dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-15 12:27:23: Express yourself!. ..

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

Got my permit yesterday..

.. My brother gave me his old cavalier, so we toke it out for a little spin into town this morning near the city park.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Re: Got my permit yesterday..

said by diablo18926:

Good for you! I wish you nothing but awesome miles!!! You have a cool brother also.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

btw.. its a standard haha

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Ahhhhh Rowing your own gears is a lot of fun.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
What year? my son has a '99 he loves

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

same car (99' 2000, 2001 base and LS)

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
I've got my permit back when I was living in Iowa in I think the year 2000. I didn't get my license until 2003 when I was living in Massachusetts.

It sure beats riding the bus around town.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by IowaCowboy:

It sure beats riding the bus around town.

and/or riding a bicycle or using your legs(walking/running)
My other brother once tried walking from friendly to sistersville and it ate up a good 5 hours atleast. It can also be very dangerous walking on the side of a highway or interstate. We all have cars now so fuck the long walks.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I was riding the bus recently (car was broke) and a guy asked if he could borrow my phone (iPhone), and I politely declined. I knew he was going to steal my phone.

There are some crazy characters on public transit. A lot of crime happens on public transit that larger systems have their own transit police departments such as Boston and New York. I wish our system in Western Mass (Pioneer Valley Transit Authority) had its own police department as there have been some situations on there that have made me feel unsafe. I was on the bus once and a guy approached a driver in a threatening way, I swear to god that driver was about to get assaulted if he didn't give the guy a free transfer (transfers cost 25 cents for full fare, 10 cents handicapped and elderly) even though it was an outbound bus and there were no buses to transfer to and he was probably going to use it for the return trip, heaven help the driver who had to refuse the transfer, the guy looked absolutely evil.

My car is fixed but the inspection sticker runs out in May
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by IowaCowboy:

I was riding the bus recently (car was broke) and a guy asked if he could borrow my phone (iPhone), and I politely declined. I knew he was going to steal my phone.

There are some crazy characters on public transit. A lot of crime happens on public transit that larger systems have their own transit police departments such as Boston and New York. I wish our system in Western Mass (Pioneer Valley Transit Authority) had its own police department as there have been some situations on there that have made me feel unsafe.
My car is fixed but the inspection sticker runs out in May

We have our own transit police.
They are worthless.

They do next to nothing to make transit safe, but they do, occasionally, spend plenty of man-hours harassing the public for having defective fare-cards or not understanding the convoluted rules regarding said fares.

A dedicated department solves nothing, if they're not trained properly, and if the city and county prosecutors and the state aren't prepared to back them up. In California, the public is under siege, as the governor continues to free over 1,000 murderers, in addition to tens of thousands of felons to rampage our streets.

People are wise to use their judgement and avoid public transit.

Driving a car may "cost" more, given massive transit subsidy, but what is your time and personal safety worth?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I've seen fare evaders more than once on the PVTA (such as a parent passing a child over five off as being under five so they can ride free). That should be the job of the driver to refuse them service. The transit police should patrol the dangerous bus terminal in downtown Springfield or deal with the passenger robberies (smartphone thefts, purse snatchers, pickpockets, etc) or driver assaults that occur on the PVTA. I'm sure the UMASS transit portion of the PVTA deals with a lot of public intoxication considering the college it serves.

Having a car is great. Just keeping it working is a challenge, especially with our big government here that requires inspections to keep a car. Inspections do nothing to make roads safer but they create red tape to drivers of lower incomes or people who live paycheck to paycheck and need the car to get to work. Not all of us can afford emissions related repairs. The green environmentalists can take their movement elsewhere. I just want to drive my car.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by IowaCowboy:

make roads safer

Every inch of our roads have a hole. State road workers for our county and other nearby counties are worthless. good bit of the holes can pop your tires very easily, it can even mess up my car for how low it sits to the ground.

I'm disappointed with our governor. After what he did the end of last year, bought somewhere near 500 miles of fibre($12 million). We couldn't afford it but we did need it. West Virginia isn't the richest state or near to the richest. Here is the link »Frontier Exec Storms Out of Critical West Virginia Meeting [49] comments

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What I'm talking about is car inspections, I lived in Iowa and we had a lower per capita accident rate than Massachusetts despite the lack of car inspections in Iowa.

The problem with inspections is a car can pass inspection one day and be unsafe the next. And you can't catch every safety defect in a ten minute inspection. To catch every safety defect you basically have to tear the car apart (which you're talking several hours of labor at least).

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

That's why some inspectors will just give it a quick check and mark it as good.

You are right that the vehicle could be safe and then be unsafe the next but it can be unsafe even before the inspection and the inspector won't even notice it.

There's this computer gadget thing my uncle got about 5 years back. you plug it in under the steering wheel somewhere and it'll show you a bunch of codes. Codes that have a meaning of what all is wrong with the vehicle. It can also be used to reset the vehicle to where the codes are clear but whos gonna sit there running it until serious codes come back after the owner had recently cleared them? The inspector could have over 100 car inspections come in just one day, so he's not gonna have that time.

EDIT: plus chances are, the code(s) may never even come back. We've had some codes where they were serious and after a clear, code doesn't come back.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Having a car is great. Just keeping it working is a challenge, especially with our big government here that requires inspections to keep a car.

Inspections are universally annoying, and sometimes necessary.
But your maintenance woes stem from your affection for American-branded cars.

We don't have any issues keeping our car(s) working, never have - since we abandoned GM in favor of Toyota and Honda. My used Hondas and Toyotas, purchased with 100K+ mileage, all ran on nothing more than oil/filter changes and minor tuneup parts, tires and brakes, until they seriously failed emissions, and were sold cheap for export.

The new car we purchased, had zero mechanical issues for the first eight years and 100K miles. Eight years out of warranty, the computer executed an HCF instruction and delivered a knock-out punch to the transmission.

The result? Eight years out of warranty - Toyota replaced the computer module and the transmission, paid for the flatbed tow, and gave us a loaner car for two weeks - NO CHARGE.

I, too, prefer American rides, but they're not worth the trouble.
Might as well take the bus...
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to elray

to elray
I was going to say, I wouldn't use public transit in Southern California, but I would (and have) used it in many other areas of the United States, and Europe with any problem. Also, Bart is fine.

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

I have.....

An interview next week and I hope to break my 3 year drought without a full time job. I am so looking forward to it.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

Re: I have.....

What's the job?

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

YukonHawk

Client Development Manager. The role is to maintain a client base of about 50 accounts and grow the existing base. There's also a performance bonus tied to closing any new business via inside sales. It's a little bit of everything which is what I like to do. It's a similar job I had just prior to a layoff.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Good luck and good skill!

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Thanks!
JackBauer
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to YukonHawk

to YukonHawk
So what is your "game plan" for the interview?

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

YukonHawk

said by JackBauer:

So what is your "game plan" for the interview?

I am going in with my "A" game. I study up on the company and ask the appropriate questions. I always give a firm hand shake and make good eye contact. Most important is to listen intently.
JackBauer
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

Not preaching to you because you seem to know what you're doing - but I'm engaging here because you've been 3 years without a full time job, it was possible you were doing something wrong.

My only two remaining thoughts...

1) Interviews are the time to be verbose, not succinct. Engage, and "own" the conversation. Let them see your excitement; Your passion. Lean in, not back.

2) Ask the right questions. Asking about what the training process is or some other HR thing is a wasted question. Ask insightful questions... Oh I dunno, like, "I see you have a prominent LinkedIn page. Have you found LinkedIn as a good resource for developing leads from existing clients?"

Someone who ended up being one of my best hires had researched the technology of a product he'd likely be working on and asked me some questions about it. It was really the only time a prospective employee or contractor asked a detailed question like that. A much better impression than asking about flex-time or the training process.

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

YukonHawk

I know know you're not preaching just lending valuable advise that I appreciate. I have run the gamut of attending jobs fairs, sitting in on workshops offering interview tips. I have also spoken to a seasoned job coach. She mentioned exactly as you did..."lean in" and be engaged. I do have the 'gift of gab' but not to the point where I just like to hear my own voice, but adding to the conversation and validating what the other person is speaking about. Adding value is key to any conversation.

Why haven't I gotten hired??? Could it have been the cutoffs, bare feet, offering them a beer and smoke during the interview?

Just joking of course. I do have a part time job to fill in the gaps and take some pressure off my wife, but it's not enough income to really speak of on my part. On the bright side side of the equation.... I had the time to be around for when my two children got home from school. I taught my son to ride his bike with out training wheel and that was priceless.

Thanks for the advise as I am always willing to hear it and heed it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
Good Luck
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
Best of luck. Hope it works out for you.

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I'll have good news to report back.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

The real bitcoin miners...

interesting news story, sorry about the long commercial first, worth the wait I think.
»www.komonews.com/home/vi ··· 731.html

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Oil Vs Gas....

I received a letter from NYSEG yesterday saying that many people in the neighbor are clamoring to extend the gas main off the main road. The larger the pool of people the less the costs.

Has anyone converted from oil to gas recently? Are you happy that you did and have your heating costs come down?

Right now we spend on average about 3 grand on oil to heat a 3000 square foot house. We have base board heat and our hot water is on demand. I would love to convert to a gas boiler. NYSEG is offering a bunch of rebates on 85% to 90% efficiency units. I know oil gives you more heat per BTU than natural gas so I am also wondering if it will still cost less than oil. Oh the decisions!

•••••••••••••••

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Anyone want to help kit kats ???

No, I'm not talking about the Android update

Legitimate (and fun) fundraiser online for 501c3 charity. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link *looks hopeful*.

••••

Cgar2
@clearwire-wmx.net

Cgar2

Anon

Story idea

How about a story on the missing 777's tracking devices and how they report back the data? Lots of information provided by the engines, just curious how they check in...

••••••

Dirigible
@google.com

1 recommendation

Dirigible

Anon

Newest Goodyear blimp is a dirigible

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· qir4pKGY

Story: »abcnews.go.com/US/t/stor ··· e.com%2F

Name the blimp: »m.goodyear.com/en-US/com ··· ny/blimp

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

Re: Newest Goodyear blimp is a dirigible

Very Cool. The Blimp Base used to be right down the road from me back in the 70's. Now it is a Lowe's.

Blob
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Dirigible

Premium Member

to Dirigible
I think even if they built a full Zeppelin we would still call it the Goodyear Blimp.

Its interesting they went semi-ridged but makes sense to get the performance they wanted in the new version.

I tend to think this is one of the best investments Goodyear makes, They are not the only one who does aerial sports coverage but most people today when they think blimps and sports the first thought is always Goodyear.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I'm finally in the 21st century for radio

I discovered the iTunes Radio feature on my iPhone and it plays much better music selections than my Sirius satellite radio. The '90s music it plays is actually the '90s music I remember from the '90s radio, not the B-list hip-hop crap you hear on the Sirius or the Sonic Tap on DirecTV.

Now I need to calculate how much data to purchase from Verizon Wireless to listen in the car. I drive about 45 minutes to an hour each day.

••••

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

What do you think about Crimea?

Having failed to prevent a Russian-sponsored referendum in Crimea, the Obama administration and its European allies refocused their efforts Sunday on keeping Moscow from annexing the autonomous Ukrainian region and expanding its military moves into other parts of Ukraine.

In a telephone call to Russian President Vladi­mir Putin — his third in two weeks — President Obama said that the referendum “would never be recognized by the United States and the international community” and that “we are prepared to impose additional costs on Russia for its actions,” the White House said.
»www.washingtonpost.com/w ··· ory.html
Russia is taking Crimea no matter what. Even Putin's Euro allies are getting the cold shoulder.

Should we (USA) mix it up with Russia?