's a similar job I had just prior to a layoff.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

same car (99' 2000, 2001 base and LS)

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
reply to diablo1892

Ahhhhh Rowing your own gears is a lot of fun.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to YukonHawk

Good luck and good skill!

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY

Thanks!

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast

Oil Vs Gas....

I received a letter from NYSEG yesterday saying that many people in the neighbor are clamoring to extend the gas main off the main road. The larger the pool of people the less the costs.

Has anyone converted from oil to gas recently? Are you happy that you did and have your heating costs come down?

Right now we spend on average about 3 grand on oil to heat a 3000 square foot house. We have base board heat and our hot water is on demand. I would love to convert to a gas boiler. NYSEG is offering a bunch of rebates on 85% to 90% efficiency units. I know oil gives you more heat per BTU than natural gas so I am also wondering if it will still cost less than oil. Oh the decisions!

mist668

join:2011-02-15
Middleburg, PA
Reviews:
·ProLog

I was paying about 3.79 a gallon for oil. I converted to a propane forced air furnace from an oil one and my costs were about 1/3 to 1/2 less. Last fill up for propane was 2.59 gallon when it spiked a month ago. I know your talking about natural gas which my assumption is its even cheaper then propane yet, I would def make the switch.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to diablo1892

I've got my permit back when I was living in Iowa in I think the year 2000. I didn't get my license until 2003 when I was living in Massachusetts.

It sure beats riding the bus around town.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
reply to mist668

Re: Oil Vs Gas....

Wow!! Good for you. Last fill up on oil we were hit for 3.99 p/g! That was last week. At this point it's a no brainer. With the supply coming out of the Midwest and new facilities coming on line the price should remain low for N.G.

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
reply to YukonHawk

So what is your "game plan" for the interview?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to YukonHawk

The two problems for natural gas are lack of pipeline capacity and (the biggie) lack of NE storage capacity compared to all the people/industries switching over.
That the main reason the price spiked this year.
On a normal temp year or after they build enough storage gas should be cheap year round.

said by YukonHawk:

I know oil gives you more heat per BTU than natural gas so I am also wondering if it will still cost less than oil.

BTW BTU is the amount of heat released, so oil doesn't give more heat per btu, but oil burns hotter so sometimes a conversion burner (a cheaper way to reuse you current furnace, that can switch back to oil if the price balance changes back in a few years ) may not be able to heat the water as hot/keep up with the heat loss, in which case you may need an all new furnace/burner. Some new gas units are incredible efficient but the payback MAY be longer on the higher priced furnace. have the contractor run estimates for each effiency at different average price points to see the best deal for you.

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state

Anyone want to help kit kats ???

No, I'm not talking about the Android update

Legitimate (and fun) fundraiser online for 501c3 charity. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link *looks hopeful*.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to YukonHawk

Was well worth it for me ! Older 2400 sq home.. usually oil ran me 1000 a fill @ 3.99...This was every month. Plus $300 for electric every month. Now im at 700 a month for both Gas and Electric. And it was a cold winter here.

Once I get some new siding and insulation in place I expect it to go about 1/2 of that.. Plus I have gaping energy holes I am planning on filling once tax returns come back.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
reply to Furrever Fur

Re: Anyone want to help kit kats ???

What is it doing ? Im down to help out... As I do lots of local work... but depends on the needs.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

It sure beats riding the bus around town.

and/or riding a bicycle or using your legs(walking/running)
My other brother once tried walking from friendly to sistersville and it ate up a good 5 hours atleast. It can also be very dangerous walking on the side of a highway or interstate. We all have cars now so fuck the long walks.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

I was riding the bus recently (car was broke) and a guy asked if he could borrow my phone (iPhone), and I politely declined. I knew he was going to steal my phone.

There are some crazy characters on public transit. A lot of crime happens on public transit that larger systems have their own transit police departments such as Boston and New York. I wish our system in Western Mass (Pioneer Valley Transit Authority) had its own police department as there have been some situations on there that have made me feel unsafe. I was on the bus once and a guy approached a driver in a threatening way, I swear to god that driver was about to get assaulted if he didn't give the guy a free transfer (transfers cost 25 cents for full fare, 10 cents handicapped and elderly) even though it was an outbound bus and there were no buses to transfer to and he was probably going to use it for the return trip, heaven help the driver who had to refuse the transfer, the guy looked absolutely evil.

My car is fixed but the inspection sticker runs out in May
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Furrever Fur
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to BosstonesOwn

Raising funds for Great Lakes Bengal Rescue, a no-kill, 501c3 charity that fosters and then rehomes Bengal cats. Very strict on screening to ensure folks know Bengals aren't your "average" housecat. They recently took in 2 very ill Bengals on death row at shelters (kaching on vet bills), plus taken in a pregnant Bengal wandering the streets (kittens most likely NOT purebred).

Just a couple of "fun" events on YouCaring: a No Bake "bake sale" (spend/donate what you'd spend on goodies) and a birthday No Party party (donate what you'd spend for new party clothes, a gift -- stuff like that).

So am I allowed to post links?
PeeEss: I know lots of homeless pets need help, but as a Bengal pet parent, this is near/dear to me.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to YukonHawk

I'd take the gas, cheaper than oil. And the price is regulated by the state DPU and is more stable.

Oil prices are more volatile and can suddenly spike. I am just more biased towards gas, we heated with gas when we lived in the Midwest and we had no issues. It's also more convenient as you don't have to worry about deliveries or running out.

I personally think oil heat is outdated and should be phased out. It has been all but abandoned in the Midwest by the HVAC trades in favor of NG and propane.

I would convert a house that was heated with oil to either NG or propane.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to Furrever Fur

sure you can post a link - this is a open thread, nothing is off topic
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Furrever Fur
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

2 edits

Here are the two fundraiser links, and a link to the organization as an FYI.

No bake "bake sale": »www.youcaring.com/nonprofits/-no···e/130613

My No party/birthday party: »www.youcaring.com/nonprofits/no-···e/148538

Great Lakes Bengal Rescue: »greatlakesbengalrescue.com/

All funds go directly to GLBR. THANKS.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tshirt

Thanks for the info Tshirt. Years ago when I lived in an apartment complex they had the same set up but on a much larger scale. They were able to go back and forth based on pricing for each heating medium and that kept our common charges pretty even during the heating season.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to JackBauer

said by JackBauer:

So what is your "game plan" for the interview?

I am going in with my "A" game. I study up on the company and ask the appropriate questions. I always give a firm hand shake and make good eye contact. Most important is to listen intently.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next