dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-01 18:38:02: Responding to a new spike in cell tower technician deaths, OSHA sent a letter to the wireless industry back in February criticizing carriers for insufficient training and safety standards. ..

biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

1 recommendation

biochemistry

Premium Member

So far?

19 so far? Are they expecting more deaths in 2013?

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy

I think Karl forgot that it's 2014... or he just came up with a really bad April Fools joke.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Or there is not data yet for the later half of 2013.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

just make them independent contractors and then no more OSHA or workers comp

just make them independent contractors and then no more OSHA or workers comp to deal with.

big cell CEO

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

Hey...

Like everyone else out there says, just say "It was a contractor" and it makes everything all just fine. Some how, some way...
vpsj
join:2012-09-10
Plainville, CT

vpsj to biochemistry

to biochemistry

Re: So far?

So far for 2014 there have been seven deaths.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

No money left for climber

The money the carriers pay for tower work is good but there is nothing left for the crews at the towers doing the actual work after all the people sitting at desks get their cut.
The work tends to be boom and bust. When they fund a project the want it done yesterday and every major city. The crews have to travel a lot. Then there is no work until the next big project.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Parachutes?

I don't know anything about base jumping or parachuting, but are these towers high enough for a parachute to be helpful?

Kibbles
Premium Member
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

Kibbles

Premium Member

I don't think a parachute would work..from what I have read the falls are a few hundred feet...they would have to have a tether attached to the tower to "pull" the chute.
If they were tethered to the tower..they more than likely would have not fallen off.

I read about one death..the guy was repelling down a 200 foot tower and his rope got stuck at 140 feet.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap

Premium Member

Great OnlineEngineers.org video on tower maintenance & climbing

Fantastic footage made by a pair of working climbers. Addresses questions of how climbing is done & why, OSHA rules, tower heights, etc..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· h2AjJaMw
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Freaks me out even watching that. Thanks for sharing. No way I'd be cut out for that.

Hope that there are meaningful and positive changes. No reason for so many deaths.

justinchad
@rr.com

justinchad to jap

Anon

to jap
That looks so awesome and looks like so much fun smiles!!!

chpalmer
join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA

chpalmer

Cell Tower Deaths

Lots of information on this news video story...

»video.pbs.org/video/2237911445