dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-03-27 08:38:47: Aereo CEO Chet Kanojia this week told Bloomberg News in an interview that the company has no back up plan if they lose their battle against broadcasters before the Supreme Court next month. ..

Strange
@rr.com

-2 recommendations

Strange

Anon

Shouldnt be the end

Pay carriage fees like everyone else, and you might still have a product.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

8 recommendations

nothing00

said by Strange :

Now pay carriage fees, pay the residential ISP, and...

All for something that doesn't infringe.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to Strange

to Strange
Looks like the ship is sinking.
DnEtDe6c
join:2007-02-02
Athens, GA

DnEtDe6c to Strange

to Strange
Yep, just as simple and straightforward as you made it out to be. Because, you know, the cases that make it to the Supreme Court are always the cut and dried ones, right?

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to Strange

to Strange
Here's a set of rabbit ears. Now pay carriage fees like everyone else.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Strange

to Strange
Probably not. Then their product wouldn't be any cheaper than a cableco. There wouldn't be much difference. They would lose their competitive edge.

Carriage fee's are spiraling out of control with cableco's (hence why cable bills keep shooting for the moon). Not only that but they negotiate bundling with cableco's, so on top of paying carriage, you have to bundle the popular channels with other channels the content owner has.

Aereo loses this case and that's it. It's the same reason set top iptv boxes haven't taken off. IE Google TV. Once those companies get into the business of negotiating carriage it all falls apart.

I would hope Aereo wins (even though it's not something offered where I live. From what I gather Aereo is more like renting an antenna than it is buying the channels. Seems like a valid arugment to me.
zefie
join:2007-07-18
Hudson, NY

zefie

More..

This comment is just making the networks throw more money at their lawyers.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to zod5000

to zod5000

Re: Shouldnt be the end

The only "edge" would be support of end-user devices tablets, Roku, ATV, etc AND the fact that they use a cloud DVR. So you could still get buy without having cable and paying $10 per month per box, and you could get it remotely. So they would have to double down on software to have a chance, and when I tried it early on they had lots of work to do...

Cost would probably double, but would still be cheaper than a cable solution. They also could provide a la carte or move to an on-demand model (rent). There are many possibilities, but that would impact their retrans fees.

They could also have an on-prem box with an antenna, and hook up to their stuff (simple.tv) ish.

Retrans fees are bullshit to being with...
elefante72

4 recommendations

elefante72 to nothing00

to nothing00
Retrans fees and the operator:

1. I get paid by commercials (Check)
2. I get free spectrum worth billions but have to transmit minimally for free. This can be quality but ATSC screwed the goat on multi-path. So maybe 5% can get it, and you need cumbersome equipment (check)
3. I create some made-up law through lobbying to create a monopoly and lock out competing regional players (check)
4. I then charge the last-mile service provider a fee which I make up because of (3) for providing MY product in a quality fashion to millions (check), which can otherwise be delivered for free.

I ask you folks name a situation outside of this where the PROVIDER charges a supplier MORE money than the competition for delivering their product to reach millions at quality? My point is the operators are delivering their product which can be free so they make more money (ads), then they turn around a charge the supplier ADDITIONAL MONEY for actually providing that service, which they would be out of business otherwise or making much less profit.

If that isn't backwards fu**ed up, I don't know what is. That essentially has no economic model in a capitalist market, other than through some legislative stoke of the pen defying all economic realities. And we have the government to thank for that...

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to zefie

to zefie

Re: More..

said by zefie:

This comment is just making the networks throw more money at their lawyers.

Let 'em. I doubt SCOTUS is much impressed by the size of a legal team.

If the money-grubbing networks manage to kill Aereo I guess you'll see a bunch of Roku boxes for sale, ours being one of them, and I guess we just won't watch TV when it's unwatchable OTA.

That's okay by me. (Thinking...) I've watched a Grand Total of... heh... really...? (thinks again...) Well, it turns out that, because of re-runs, I've watched zero local/network television so far this week, except for the entertainment that passes as "news."

Wouldn't it be really funny, tho, if this backfired on them? It doesn't happen often, and I doubt it will in this case, but sometimes Court reverses itself.

Jim
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

Customer are the problem

The stations would not get to play their charging for a free service if customers did not leave in droves when a cable company drops a station or drop a channel. People are still complaining about AT&T Uverse dropping Hallmark. It has been well over a year.
I would have already cut the cord if I was not 100 miles away from any major city. Antenna will not work. Sports have taken over the free channels and keep the price of going up to pay for ESPN channels. I don't get into sports so most of the time the networks are showing reruns if a big game is on another network.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: Shouldnt be the end

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. There will be MORE drama if Aereo wins. Comcast is probably already manufacturing 20million of these silly antennas to install in their offices. Then the party begins and the networks will start the yankin'
ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Strange

to Strange
quote:
That makes total sense, if they lose in the courts, make the networks an offer for carriage. Saying "no plan B" is political BS propaganda believing its leverage of some kind. Mmkay Chet.
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x to Strange

to Strange
Carriage fees? Really? What part of 'they aren't licensing the product' don't you understand? That's why Aereo exists. If i could pay for locals I would. Aereo was the first (and is the only) company that offers this. Further more, the presumption of guilt that you imply...is ludicrous.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Did you read the headline, then that guys title, THEN his statement? To me, hes saying IF they LOSE, IT SHOULDNT BE THE END, They should try to negotiate with the networks. Not Aereo packing their bags and going back to delivering pizza.
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x

And did you hear what I'm saying? probably not. If they lose, we need to regulate the HELL out of this industry...and I'm willing to dump a ton of money into making it happen...
spepper
join:2003-11-09
USA

spepper

I still think

I still think that the service that Aereo provides, does not fall in to the legal definition of "use or retransmission" of the TV network broadcasts-- since technically, ALL that Aereo provides to the subscriber is a "remote antenna" service. Aereo does NOT "rebroadcast" a darn thing-- it is simply accessing what is already being broadcast, free & live, OTA-- like dipping a single stick into a stream-- then charging customers to access each one's "stick"-- NOT "rebroadcasting"! Oh yeah, and about that OTA transmission-- that's a federal requirement of all TV station license holders....

ybgrsfd
join:2013-08-21
united state

ybgrsfd

The Feds (happened under Bush, I'm not just Obama bashing here..) made the Aereo model necessary with that stupid digital conversion. No one more than 15 miles from a city center can reliably pick up anything with rabbit ears.

DrDeke
join:2004-05-18
Ypsilanti, MI
Nokia BGW320-505
Cisco Aironet 3800 AP

DrDeke

As much of a fan of digital technology as I am, I have to agree that the US digital TV transition was completely botched for exactly the reason you describe: Reception (or lack thereof).

I'm not sure whether that problem could have been solved with better technology, or whether broadcasters should have been allowed/required to transmit more power than before the transition, but something certainly should have been done.
Randamin
join:2010-11-29
Laredo, TX

Randamin

Aereo in south Texas

The closest area where Aereo has offers service is in San Antonio and can receive a few of its affiliates on cable but one channel that I receive on cable, KLRN, is only in SD. Since this is a native HD channel the letter boxing process causes some of the image to be cut off. Now on the mobile site where it asked for the credit card information there was no option to list an address? Does this mean that they somehow pull the address information knowing everything else? If Aereo can do this can other merchants do this too?

Location is not really a problem since with at&t DSL my location appears as in the intended market so that isn't a problem.