spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-21 16:31:53: Verizon has already gotten in trouble in New York State for refusing to repair highly-subsidized and regulated copper DSL and POTS service, and now it appears the company is also facing a new round of complaints in California. ..

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

matter of time

If the "IP transition" that Verizon and AT&T want to see happen results in widespread rollout of FiOS, then I think people shouldn't complain. There are wide swaths of ATT/VZ areas who are stuck on old, legacy DSL and those are the areas that they want to drop completely.

TO expect the old, copper, PSTN to live on forever is silly. However, they should be held to the same universal service standards (and internet access of a minimum speed should be added to universal service requirements) and wireless should not be considered a suitable replacement as long as there are draconian data caps in place.

However, to get FiOS instead of just dumped onto wireless or abandoned completely would be a dream come true to many people.

Imathrowaway

@172.242.86.x

1 recommendation

Re: matter of time

You do understand that FiOS can do copper loop replacement, right? Like, not "digital voice", but deliver a circuit switched, landline loop over fiber, right?

The implication that the PSTN is incompatible with fiber is largely a load of crap. As is their forcing FiOS customers to switch to that - this is a recent development; they've run individual users over fiber right onto the POTS switches since FiOS first came out.

mixdup

Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Imathrowaway :

You do understand that FiOS can do copper loop replacement, right? Like, not "digital voice", but deliver a circuit switched, landline loop over fiber, right?

The implication that the PSTN is incompatible with fiber is largely a load of crap. As is their forcing FiOS customers to switch to that - this is a recent development; they've run individual users over fiber right onto the POTS switches since FiOS first came out.

Then what is the complaint, that they are being forced on VoIP instead of a circuit switched voice product delivered over fiber?

There should be a transition period, heavily advertised, and worked through with all the various stakeholders, but just like AMPS eventually died, circuit switched voice will go away. They can't be expected to keep up old analog technology just for alarm companies to never upgrade their equipment.

That said, wireless should never be acceptable as a replacement, and broadband should be added to universal service requirements.
WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Leaving them on switched circuits is redundant and expensive. I guess Verizon could charge extra for people to keep the POTS service over FiOS. The VoIP does the same thing over IP that POTS does. The other problem is it is getting harder and harder to get parts for the switches. The best switch service is in the same place in history that horse and buggies were when Ford came out with the Model T. The Telcos no longer have the monopoly to support the system that POTS lived under. How can the telcos support an old system when 2/3 of those customers have dropped that type of service.

That said almost every customer that is connected to the power grid should also have or be getting FTTH soon.

Cmon

@verizon.net

Pots is government regulated (price fixed). The fiber network is not. Vz is conning many into switching onto their FIOS network for voice only without telling them they are giving up their rights to regulated copper service. They are also telling them it is not "FIOS" just upgraded fiber lines. They are also not told their new fiber line may not work if they have a power failure (after the battery backup dies). For some people this is important information. How important would it be for a disabled or elderly person with a medical device (such as a medic alert type) to know that when a power outage occurs they may lose their ability to get emergency services?

mixdup

Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Cmon :

Pots is government regulated (price fixed). The fiber network is not. Vz is conning many into switching onto their FIOS network for voice only without telling them they are giving up their rights to regulated copper service. They are also telling them it is not "FIOS" just upgraded fiber lines. They are also not told their new fiber line may not work if they have a power failure (after the battery backup dies). For some people this is important information. How important would it be for a disabled or elderly person with a medical device (such as a medic alert type) to know that when a power outage occurs they may lose their ability to get emergency services?

Then those things are what need to be fixed, not an endless continuation of the old analog PSTN. We want broadband expansion but we want them to keep supporting old copper. We bitch about not expanding fiber, and then bitch when they do. I agree that new regulatory systems need to be put into place on things like FiOS and U-Verse, but that shouldn't include supporting the PSTN forever.

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR
Right now there is no "universal service" obligation for broadband in the law. Universal service applies to POTS only.

But if ISPs want subsidies in order to deploy broadband, then I agree that universal service obligations should apply.

fg8578

Salem, OR

I should amend this to say that the FCC did recently modify the universal service fund rules so that subsidies can now (as of November, 2011) be applied to broadband. But those subsidies are for telcos only, not cable companies.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

5 recommendations

I'd gladly sue them to get FiOS

I'd gladly sue them demanding they upgrade my area to FiOS and use the discovery process to uncover why certain areas were NOT upgraded to FiOS during the initial rollout and why FiOS expansion has been suspended.

In my book they can shut down POTS/DSL but only if those areas are upgraded to FiOS.
jades

join:2013-04-01
New York, NY

Re: I'd gladly sue them to get FiOS

+1
I just dont understand how they have the balls to sue verizon for giving them something better. It's because of these people that it's so difficult for companies like verizon to give us something better.
silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

These people are very common. They obviously don't usually sue, but they refuse to upgrade to fiber. That is one of the reasons Verizon is reluctant to upgrade more areas to FiOS. As long as they have to maintain both networks, they cannot take advantage of the cost savings of having an all-fiber network. In fact the copper network in FiOS areas is probably losing them money.

AnonMe

@comcastbusiness.net

To us "users" who live and die by good Internet access, it's a no-brainer. To others who live and die by deciding whether to pay MORE for better Internet and digital phone service versus their prescription medications needed to live, or food, or heat, then this is a big deal.

Additionally, analog modems are still alive and well in many industries. In fact, some fire departments REQUIRE a POTS line for commercial fire systems to get and keep a Certificate of Occupancy for a business or residential housing units. "Digital Phone" service like Comcast and FOIS doesn't meet the requirements of the most stubborn, unflexible, fire departments. Many fire departments are happy to shut down businesses without applying any common sense approaches. Some businesses may also be locked into 3 year contracts for equipment like credit card processing machines, etc.

And once the copper is gone, the regulation that requires all to be serviced in a given area, is effectively gutted as well.

Beyond that, there are still plenty of copper private line circuits that will remain for a really long time to come.

It's easy to say, kill the copper, but there are LOTS of industries that still rely on it. I completely understand the goal of going fiber, but it's not as easy as saying pull the plug on copper.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 edit

I've been saying that too, here in Mass the lottery terminals depend on ISDN circuits. The state probably thinks it's more secure than IP.

I guess they can't suddenly have that $400 million Powerball winning ticket sold seconds after it was drawn.

Another thing that would easily get hacked is the Keno system if they went IP.

In some ways leased lines are more secure as the traffic is off limits to the general internet, which limits hacking abilities. That's why state lotteries use them.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

Aren't some FiOS ONTs meant for Business use designed to spit out T1 or ISDN circuits for this exact reason? I think I remember seeing such an ONT, but I might be just imagining things.
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

1 recommendation

What do you think happens to those ISDN lines when they hit the switch? No different than alarm companies, the state lottery needs to adapt, or pay for the privilege (it'll become exponentially more expensive) of maintaining a technology/infrastructure that is quickly approaching EOL. If the lottery can't afford to upgrade its technology I guess they need to withhold more from the payout.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

One user pointed out there are many users still on analog modems that refuse to upgrade, especially some fire departments that will issue a non-compliance order if the fire alarm is connected by any other phone service other than copper.
openbox9
Premium
Germany

1 recommendation

said by IowaCowboy:

One user pointed out there are many users still on analog modems that refuse to upgrade, especially some fire departments that will issue a non-compliance order if the fire alarm is connected by any other phone service other than copper.

And there are many devices historically connected to modems and two tiny copper wires that have been upgraded/replaced to work with technologies available in the 21st Century. It's time to move forward.
WhatNow
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

If the price goes up they will change over. The fire dept is just like the people on med alerts devices that need POTS they need to move into the 21 century or pay for keeping the old technology. When an old POTS line cost $200 people will drop it. If customers can choose nothing, cable, wireless, and satellite. Many service stations use satellite for their credit card transactions. Why should the telco maintain a run of cable with only 10-20 customers when it may have had 200 customers in the 80s.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

I do have a corded phone but my Panasonic cordless phone set will power the base if you put a charged handset in the base during a power outage.
openbox9
Premium
Germany
said by WhatNow:

If the price goes up they will change over.

Granted, but therein lies a problem since dial tone is regulated and the price can't easily be increased to 'encourage' customers to migrate.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
state lotteries is too broad. Here in NJ the machine is most certainly on the IP network. infact its on 3G or a satellite link because they have no way to know if every location has ISDN for which support is growing increasingly rare.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Ohio uses HughesNet for all lottery terminals.
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

2 recommendations

said by jades:

I just dont understand how they have the balls to sue verizon for giving them something better.

In one very important area (service survival time during power outages) copper is superior to fiber. Verizon can truck generators in that will power their central offices almost indefinitely during disasters, indeed they exactly that during our area wide floods in 2011. Copper allows these centralized generators to power all hard wired subscriber voice devices, regardless of whether or not power exists at their address.

Is that sole advantage sufficient justification to keep copper around? Probably not. But let's not pretend it isn't a real issue for a lot of customers, or ignore the real costs imposed on people and businesses who need to provision their own backup power supply to maintain communications during emergencies.

I would be livid if Verizon just showed up at my home (or worse, my business) one day and announced they were cutting the copper and moving us over to fiber. Are they actually doing that, or is this push-back from people who had ample notice of the switchover but still don't want to go along for whatever reason?
openbox9
Premium
Germany

said by Crookshanks:

Copper allows these centralized generators to power all hard wired subscriber voice devices, regardless of whether or not power exists at their address.

As long as the consumers still have line powered devices.
said by Crookshanks:

I would be livid if Verizon just showed up at my home (or worse, my business) one day and announced they were cutting the copper and moving us over to fiber.

Granted, but I would hope that VZ provided notice that this change was coming. With said notice, users shouldn't have a choice as VZ moves to replace copper with fiber. It's horribly inefficient to maintain two parallel infrastructures.

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

If users shouldn't have a choice, then VZ should be forced to keep all obligations under a copper network with their fiber network. It is that simple.
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp
openbox9
Premium
Germany

Such as?

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

Such as being regulated by the PUC.
jades

join:2013-04-01
New York, NY
It's funny because after hurricane sandy, in NYC all copper services were down. Phone, t1, EOC, you name it. All fios and other fiber connections were up and running. So anything can go dead at any given moment. Nothing is reliable these days. A truck can ram into a copper pole and take the fire station service down for few days, meanwhile the coax and the cable being run through the backyards can be holding steady

What's ironic was that the entire verizon wireless network - lte and CDMA were down for almost two weeks after the hurricane. Also in NYC. Phones displayed signal but I guess their fios network survived and their supposedly fiber enabled lte network didn't survive
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC

said by jades:

It's funny because after hurricane sandy, in NYC all copper services were down. Phone, t1, EOC, you name it. All fios and other fiber connections were up and running.

I assume you mean your copper services and not ALL copper services. There were only a couple of COs that completely flooded out to knock out all copper services. The majority of copper services in NYC were up throughout the storm and afterwards. I spent over a month of 12 hr days/7 days a week resplicing all the fiber that was knocked out (they told us to ignore the copper troubles). Also, pretty much anyone that lost power for more than 24 hrs lost their FIOS when the back-up battery died. Strangely, that doesn't count against Verizon as a 'trouble'. My parents had no phone (FIOS) for 2 weeks; they had to go to the neighbor's house to use their POTS line which worked fine.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
power failure stability is the biggest thing for POTS really, Other than that it has no advantages over fiber/cable.

but I think anything above a small business likely has to have battery or generator for telephones anyway once they move up beyond basic multiple line units to a full PBX system(if they are even still called PBX systems.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports
WhatNow
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

There a lot of POTS customer that lose their service because the phones in the house are cordless. When the battery in the phone dies no dial tone. They do not think to keep an old phone to plug in when the power dies for a day. My buddies told me when the East Coast got hit by the snow and ice storm this February they kept them off the roads and let the electronic equipment feeding POTS out in the field die when the batteries were drained. If you copper pair does not go all the way back to the CO don't count on service after about 12 hours. The telcos no longer support the POTS system like they did in the past. If they piss customers off and they leave the system that is one more customer they don't have to worry about fighting over moving them to IP.

••••

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 recommendation

said by jades:

It's because of these people that it's so difficult for companies like verizon to give us something better.

And a way for these rip off artists to make more money! Personally, I think Verizon and AT&T should be disbanded for their continuous lies and everything despicable they do! Which is just about everything! Can't stand either company!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY
Add me as your co defendant so we can sue Verizon so we get Fios now!!!
wildthing202

join:2007-08-14
Douglas, MA
That's easy the state senate didn't pass a Verizon friendly bill and they just stopped building it out.

fb

@rr.com
and that is what Verizon is doing.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

1 edit

Sued and Claim Filed

Filing a claim with the PUC and using are two different things. And no link to another claim backing this up to see what it actually is?

Also there is NOTHING about California. It's NJ and its the State that it is doing it- »www.nj.gov/oag/ca/press/fiosp.htm

••••••••
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

nowadays...

after major storms we've had & major disasters such as hurricanes, blackouts, earthquakes & terrorism events you can argue that POTS copper lines are becoming LESS reliable than FIOS...

if you need emergency communications, you should buy and maintain a lifeline cellphone (911 does NOT require a service plan and/or ACTIVATION of the phone!!) and an analog citizen band/ham radio (CB and/or GMRS/family radio transmitter) These are increasingly being utilized in such disasters. Total investment over 5 years is less than $400 and as low as $25.

As is often the case, what's missing in the details is the migrated services tend to cost MORE to the customer AFTER the migration and this is a WIN-WIN for the company and a lose-lose for elderly on a fixed income and not technology literate plus not able to pay the replacement costs of a backup battery (also lacking skills to replace one) due to limited mobility and financial hardship.

••••••

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

2 recommendations

A few things going on here

As odd as it sounds, some people dont want FIOS. I will never understand why someone would say no to having a 21st Century communications link on their property, but people are WEIRD.

Hey, if they dont like it, move to the much more common Non-FIOS VZ territory, sometimes only a mile out of FIOS territory (or less, in instances where VZ chose to only deploy to 1 neighborhood).

But why? VZ barely maintains its copper, its falling off of the poles. Its not like the POTS service could have been that great with ancient unmaintained infrastructure.

I agree that where FIOS has been deployed, the Copper should be removed and recycled. However, the gutting of regulations set forth during the era of Ma Bell must stop. We need to modernize the requirements to the Internet age - mandate Universal Service of basic broadband, just like Telephone service. Maintain the 5 9s standard for Voice uptime - should be easier on Fiber!

If Verizon (the RBOC/exGTE operating companies of VZ) wants to survive, they need to get moving with building out FIOS to its massive landline footprint that is yet to be upgraded. The thing is....I dont think VZs CEO wants the old Wireline divisions to survive. Mr. McWireless grand plan is probably to divest the Ex-Bell and GTE operating companies so that VZ is only made up of VZW, and VZ Business (MCI-Worldcom). (See his ramblings about trimming the tree from some time ago) With some creative accounting, they could dump the debt of buying out VZW onto the divested landlines division.

Its not going to just be Bell Atlantic...its now Bell Titanic! Bell Atlantic II would HAVE to deploy FTTH to survive, with no wireless cash cow. But it would have no money due to being saddled with VZs old debt. So who would take this on?

The new AT&T? CenturyLink?
Talk about going full circle. Either of these options brings Ma Bell 1 step from resurrection minus Bell Labs/Western Electric. Only this time its a more evil, zombie Ma, not the old mean Ma that actually did some (a lot) of good while having bad sides.

:/

We are already getting Pa Cable with the TW/Comcast potential merger......and he doesn't have good intentions. Hes the type of Pa that abandons your family on the street, while taking all the money.

•••
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

No Truth!

There is NOTHING that states VZ is being sued by TURN nor the State of Cali. NJ is using VZ, but TURN is NOT.

»www.turn.org/press-room/press-re···ing.html They are filing complaints with the PUC of California. BIG difference there.

••••

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA

I wish...

Wish my VZ copper area was upgraded to FiOS
horseshoe
Premium
join:2006-10-11
Upland, CA

Re: I wish...

Now that would be an accomplishment, FiOS at Mt. Baldy? However, you may be first on the list of POTL downgrades, once Upland is downgraded, in the zones that are FiOS dead.

vzsux

@as29550.net

what people don't understand

What people dont understand on why a customer refuses migration, is because that when a Fios tech shows up to do a migration install, the customer thinks the tech is there to fix the copper line on a copper repair ticket. Once the tech explains that they will need to run a fiber drop wire, install an ONT inside or outside(whuch still require an indoor battery backup unit) and at times run new inside telephone wire from the ont to all of the customers wired jacks, which in many cases is a royal pain in the ass. once the the customer realizes that they need to be there for at least 5-8 hrs for the techs to do it, and doesn't realize that there is labor intensive work that needs to b e done, the customer becomes irate(which who could blame them-now they feel lied to). Verizon is pushing migration orders on most repair tickets where the copper is in good condition. They push migration orders where the trouble is coming from the customers telephone and not a network caused issue. VZ is out of control

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: what people don't understand

The only chance that Verizon will ever expand FiOS is if they can transition their existing plant to fiber. Their competitors dont maintain two wired networks, and neither should they. They are totally IN control. You sound like one of their copper techs. Let go my friend, look toward the future, because if they have to continue mainatining copper for a minority of people, youll find yourself working for Frontier or another no-name phone company destined to go bankrupt.
pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
What are you talking about? Why would a tech have to rewire the whole house? Inside wire is reused to the ONT. While i don't disagree that they are pushing migration, but in NY where i work, they can't be forced.

Probitas

@teksavvy.com

I agree

Every phone service they provide should meet the same standards as required if it were wired telephony. If they can't meet them, explain why people have to take risks with service in emergency situations that would be unacceptable if it were still supported adequately with regulation. The likely answer is money, too cheap to meet the requirements, because they pay too much to shareholders and CEO's. The bottom line is money, and they don't want to part with it for something that doesn't show immediate growth or return.

fg8578

Salem, OR

There's a difference between a "lawsuit" and a "PUC complaint"

I just want to remind Karl that a PUC complaint is not a "lawsuit".

Maybe it's a technical legal distinction, but as someone who has written about telecom as long as Bode has, he should know the difference and use the correct term.

Of course a headline shouting "Verizon sued" will generate more clicks than a headline announcing a PUC complaint.

join:2014-01-06

Zenit and Probitas make the best points yet.

I always chuckle at how short the typical "Murican attention span is.
Doesn't anyone remember how much taxpayers dollars were contributed to the original Baby Bells, which Verizon has benefited from, otherwise they were have likely not existed as we know them today. Since these companies reaped
extraordinary benefits from the citizens of the USA, they need to be held to some form of responsibility to those citizens or else pay ALL that money back in full.
Both Verizon and AT&T need to make commitments to building out FTTH and businesses as the long range plan, they have something else coming if they think that consumers will be willingly soaked by outrageous and less than reliable wireless connections with equally outrageous caps.

The executives who head these companies today need to start taking some responsibility for the long term health of these businesses, perhaps the gov't should force them to be removed from being publicly traded, which would quickly change the short term, get rich quick attitude of the current brass tacks which borders on malfeasance.

••••••••••

mushmouth

join:2001-12-13
Earth

Old people

Most of the people who have had Fios available and haven't switched or went with a full triple from their cable provide are older.They feel that that phone line will be there through blackouts, storms....What the fail to realize is that VZ is doing nothing to maintain the lines so that noise static hums wont get better they will just get worse.The new repair guidelines are if the trouble is from pole to house repair it, if it's in the network VZ leaves the customer with only 3 options.Migrate or leave, it's crazy.
Clecs are the only ones who will get get a shot at a line repair, so if a res customer moves to a clec they will still keep their line for now.
I feel for these older people who really don't want to switch, but will have no choice.

CCarson

join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

Re: Old people

said by mushmouth:

Most of the people who have had Fios available and haven't switched or went with a full triple from their cable provide are older.

I'm a DSL customer in a FiOS area. Probably one of very few, but in my case I'm not elderly. I use a mobile phone for voice and an old-fashioned antenna/tuner card/media center PC for video. FiOS is just too expensive for a one-person household. My needs are met by 3Mbps DSL; even with an average of 1.5 service calls per year (and the attendant desperate FiOS upsell attempts by the techs), the savings are well worth it to me to stay on copper. In fact, it's now partly the amusement from the upsell desperation that keeps me on copper...
pittpete1

join:2009-06-12

Feel sorry?

Why would you feel sorry for an older person who is on a more reliable fiber line?

mushmouth

join:2001-12-13
Earth

Re: Feel sorry?

Some of these people haven't had an issue with their copper line in 50 years, uncommon yes but they're out there.Call in for a service call and they tell them they have no choice but to switch, they don't understand why they have to switch.
Fios has equip which does fail bbu,ont,so reliability is as good as product installed at the prem. it's what keeps the repair guys employed.

join:2014-01-06

Switch from POTS...Most Verizon customers will NEVER be able to get FiOS!

If Verizon continues of their obnoxiously greedy and short sighted course MOST of their customers will only have ONE choice get a Verizon wireless plan, which are very expensive, still have significantly less reliable connections that old copper,
(this is a fact even today) and heavily capped.

Frankly since this is a regulated company they should be severely penalized for not building out their fiber network. It is clear that OUR gov't is NOT doing what is in the best interest of the public. Instead highly paid lobbyists are of questionable legality and BUYING OFF OUR REPRESENTATIVES!

••••••••

Cmon

@verizon.net

News in Massachusetts is the same

Very relevant article from a newton, Massachusetts site...

»m.newton.wickedlocal.com/article···/OPINION

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4

Go ahead and dump my copper wires.

I want fiber!
frrc1971

join:2014-03-23

Pushy at times

Had a neighbor last week who was on an important conference call with their company, and the copper phone line went dead. They went outside, and a Verizon tech informed them "you are going to fios or lose all phone service". After a heated argument, the line was restored and the tech drove off. The neighbor also got into trouble with their employer for the disruption in service.

Migration to FIOS is a good idea, but showing up w/out warning, and pulling the copper is not the best way to do things. The term extortion comes to mind. BTW this was in MA...

LM

•••