spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-24 08:22:08: A report in the Wall Street Journal states that Comcast and Apple are in talks regarding some variety of online video streaming service. ..

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

I'll say it once...

AppleTV remote sucks.
Yes, it is a pretty design.
Yes, it is recyclable (aluminum).
Yes, it is too small and the directional dial is just not good.

Once again, form over function.

How many here have one of the new Logitech Ultimate One remotes? And any pros/cons? I had a 1000 and PoS... not sure I want to get bit again.
--
Splat

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25

Sounds like bundled over the top video offerings are coming this year

From the articles of Dish, and Directv, and now this, it seems that the content owners are willing to sell their content to standalone over the top offerings as long as bundles are kept fully intact. That's mostly pretty unfortunate for the consumers, but may be interesting if we have directv, Comcast, and Dish all offering competing over the top video packages. Maybe we can at least get out of the forced cable box rentals. Also will be interesting to see if local network affiliates and RSNs get left out in the cold if these are national packages being offered.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to cableties

Re: I'll say it once...

So toss it and use the Apple remote app on your iDevice.
So toss it and use a Bluetooth Keyboard.

Problem solved unless this is just an anti-Apple rant.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
Ah, forgot about the Remote app.
(not anti-apple but yes, definitely a rant. Wait, when don't I rant!)
--
Splat

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
said by cableties:

Ah, forgot about the Remote app.
(not anti-apple but yes, definitely a rant. Wait, when don't I rant!)

:) The remote app works really well for that sort of thing. I don't even know where the remote is for our Apple TV!

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to nfotiu

Re: Sounds like bundled over the top video offerings are coming this year

said by nfotiu:

From the articles of Dish, and Directv, and now this, it seems that the content owners are willing to sell their content to standalone over the top offerings as long as bundles are kept fully intact. That's mostly pretty unfortunate for the consumers, but may be interesting if we have directv, Comcast, and Dish all offering competing over the top video packages. Maybe we can at least get out of the forced cable box rentals. .

they will just make it up in the download cap overage charges

Grantb2

join:2002-12-10
Carlsbad, CA
reply to cableties

Do you realize you can program ANY remote control to take over for the ATV remote? (At least for the ATV3.) The capability is built in to the ATV. Simply find an unused remote -- or one with unused buttons you can re-map, like a multi-function remote whose VCR buttons you don't use -- and follow the instructions in the Settings section of your ATV. It takes under 5 minutes and then you can put that atrocious OEM decice in a drawer.

mlcarson

join:2001-09-20
Los Alamos, NM

Network neutrality

No big arguments on how this flies in the face of network neutrality if the traffic is receiving special treatment?

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR
said by mlcarson:

No big arguments on how this flies in the face of network neutrality if the traffic is receiving special treatment?

This has been characterized as a "managed" or "specialized" service, which is exempt from the Net Neutrality rules.

smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
reply to mlcarson
I don't see how it flies in the face of network neutrality. It's a service that Comcast sells. So they're making money on both ends of the deal, one from the cable modem and one from the video. If they don't guarantee its delivery on their network, they'll look like dumbasses to the people that pay for the service.

Every network prioritizes their own important traffic that their customer's pay for on both ends.

They do the same with voice. You can bet they prioritize their VoIP traffic that they sell to the customer. How stupid would they look if they can't support clear phone calls over the cable modem on the phone service they sell?

And no, they shouldn't try to prioritize other video or phone services, they don't sell those. Those should be best effort delivery.

If they purposely deprioritize other services like Netflix or Vonage, then that would fly in the face of Net Neutrality.

You can't tell me that Netflix isn't going to prioritize their video traffic over other traffic on their network to make sure their most important product gets to their customers. They won't let corporate backups interfere with paid video. Even if it doesn't have long to stay on their network, they are going to be sure their network isn't the problem if video is degraded somewhere else.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 edit
reply to fg8578
All services and packets can be characterized as "managed" or "specialized service".

This is 100% the reason for network neutrality and 100% the result of the tossed out rules and the stupidity of Netflix's move. They have opened the flood gates and until the FCC actually gets off their butts and addresses this, it is only going to get worse.

However, I dont expect the FCC to do it. I expect the chairman to talk tough but delay actually doing anything long enough that these agreements are signed all over the place and then it would become the FCC invalidating contracts and business deals thus making it harder to remove.

In essence, much like everything they want to change that does not have public acceptance.... they use desensitization over years to slowly make the public acceptable of it or to view it as well they have already been doing X so why not X+Y now? The most recent thing they did this with was Gay rights. Regardless of how you or I feel about it, look back 15 years and compare that to today's views. Call it "education" call it what you want, but in the end we as a society was "reeducated" the way the agenda called for.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to smcallah
Allowing anyone's network traffic for their service to bypass caps for toll charge is picking the winner and losers of said services and creating yet another barrier of entry.

In the beginning all will be fine and dandy, but given time the greed factor sets in and all goes to hell then.

fg8578

Salem, OR
reply to Skippy25
The "public" Internet is a "best efforts" network, it is neither specialized nor managed. And Comcast has to live under the NN rules, tossed out or not.

That's why I don't think this is a NN violation. After all, companies are not in the habit of announcing in a press release that they are breaking the rules.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

More likely to be a CableCard slot

The only way Apple will be able to get pay TV content onto Apple TV will be a CableCard slot or an agreement with Comcast that Comcast will own the Apple TV units in question (and control the conditional access) and you'll have to RENT them at three times the cost of a traditional set top and technician install required.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to Skippy25

Re: Network neutrality

Oh wow. Now Network Neutrality Ninnyism is a civil rights issue?

You've got it completely backwards.

Your NN regulations, which Comcast doesn't have to abide by, will only serve to push Apple, Netflix, and everyone else to make private agreements to bypass the Internet - and your regulations, in order that their streams are given more-than-neutral treatment.

We experience "neutral" treatment of Netflix, Youtube, and other traffic on common pipes every day, when our "neighbors" overwhelm the pipe, especially during peak hours, and under your scheme, consumers aren't allowed to have Netflix, et al, pay to assure delivery.

Everything degrades to the lowest common denominator, and the ISP is powerless to manage it, since you've ruled they must treat every packet equally.

Fortunately, NN will be but a faint memory soon, as the public does not care one bit.

lessismore

@comcast.net
reply to cableties

Don't quite understand your problem, cableties. I use an ATV remote with a Mac mini and EyeTV software to control EVERYTHING---TV functions, DVR functions, the whole bit, with 7 buttons. IMHO, it beats the heck out of over-buttoned monster remotes by a mile. But if you like lots of buttons, get one of those and knock yourself out

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to elray

Re: Network neutrality

You are sooooo weird. I get the feeling you never use the Internet for anything more than basic web browsing.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
He is never home to use the internet. Have you every been to Santa Monica? There is too much to do outside and on the beach...

fg8578

Salem, OR
reply to elray
Actually Comcast does have to obey the NN rules (at least for the next few years).

They agreed to do that as a condition of the NBCU merger, even if the rules were later overturned in court.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to sonicmerlin
If you mean we don't do online gaming, and we don't use Netflix, you'd be almost half right.

We have a Netflix subscription, which was a gift, but I find myself never using it, though I could be interested if they had certain content to "binge" on a TV series I might have missed in the past five years - not having TV service, but I really don't miss those things.

About the only time I'd be so tempted, is if I get hit with a multi-day disability or illness which didn't permit me to sleep, which fortunately, simply never happens to me. We aren't subject to being snowbound for days at a time. jjeffory is correct, that there is plenty to do.

I have tested the facility many times, and it works just fine on our 2M service - no stalling/stuttering/pixelating, and no perceivable loss of picture quality.