dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-01 08:47:16: Cable One is one of hundreds of smaller cable operators who removed more than a dozen Viacom-owned channels like Comedy Central and MTV after Viacom and the cable operators couldn't come to terms on new retransmission fee rates. ..

prev · 1 · 2
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Re: It's time to stand up to the bully.

I think it would be great if all the MSOs and DSS providers formed a trade group and one day decided to bid together. Giving the content companies a choice be seen by everyone for a logical price or be seen by nobody.

Sadly vertical integration makes this impossible.

But it would have to be retrans industry wide because as long as one provider in impacted regions folds standing up will fail due to customers just jumping ship.
Kearnstd

Kearnstd

Premium Member

wonder if they will block streaming

Just like CBS did to TWC customers, They blocked the TWC IP blocks from their legal ad supported portals for each channel.

If Viacom does this to these cable providers I bet in a few weeks we see Viacom crying about an increase in Piracy.
jimc115
join:2007-07-21
Surprise, AZ

jimc115 to davidc502

to davidc502

Re: Who will notice?

Sounds like a pretty generic message.....I think I'd tend to believe the cable company over this load of.....garbage.
jimc115

jimc115 to battleop

to battleop

I used to like the Weather Channel before NBC turned it into the reality channel.
desarollo
join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

desarollo to rradina

to rradina

Re: No middle man..

A few people in very rural areas did get their big 3 networks this way, but because terrestrial broadcasting pretty much covered huge swaths of population, it was very rare. It wasn't until cable TV emerged and HBO and other premium channels were in the clear that the TVRO business took off.

I wish the ISPs luck in trying to package up internet service in such a manner. Cat is outta the bag.
catnapped
join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

catnapped to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

Re: wonder if they will block streaming

said by Kearnstd:

If Viacom does this to these cable providers I bet in a few weeks we see Viacom crying about an increase in Piracy.

"YOU DAMN CROOKS AREN'T SEEING ALL OUR COMMERCIALS!!!!"
dudeman456
join:2005-04-29
New York, NY

dudeman456 to jap

to jap

Re: Makes me wonder if TDS & TCR will look for a way out

Where ever TDS goes, TCR, Jon Stewart, is the executive producer for both shows. They will get paid the same no matter the ratings. They are both slaves at the moment to Viacom. Colbert had booked Daft Punk for his show, and Viacom unbooked them at the last minute(staff had to scramble) because they were afraid people who wanted to see Daft Punk would not watch them on the MTV Movie Awards.
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0

not effected.

since i have verizon i am not effected but most of those stations i already cut from my list so i dont have to see them. only thing i would might miss is spike.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

and if comcast wants to take over TWC they need to give up NBC and make it so that all of there CSN channels are on other systems in market.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to desarollo

to desarollo

Re: No middle man..

When you say "very rural areas did get their big 3 network this way". Are you talking about television stations or consumers? I was talking about television stations, not consumers. For a long time, I thought television stations have been using satellite down links for network feeds which were then broadcast to consumers over the classic VHF LOW analog television spectrum. (I think channels 2 - 6)?

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to dudeman456

Premium Member

to dudeman456

Re: Makes me wonder if TDS & TCR will look for a way out

said by dudeman456:

They are both slaves at the moment to Viacom.

I'm sure it would be monstrously expensive to break contract but it's not like we know the terms nor, in my case, when the shows are up for renewal. I'm guessing there are provisions that Viacom must not do harm by ruining distribution. Which is not to say I think Viacom currently is but...
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to jdofaz

to jdofaz

Re: Retrans?

said by jdofaz:

I thought Retrans generally referred to local TV stations and not cable networks?

YES, that's true. sometimes reporters get the facts messed up..
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to caseywor

to caseywor

Re: Comedy Central would be the only one I would really miss

Yeah, Daily Show and Colbert are the big draws, South Park still hangs on, but it's like the Simpsons these days where it's just more of the same since they aren't able to hammer out a solid season of great episodes, you pretty much know how everything is going to go and thus you get only a handful of good EPs a season.

This is why the CC programming day is filled with constant reruns of DS/CR blocks.

They've never been able to recapture the ratings gold they had with the Chappelle Show.
intok

intok (banned) to Corehhi

to Corehhi

Re: CMT

MTV = the Rob Dyrdek and poor life choices network. Looking at a TV guide shows that both MTV and MTV2 are both completely dominated by a bunch of shows made by one pro skateboarder who is apparently smarter then a legion of TV execs.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

I give Rob a thumbs up for making something of himself but his shows I have watched don't do anything for me. I do like Ridiculous but that's only a more adult version of a long running show. Maybe adult isn't the right word there.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

any news on this issue?

So it's been a few days, and I haven't seen anything new about this issue. I'm in Comcrap territory so it doesn't affect me. I am just interested to see what's been going on with this issue. I haven't seen anything about it on any mainstream 'news/speculation' outlets, and even Colbert and Stewart haven't mentioned it (gee, wonder why).
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to Corehhi

to Corehhi

Re: CMT

True enough, though it'll be interesting if his Street League take off to the point it can supplant ESPN's X-Games.
icu8124me
join:2008-05-16
Jacksonville, AL

icu8124me

Re: Who will notice?

Well, yes like others have already stated mine here in middle Alabama is also in it's 2nd act of the Magicians Disappearance Show! I have to say that over the past several years I've noticed from time to time those types of notices come up only to go down to the wire & come yo some agreement. I did think this time was different b/c over the last couple of years I've took it upon myself as all should & looked at diff Network ratings, whether it be TV shows, Movies the had shown, but mainly the Late Night stuff only b/c when MSM talks about the The Daily Show/The Colbert Report they speak as if their baffled & confused at how their ratings are what they are? Meaning, considerably higher than theirs could possibly get. I myself am sadden to an extent only b/c of the very few channels I can stomach to even give more than a 5min glimpse to, just happens 2B those 2 very shows. They also happen 2B the only ones I recommend others if they turn the Idiot Tube on to watch b/c in just 1 day of 1 of their shows you'd actually get more news from a better perspective than an entire week or two from all MSM combined & showing you in some respects just how the MSM programs & distracts their viewers as with the constant of The Daily Show continuously beating up CNN, the absolute epitome of "Tuning in to destroy your mind" only to be very closely followed on there heals by FOX, who normally holds the Top Spot but CNN pulls ahead b/c it's unwillingness despite all whom try to tell them to back off, sustain Long Drawn out Mind Bombing campaigns to suck the viewers soul from their bodies!! (example is their coverage of the recent missing plane) That said, with more & more clearing the cobwebs from their eyes to this (as the ratings continuously show their demise) more tune into The Daily Show/The Colbert Report & for this reason, whenever MSM speaks of them with that ScoobyDoo look, is the Bottom Line reason they'll never "Get It" as there too oblivious 2 see there but only a tool for Distraction 4 Gov & Corporate interest & NOT 4 consumption by the people! Cable One is at least here in Ala & surrounding states, one of the larger providers & I suspect that Viacom will notice ratings going in the negative direction pretty soon! I don't think it'll last 1 business Qtr for that reason. Sorry so long, I didn't have any daily reruns of diff Comedy Central Shows to distract me & focused on the subject! To all a great day..
icu8124me

icu8124me to catnapped

to catnapped

Re: wonder if they will block streaming

Totally agree with the piracy statement as I can only respond for I will fall into that category to catch up on the DS & CR & some random Late Night Comedy Specials! With the soon 2B crying of Piracy, I feel it will surely be overshadowed by the going south of their ratings b/c of the Large Loss of overall viewers to the entire Viacom spectrum! Time will tell!
prev · 1 · 2