dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-26 18:45:24: Nearly a decade ago you might recall how we discussed Verizon's effort to nab huge tax breaks and other subsidies from several states for agreeing to deploy broadband to the entire state. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
63475675 (banned)
join:2014-01-06

63475675 (banned)

Criminal!

There is no other term for their failure to meet contractural agreements.

.....oh and FRAUDULENT should be added.

Why aren't criminal charges being filed against these companies?
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

3 recommendations

b10010011

Make them build it or return the money

They should have to one or the other.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

$13 billion

Lets see...
13 billion dollars divided by each cell tower cost = A cell tower for every square mile for the State.

Find the people who wrote the contract and those that wiggled out of the contract and it's life in prison time, for grand-embezzlement.
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0 to b10010011

to b10010011

Re: Make them build it or return the money

said by b10010011:

this should go to every company that gets money or breaks. build or pay back with fines and interest. now i dont think the gov should build a network but if companies are giving money and the people end up with nothing in return they should take it back. then find someone willing to do the real work.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4

Hold them to their word

They should have to build out their network or pay back the subsidies they got. Although if I could get LTE speeds with reasonable caps, I'd be willing to compromise there.

LTE speeds are fast enough for broadband, but the caps are still unreasonable. Their current wireless broadband service, HomeFusion, is $60,$90,$120 for 10GB, 20GB, 30 GB respectively. Those caps probably need to go up at least 5x before I'd say they're really competitive with DSL.

oops
@comcast.net

oops

Anon

1996 telecom act

Any agreement with a regulated company is subject to change by the regulators, agreements a telco made in 1992 & 1993 were materially changed by congress with the 1996 telco act. Line sharing of new fiber builds was not excluded as it was in the 1993 agreements. Telco's weren't going to build a fiber network and allow clecs to use at wholesale rates. The FCC in October of 2004 removed line sharing for new builds and now we have FIOS and U-VERSE.
tlp95129
join:2007-07-30
San Jose, CA

tlp95129 to b10010011

to b10010011

said by b10010011:

Chris Christie should jump right on this. Otherwise, he's just another hypocrite.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

Perhaps

They should just hold their breath. It will be more effective to wait that way.

w0g
o.O
join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

w0g

oh god..

Millions upon millions of times increase in radiation emissions.. Because companies think it's cheaper to do that than deploy fiber optics to peoples homes. Great.

Guess residents will enjoy a dose of brain injury, molecular damage, and cancer with their high wireless pings and extremely low wireless broadband caps.

I totally support limiting wireless deployment, and deploying fiber to the homes instead.

Here's a nice video to support the cause:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· xN5DHFvU

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

4 recommendations

tshirt to tlp95129

Premium Member

to tlp95129

said by tlp95129:

Chris Christie should jump...

That sounds scary.
said by tlp95129:

he's just another hypocrite.

you have doubts?

clickie
@unsi.net

clickie to w0g

Anon

to w0g

Re: oh god..

Quick! Someone needs to extinguish that huge electromagnetic generator in the sky -- the sun!

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to humanfilth

Premium Member

to humanfilth

Re: $13 billion

said by humanfilth:

...for grand-embezzlement.

It might be fraud, it would not be embezzlement, neither grand, queen, jumbo or even super colossal.
shmerl
join:2013-10-21

shmerl

It never mentioned fiber?

Right back at them - it never mentioned caps either. Or did it?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to mgamer20o0

to mgamer20o0

I would strongly disagree.

»www.fool.com/investing/g ··· and.aspx

Though this is a stock ad for the most part, the story is 100% accurate and if they left the last couple paragraphs off you would have no idea it was pushing opinion on stocks.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to clickie

to clickie

Thank God for an atmosphere that protects us from a great part of that huh?
slckusr
Premium Member
Greenville, SC

slckusr to clickie

Premium Member

to clickie
We probably shouldnt mention the huge electromagnetic field surrounding the plant either.
Skippy25
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to oops

to oops

Re: 1996 telecom act

Now we have some FIOS and U-Verse for all practical purposes is copper based over a vast majority of it's foot print (last mile that matters) and thus worthless anyway.

w0g
o.O
Springfield, OR

1 edit

w0g to slckusr

to slckusr

said by slckusr:

We probably shouldnt mention the huge electromagnetic field surrounding the plant either.

The video mentions the electromagnetic field of earth. It's called Schumann resonance and the earths field of 7.83Hz is used by all life, and we're tuned into it. The problem, if you watched the video, is the microwave and 4G towers are overriding the Schumann resonance, making people and animals die off and get sick. In fact, man-made radiation has increased by millions of times in the last few decades, and has been steadily going up over the course of the last 100 years, resulting in increased illnesses, and species going extinct, and other issues that have driven the world to illness.

If you remove the Schumann resonance from human life, we get extremely sick, and when it's reintroduced people get better and recover. The microwave systems are also causing our brains, cells, and DNA to malfunction, preventing healing from cancer and other illnesses. Watch the well produced video I provided before which covers this.

BTW: Yes, Sun is full of harmful EMF/radiation. If our earth didn't shield us from it, we'd never survive. Now man-made EMF is just as bad as the Suns, and it's basically killing us.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sc ··· sonances

atcotr
@wideopenwest.com

atcotr

Anon

Wait a second, you're not kidding. This is awkward. Have you ever taken a physics class? If EMF is so dangerous, why haven't cops gotten hip tumors from their 5W VHF radios?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

the ripoff plan and car sales pitch..

give us billions in freebies and let us make untold BILLIONS more by price gouging on a wireless monopoly at many dollars per metered gigabyte of data..

although, back then nobody conceived how evil these corporations would be to the consumer and governments who now know they screwed EVERYBODY, including the taxpayers out of billions of false promises.

maybe they can reward a cable company with more billions for more fake promises... Comcast also has a bridge to nowhere to sell you...
slckusr
Premium Member
Greenville, SC

slckusr to w0g

Premium Member

to w0g

For what its worth I do think all the extra radio signals and what not affect us, our bodies are composed mainly of water and water is an excellent conductor. Im not going to alter my lifestyle to avoid it (its pretty hard unless i build faraday cage around my house). I do not however think your crazy, Its just something I cant really control (much like inhaling all the car exhaust). I did have a few wireless routers and a femtocell in my old place, and i had tons of plants growing in the house everywhere with no apparent ill effect. SO while i do think it has some effect on us (we are a big electrical conductor afterall) i think sometimes the fears are exaggerated.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to atcotr

Premium Member

to atcotr
said by atcotr :

If EMF is so dangerous, why haven't cops gotten hip tumors from their 5W VHF radios?

Actually, police forces all over the country are getting rid of their hand-held radar guns due to the operators developing higher than normal rates of lymphatic and testicular cancers. This is the same non-ionizing radiation people have been saying is completely harmless.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to w0g

Premium Member

to w0g
said by w0g:

resulting in increased illnesses, and species going extinct, and other issues that have driven the world to illness.

Yet life expectancy continues to increase?
openbox9

openbox9 to 63475675

Premium Member

to 63475675

Re: Criminal!

And the regulators that made the deals and then walked away and neglected it?
openbox9

openbox9 to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

thus worthless anyway.

Worthless? I doubt anyone enjoying VDSL over copper considers it worthless.
63475675 (banned)
join:2014-01-06

63475675 (banned) to oops

to oops
Except these big companies Verizon and AT&T took hundreds of millions or billions in taxpayer monies and should be ORDERED to give it back since they did not live up to the agreements they originally agreed to. That is my main point,
the fact that these companies have NOT RETURNED THE TAX PAYER'S FUNDS IS THEFT BY DECEPTION PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

63475675 (banned) to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: the ripoff plan and car sales pitch..

Brutally honest post tmc8080, and yet these corporate
pirates have not returned one dime.
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

Pennsylvania all over again

This is essentially the same crap that never saw the light of day for Pennsylvania.
quote:
A 1994 deal between the state of Pennsylvania and Verizon, a long-standing sore spot for critics of the telco, has apparently ended not with a bang, but with a whimper. Critics charge that Bell Atlantic made billions off of the deal, while offering services they knew would never see the light of day.
Please refer back to this article for more info: »Picture Perfect Deal

45/45Mbps symmetrical? hasn't completely happened even in FiOS territory.

However, what I think is the majorly failed issue is that FiOS never penetrated the rural areas of Pennsylvania...
quote:
"I don't care if they're in Altoona or Philadelphia, we're prepared to offer it," he suggested.
Complete and utter BS... I can tell you that between Pittsburgh and Carlisle/Harrisburg, there's essentially no FiOS offerings even where Verizon is the service ILEC.

This is one of the very few things that completely erked me about the BA=>VZ transition.
Skippy25
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to openbox9

to openbox9

As a user of uVerse I can say it is worthless considering the competition which is why I have an April 1st install date for cable.

w0g
o.O
Springfield, OR

w0g to openbox9

to openbox9

said by openbox9:

said by w0g:

resulting in increased illnesses, and species going extinct, and other issues that have driven the world to illness.

Yet life expectancy continues to increase?

More people taking care of themselves and not going to war or getting killed man. And life continues to decrease in all other species, especially ones sensitive to EMF.

Also we don't have life expectancy numbers for hundreds of years ago for perfectly cared for humans to compare it to. Before technology and man-made hazards became a reality.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next