dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-24 08:32:14: For years now Chinese hardware vendor has been used as a political bogeyman, numerous politicians claiming repeatedly that the vendor is little more than a spy for the Chinese government. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

kapil
The Kapil
join:2000-04-26
Chicago, IL

1 edit

kapil

Moar?

How much more does Snowden have left to leak? Good grief. He's like one of those cracked.com articles where a top-25 list takes 50 pages worth of clicks.

The quote from the huawei exec is spot on though....we have become what we feared. When your actions can be easily confused with those of an oppressive communist country, it's time to do some soul searching.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

1 recommendation

BonezX

Premium Member

lots if it's plain text, it compresses quite well.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to kapil

to kapil
He said recently he has a lot more.
They can't pressure the company to give back door access so it's banned.
These NSA people are information junkies, just cant get enough.
It's like an obsession they are getting paid for.
They need an intervention.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

But not on us...

said by Karl Bode:

According to the New York Times, the NSA not only spied on Huawei, they worked tirelessly to exploit Huawei products so they could use them to spy on others:

/sarcasm on

But not on US citizens. They'd never do that!

/sarcasm off

Oh, wait...

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

1 recommendation

mixdup

eh

Isn't this exactly what the NSA is charged to do? I mean, if they're not spying on foreigners, then what's the (nominal) point?

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap

Premium Member

Runs to trading service...

... sells all US/UK/Israel network tech stock, invests in Huawei.

OldCableGuy2
@communications.net

OldCableGuy2

Anon

Irresponsible Journalism

This is highly irresponsible. We pay for the NSA to spy on our enemies and that includes China. I would, frankly, be concerned if the NSA wasn't doing things like this. Plastering this in the newspaper is just wrong.

I liked Snowden when he was talking about things happening against US citizens, but this has gone too far now.

GoNSA
@google.com

GoNSA to StuartMW

Anon

to StuartMW

Re: But not on us...

Big difference. NSA spying for US. Huawei spying for China.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo to kapil

to kapil

Re: Moar?

Its a strategy to keep this issue in the spotlight. If it loses its spotlight, especially in national media, he has lost. Many national news channels no longer run anything about him.

PlusOne
@google.com

PlusOne to OldCableGuy2

Anon

to OldCableGuy2

Re: Irresponsible Journalism

said by OldCableGuy2 :

This is highly irresponsible. We pay for the NSA to spy on our enemies and that includes China. I would, frankly, be concerned if the NSA wasn't doing things like this. Plastering this in the newspaper is just wrong.

I liked Snowden when he was talking about things happening against US citizens, but this has gone too far now.

+1
Big difference. NSA spying for US. Huawei spying for China.

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored
join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

Alakar to OldCableGuy2

to OldCableGuy2
I agree. Blowing the whistle on domestic spying is one thing, compromising foreign intelligence gathering is another.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 edit

jap to OldCableGuy2

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy2
said by OldCableGuy2 :

We pay for the NSA to spy on our enemies and that includes China. I would, frankly, be concerned if the NSA wasn't doing things like this.

China is our enemy? Please. We use them as a primary lender

NSA was/is after Huawei equipment weaknesses because they're a major supplier. If Huawei was Mexican, Norwegian or Martian the NSA would do same. Only thing about Huawei being based in China is the distraction value of riling-up the Western peonage with Commie Pinko boogie man rhetoric.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Did you not get the memo? EVERY single country outside the US is a potential threat. Do you think Putin's old school grab of Crimea for gas or China pissing off Japan is all well and good.

Snowden is a douche, but he exposed weaknesses in data access, that the US needs to address, so it will make us stronger in the future.

If you think the Chinese, Germans, etc aren't doing the same you must live in Colorado.

The world is a delicate balance, and if the NSA isn't spying on everything, they are not doing their jobs.

Until we eliminate borders, the NSA are my guys, 100%.

If I had a dollar and had a choice if it went to my favorite spy agency or some guy in a bread line, I'd drop a dime on the guy in the bread line, and 90 cents to my spy
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42 to OldCableGuy2

to OldCableGuy2
said by OldCableGuy2 :

I'm torn about this. On the one hand, I agree with you -- this is what the NSA was chartered to do. But, I think they may have crossed the line by spying on a private business, instead of a potential state enemy.

Now, I understand: this is an equipment supplier to many potential state enemies around the world, and finding a way to leverage flaws (or even insert them) in that equipment makes their task much easier.

But, does the end justify the means? What if the equipment supplier was Cisco, instead of Huawei? All of the same justifications apply, except for the attempt to tie them to the Chinese military. Would that still be acceptable?
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Does this latest release show that Huawei is spying?

So the NSA spied on Huawei communications, what did they find? Anything to support the claims about the Chinese government?

Obviously Huawei gear was insecure enough that the NSA could compromise them, but that's probably true of everything at the moment. U.S. gear has all those CALEA backdoors, what is the most secure system right now? I will laugh if it's DD-WRT.
Expand your moderator at work

OldCableGuy2
@communications.net

OldCableGuy2 to Chubbysumo

Anon

to Chubbysumo

What did he think would happen? People lose interest. He should have released the most damaging stuff up front, instead of waiting to the end. At this point 99% of non tech people are like "ugg that Asperger's guy again"
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

Skippy25 to elefante72

to elefante72

If by douche you mean an American hero for the US citizens and the US Constitution, I would certainly agree.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to OldCableGuy2

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy2

That is the silliest thing I have heard in a while. Capitalism isn't a political system, it is an economic system (more of a religion here in the US). There is nothing that requires or even implies different economic models to be 'enemies' of each other.
CXM_Splicer

CXM_Splicer to PlusOne

Premium Member

to PlusOne
How is that different? Both are syping on US citizens. I would expect that from China, not from the NSA.
CXM_Splicer

CXM_Splicer to axus

Premium Member

to axus

Re: Does this latest release show that Huawei is spying?

I would bet that the NSA was reverse engineering Huawei equipment to look for exploits and they found a back door already in the firmware.

OldCableGuy2
@communications.net

OldCableGuy2 to axus

Anon

to axus
It's pretty obvious they found something, otherwise they wouldn't have gone in front of congress and said to drop Huawei equipment. Now, if that goes to Mao or if that goes to the Ruskies, that's the real question.

Remember, Commies share...

Probitas
@teksavvy.com

Probitas to CXM_Splicer

Anon

to CXM_Splicer

Unless your government is practically owned by the corporations, then every country in the world becomes a de facto enemy viewed economically. When your business is worldwide, everyone who is not you is 'the enemy'.

tmh
@comcastbusiness.net

tmh

Anon

Huawei routers ARE chock full of backdoors

It's just the NSA's, not the Chinese. Either way, don't use them.

wowpig
@charter.com

wowpig to kapil

Anon

to kapil

Well the thing is he leaked one time, he gave it to news organizations and such and they are the ones stagnating the releases.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer

The US practices "corporatism" which is a mix of political and economic practices.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to Probitas

Premium Member

to Probitas
By that logic all US corporations are also economic enemies of their customers, the government, and each other. Kind of waters down the meaning of 'enemies', don't you think?

Somehow, I don't think that was the definition OldCableGuy was aiming for. In the political arena, China is not our enemy.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to OldCableGuy2

to OldCableGuy2

Re: Does this latest release show that Huawei is spying?

Well Russia certainly isn't Communist anymore, more of a Putinocracy at the moment. I'm not sure of the current relations between the two countries, besides Russia selling oil and China buying.

Russia set a very bad precedent for themselves, because there are a lot of Chinese people on the east coast of Russia. Once the Chinese have the decisive advantage they can go protect all those oppressed Chinese people.
page: 1 · 2 · next