spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-18 09:01:41: March Madness recently began with the selection of teams who would be participating in the college basketball tournament. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Mr Guy

@charter.com

1 recommendation

So?

"Unfortunately for cord cutters, if you do not have a cable subscription then, you will only be able to stream three hours of games (found on TNT, TBS and TruTV) via NCAA.com before being forced to authenticate"

You should consider yourself lucky you can get anything normally on those channels if you don't have cable. I'm not sure why cord cutters expect the same things that people that pay for cable get. Though perhaps a return of the pay option for those that really need to see very game should still be on option.

Ok I get you feel you pay too much for pay TV so you cut the cord, ok fine. So how does that still entitle you to the content shown on pay tv? You make a choice. You either pay for the content and get said content or you choose to not pay for it and don't get said content. I wonder if that will work at a restaurant? "No sir I will not pay for that steak dinner because you ask to much. I still want you to give me that steak dinner for free. Otherwise you are ripping me off and denying my rights as an American to free shit."

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

But I don't watch sports...

...at home.

There are perfectly good bars with friendly crowds down the road from me. I'll watch there, thank you.
--
Splat

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

3 recommendations

reply to Mr Guy

Re: So?

quote:
You should consider yourself lucky you can get anything
Gosh, who could argue with that? Get back into your holes and eat your gruel, everyone!

hello123454
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Wilmington, DE
kudos:1
reply to Mr Guy
Sounds familiar...kinda like fast food workers demanding $15 / hour. I don't want to get an education to advance my career but I still want you to pay me $15 / hour or I'm stopping commerce.

TransitJohn

join:2009-05-08
Littleton, CO

As a cord cutter myself

Yes, I'm frustrated. I decided that live sports is the only thing of value, really, and I wasn't willing to pay through the nose for the occasional game I had time to watch. So I am frustrated by this.

My main comment is that you would think that these guys would have learned from the record companies, who went through this almost 20 years ago, now. The consumer will win out in the end. If they would get out in front, and give consumers what they want to pay for, they could ensure their long-term viability. But, there's a decided lack of creativity in corporate boardrooms.

Mr Guy

@charter.com

2 recommendations

reply to hello123454

said by hello123454:

Sounds familiar...kinda like fast food workers demanding $15 / hour. I don't want to get an education to advance my career but I still want you to pay me $15 / hour or I'm stopping commerce.

Apples and oranges. You can debate whether the minimum income from any work should be $15 an hour. Not to mention all the unintended consequences by keeping the minimum wage really low. Higher dependence on food stamps, welfare Medicaid. Higher ETIC payments. Less SS and Medicare taxes being collected thus increases in those deficits.

With this it's simple, I pay my cable bill every month and if one chooses to not do that they don't deserve to get the same content as I do.

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to TransitJohn

Re: As a cord cutter myself

So you should get it for free and I as pay TV subscriber should pay for it?

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

quote:
You should consider yourself lucky you can get anything
Gosh, who could argue with that? Get back into your holes and eat your gruel, everyone!

The point is they didn't have to give ANY free streaming out. Before games where streamed on the internet how many games that were on cable did a cord cutter get to see? ZERO.

TransitJohn

join:2009-05-08
Littleton, CO
reply to Mr Guy
You really misunderstand and mis-state the situation. Cord cutters really want to give our money to and buy the content we want from its creators, we just don't want to give ten thousand pounds of flesh to a middle man (cable company). Can you not see that?

RJW1678

join:2003-01-15
Wilmington, DE

6 recommendations

Who Cares !

As a cord cutter who hates sports on TV, I say who cares? Certainly not me.

Later
Bob W.

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3

6 recommendations

F@ck Sports

Sports are the reason prices are high, they should be unbundled. Let people have a choice and see how many sports fans there really are.

MDA
From Monkey to Man
Premium
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to Mr Guy

said by Mr Guy :

With this it's simple, I pay my cable bill every month and if one chooses to not do that they don't deserve to get the same content as I do.

That's a bit arrogant in this ever-changing technological world we live in...

Obviously, Internet is the new TV. It's a multi-protocol system that can not only facilitate broadcast TV, but be able to reach out to places where cable plants are not available (wireless, cellular, etc.).

The cable companies are scared of this and know its evident. They jack up prices within a customer's contract to lock them in until they become self-aware of their own cable bill and threaten to cancel service (cord-cutters).

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

1 recommendation

Two weeks until Im cut

Just two more episodes of Walking Dead before my cord is cut...

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to TransitJohn

"we just don't want to give ten thousand pounds of flesh to a middle man"

So why stop there? Why not complain about that you have to go to a middle man to buy a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, or even a bag of chip. It's crazy we can't go right to the refinery to get our gas or run a garden hose to the river for our water.

Many of the content providers don't want to fool with the end user and if that's what they want to do it's their right. It's also your right to give them the finger and not view their content. In the end many believe that they are entitled to watch these games even if they are not a customer of said networks. If you want to by pass the "Middle Man" then you need to go to the sporting event.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

2 recommendations

reply to hello123454
said by hello123454:

I know a handful of fast-food workers who have Masters degrees. And 1 Wal*Mart cashier.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

4 recommendations

Can We Look Forward To...

...them removing the incessant pro and college sports garbage from broadcast TV, too?

Please?

That endless pro and college sports crap on TV is worse than "reality TV."

Jim

anon4fites

@rr.com

1 recommendation

I never watch sports

I had been subsidizing sport watchers for the last 10-15 years (because I NEVER watch sports). Why shouldn't they be willing to subsidize me the one or two games my friends will be over for?

Seriously, there are millions of people out there who simply don't care about sports. Forcing the tab on us for something we don't care about is a form of welfare. Deal with it.

io chico
Premium
join:2003-12-30
Chico, CA

1 recommendation

Sports?

Cord Cutter = I no longer have to pay for sports I never watched.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

2 recommendations

reply to battleop

I don't resent going to the supermarket to buy a loaf of bread. However, I would deeply resent it if they said that, in order to get that bread, I also had to buy a gallon of milk, a bag of apples, a jar of pickles, a box of pasta, a package of hamburger buns, and a pound of ground beef. That's what the cable companies are doing.

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

Why not complain about that you have to go to a middle man to buy a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, or even a bag of chip.

The fact that bakeries still exist aside, you're using a grocery store as an example. When I go to the grocery store to get a bag of chips, they don't demand I get dip, cheese puffs, soda, and ice cream as well. No, they let me buy what I want al a carte. I am sure many cord cutters would be more than happy to pay for the few select channels they want instead of over inflated packages of garbage.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Mr Guy
The point is that until recently, most of the March Madness games, if not all, were available to watch OTA for free on CBS. This was one of the reasons that helped it become so popular, as everybody could watch it if they wanted to, whether or not they had a cable subscription.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to Kommie

Re: F@ck Sports

said by Kommie:

Sports are the reason prices are high, they should be unbundled. Let people have a choice and see how many sports fans there really are.

I agree 110%. As I have less than zero interest in professional sports and really have no idea exactly what a "bracket" is, I am fine with the networks charging as much as they can get for sports programming (or any other programming for that matter). It boils down to the simple fact "I DO NOT HAVE TO WATCH". I realize there are people that turning off the TV would be akin to quitting heroine cold turkey. In those cases, they should seek professional help.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to Kommie
Everyone is so spoiled.

I remember having cable in the late 80's-early 90's. Basic service was about $40-50, if you wanted the movie channels it was an extra $30-40. Wanted HBO in more than one room? That's an extra fee. A remote control for the cable box? $2.50 a month, please, and you can have the big, clunky, brown remote that barely worked and you had to get replaced twice a year.

And what did you get for your $100 in 1990? In my area (and we were lucky to have a more modern system), about 50 channels which I could probably still list from memory. Oh, and the service went out regularly, the customer service was two ladies at the office there in town (who were knowledgeable and friendly, mind you) who couldn't handle the call volume when there was a problem.

What do I get today? For $160 I get a few hundred channels, an HD DVR, HBO (I don't need *all* the movie channels like I used to) on all the TVs, more modern equipment that doesn't fail regularly, one, possibly two outages in the last 5 years, customer service that is responsive and aware of problems, 30 Megabit high speed internet, and unlimited nationwide telephone service.

Inflation adjusted, I'm paying less for 3 services than it cost for one 25 years ago. The price is actually lower than it's ever been. Now, that being said, many people can't afford the luxury of Pay-TV. That's a personal decision *you* need to make as to whether or not you can afford Pay TV. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean the price is too high.

I can't afford an S-Class Mercedes. I wouldn't argue that the price of them are too high, you get a hell of a lot of car for the money. But I'm not going to go around decrying the price of an S-Class Mercedes just because I don't have the budget for one. Too many people want something for nothing anymore, and it's so tired. If you can't afford Pay-TV, cancel it and watch OTA and streams.

Can't afford internet? Guess you just get OTA. Can't afford a TV? Then you get to twiddle your thumbs. That's the way it works, you don't get to cry something is too expensive just because you can't or don't want to spend the money on it. It's the American entitlement complex run amok. You aren't special, snowflake, pay the bill or stare at the wall.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to cableties

Re: But I don't watch sports...

Never understood why people would want to sit and watch a game or event with a million drunken idiots screaming at the TV, not being able to hear the audio all while eating overpriced food and if your into that thing, drinking overpriced devils's piss (alcohol). I'd rather be in the comfort of my own home watching it on my own 55", listening in multichannel digital surround sound, being able to pause and create my own instant replays and best of all not have to deal with obnoxious drunks. Also being able to flip between other games of interest, not just what the bar wants to show is a plus.

I'll catch an occasional UFC fight at Quaker Steak but even at $55-$65 a pop, I'd rather watch at home.

We need more sports on TV not less. More AHL hockey would be great, and I'll welcome more box lacrosse. Plus it's fun reading all the people on this site whine about one of the most watched cable channels ever, the worldwide leader in sports, ESPN. Thank you all for subsidizing my sports addiction!
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

norm

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to juilinsandar

Terrible infomercials should not count as use in regards to their use it or lose it requirements. If broadcasters are going to continue to degrade their OTA programming quality, they should hurry up and forfeit their spectrum already.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to TransitJohn
So let me get this straight. Rather than have TV service where you pay $60 or $70 a month for full cable service, you'd pay an ISP (probably a cable company or telco) $50 or $60 for internet service then individually pay $5-10 a month to each of numerous content providers?

Methinks you're either bad at math or like wasting money.

norm

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by clone:

So let me get this straight. Rather than have TV service where you pay $60 or $70 a month for full cable service, you'd pay an ISP (probably a cable company or telco) $50 or $60 for internet service then individually pay $5-10 a month to each of numerous content providers?

Methinks you're either bad at math or like wasting money.

Methinks you're not considering the fact that they would already be paying for internet even if they had cable. Sure, there might be a "discount" but it's not that significant.

Also, is $5-10 a month an arbitrary figure you just came up with or can you elaborate on what that would provide?

norm

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Happydude32

Re: But I don't watch sports...

said by Happydude32:

drinking overpriced devils's piss (alcohol)

It's so hard to find a good single malt devil's piss out in public so I typically just drink at home.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to Happydude32
Go to any venue that hosts events like the MassMutual Center and that food is way overpriced. Like $6 for a freaking soda that has more ice than Mountain Dew in the cup.

stonecaster

join:2010-10-17
reply to MDA

Maybe the internet is the new tv. However the internet doesnt carry all the channels simple as that. Directv has channels I want to watch that my local cable company doesnt therefore I CHOOSE Directv. If you choose internet tv then you get what internet tv offers. Since Im willing to pay for my television experience I expect to receive more than those that dont.