dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-02 08:55:45: For months T-Mobile CEO John Legere has stated that the company's LTE network upgrades would soon have it beating LTE speed leader AT&T in network speed tests, courtesy of the move to 2x10MHz channels. ..

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Impressive!

Go T-Mobile!

When its finally able to deploy its 700 MHz spectrum, T-Mobile's coverage will increase dramatically. It's expensive to deploy the tower density needed with high frequency spectrum. The future for T-Mobile is bright!

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

Majestik

Premium Member

Re: Impressive!

Then you should be owning the stock. Don't have to always be a consumer. The company may pay dividends one day.
AT&T has done extremely well for me and part of the dividends will be paying all of my utility bills with tax free money at retirement.
I don't watch TV and I might have cut the cord years ago but I did invest that money into AT&T and Comcast.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight

Seems like a sound business decision. Well done.
grabacon9
join:2013-08-21
Newark, OH

grabacon9

A company trying to please customers? Who would of thought of that? A Stock Market getting bigger because of some company pleasing a customer? Lol.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
I too am looking forward to T-mobile deploying it's 700Mhz spectrum.
It will make my great service even better

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
said by IPPlanMan:

Go T-Mobile!

When its finally able to deploy its 700 MHz spectrum, T-Mobile's coverage will increase dramatically. It's expensive to deploy the tower density needed with high frequency spectrum. The future for T-Mobile is bright!

The 700 MHz spectrum that they acquired only covers portions of the country. The spectrum in question mainly covers around major cities where T Mobile is already pretty good, so this doesn't do all that much for coverage in rural areas where they need it most.

snarf
@telepacific.net

snarf

Anon

Looks like california will be happy with tmobile

w0g
o.O
join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

w0g

after seeing that map..... I think.. T-Mobile's purchase is shit. It does not cover any part of the country that isn't in the mega cities of the most concentrated parts of the country.

I thus recommend people to abandon T-Mobile unless they live in one of those areas. because it will be some time before others see improvements. meaning the current speed you see, is what you get.

Sprint is where I see the future thanks to the 2.5GHz block of spectrum and Spark, plus the continued roll out of the 800MHz LTE network and LTE in general.

dsfdafaf
@comcastbusiness.net

dsfdafaf

Anon

Don't think 2.5 GHz will do any good in rural areas.
The 800 MHz sliver of spectrum will only provide 5x5mhz in most areas, if that. Get a couple heavy users on a particular cell, and your performance will quickly suffer. Sprint's 1900 is weak. It barely reaches 1 mile beyond the tower, on a good day.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

said by dsfdafaf :

Don't think 2.5 GHz will do any good in rural areas.
The 800 MHz sliver of spectrum will only provide 5x5mhz in most areas, if that. Get a couple heavy users on a particular cell, and your performance will quickly suffer. Sprint's 1900 is weak. It barely reaches 1 mile beyond the tower, on a good day.

Very true, however you don't need as much spectrum for rural areas. The 2.5 GHz is ideal for areas with a high population density.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN

MDA

Premium Member

Fastest in my area...

Using T-Mobile, I get 28 down and 9 up on my LG G2 in Bloomington, MN. AT&T rolled out LTE in our area last year, but a friend of mine only gets like 9 down and 5 up.

Is T-Mobile actually "caring" about their network? *gasp*

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

Good job

I think this proves more than anything that hard cap data plans of the big 2 are a unneeded rip off that does not help network speed at all.

T-Mobile really needs to stay as a player in the market and I really hope sprint who is dead last on this ranking will stay far far away from T-Mobile.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz

Re: Good job

The problem is Tmobile doesn't have as much LTE coverage than even Sprint - Tmobile doesn't work at some friends outside city, Sprint LTE does. I'm using over 10GB/month on Sprint, which would be costly on ATT/VZW. Would rather have 4Mbps unlimited than 100Mbps with a cap, though I tend to get 6-20M. What smartphone app needs more than 3Mbps - none.

SrsBsns
Oklahoma City, OK

SrsBsns

said by existenz:

The problem is Tmobile doesn't have as much LTE coverage than even Sprint - Tmobile doesn't work at some friends outside city, Sprint LTE does. I'm using over 10GB/month on Sprint, which would be costly on ATT/VZW. Would rather have 4Mbps unlimited than 100Mbps with a cap, though I tend to get 6-20M. What smartphone app needs more than 3Mbps - none.

It's true that T-Mobile doesnt have much LTE coverage outside the metro but they are upgrading all 2G towers by mid 2015. They also state 50% of the upgrade will be complete by the end of this year.

»www.theverge.com/2014/3/ ··· mid-2015

One thing to keep in mind when looking at T-mobile LTE coverage is mapping can be different from the real network experience because T-mobile also has an HSPA+ 42 network to fall back on. T-mobile's HSPA network is 2x faster than AT&T's HSPA+ 21. Ive been able to hit 20Mbit on it.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· networks
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz

Agreed with the HSPA to fall back on but that's also not very present outside cities. Sprint also continues to add at faster pace, both coverage and performance. As more Sprint users get Spark phones, the performance avgs will increase.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Sprint most like will not add rural coverage themselves but now is.part or NetAmerica for combined coverage which will start showing up plus roaming on some 700.

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss to SrsBsns

Premium Member

to SrsBsns
I would say when that 2G to 4G LTE upgrade happens that even the big two will start to feel loads of pain. Because there 2G foot print isn't all that bad and I know if it was all 4G LTE that most would like to dump AT&T/Verizon at that point.

ArkhmAsylm
Evrythng I need isn't really what I want
Premium Member
join:2006-02-22
Saint Paul, MN

ArkhmAsylm

Premium Member

Fastest...for now

Considering that their data points out that U.S. speeds overall are sharply dropping and the fact that LTE is still in its growing stages, wouldn't a 'fastest speed' crown just mean that a particular platform is merely underutilized at that particular time?

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac

Measured speeds look low

I'm on AT&T and in my area I can get upwards of 40 mbps down and 15 mbps up on LTE. On average I'd say I'd get around 18 mbps down or more.

That's significantly higher than the 9.1 mbps listed for AT&T in the chart

DeadWrong23
@sbcglobal.net

DeadWrong23

Anon

Misleading results

The results do not mean anything. How many people were on T-Mobile network during this test result?

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss

Premium Member

Re: Misleading results

said by DeadWrong23 :

The results do not mean anything. How many people were on T-Mobile network during this test result?

Sounds like some one is butt hurt about being on one of the other 3. Maybe sprint that every one was saying was going to blow all others away with speed or maybe Verizon that can do no wrong nor lose to no one on anything.

T-Mobile has 40 mill, sprint has 50 mill and the other two have 100 mill each. The fact is sprint screwed up and the other two even with limited data plans have not been able to keep speeds up.

Or are you going to tell me that 10mil more makes them go from 11 to 4 on avg or that the other two need to limit data even more.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

middle of nowhere

Yep.

VZW had LTE in the literal middle of nowhere. The only thing that sucks right now is interoperability. Nobody does LTE roaming. AT&T is supposed to allow for some of it, with some smaller carriers, but that's literally the only thing I've heard of. Kind of lame, considering "3G" roamed easily with compatible carriers (Sprint/Verizon, for example)

Honestly, I don't understand why there isn't more of a focus to make the whole system more unified. GSM, while I don't much care for its signal characteristics here (spotty places, dropped calls while sitting still with full bars, total lack of coverage in some areas.... I could go on), I do like the idea of something being more standardized.

Maybe someday it'll happen.

Until then, color me impressed with Verizon's services in massive swaths of territory where I would never have expected LTE.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020

Re: middle of nowhere

I really wanted to like T Mobile, but it's only EDGE for me. EDGE means you better be on Wifi if you want to use data. It's too slow to even load weather apps. I suppose I'll need to move to the "big city" if I want T Mobile. Or, suck it up and get VZW, who has superb 700mhz LTE here in the sticks...
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

I'm currently testing T-Mo so I can save $$ and switch from Verizon. Yes, EDGE is slow but it's not that bad.

I was able to use Waze, Google Maps, and get e-mail while on Edge. It was a little laggy but it got the job done.

With their latest announcement of getting 50% of the 2G areas to 4G (be it HSPA+ or LTE_ I think better days are ahead.

delusion ftl
@comcast.net

delusion ftl to scott2020

Anon

to scott2020
Where in mo are you located?

SrsBsns
Oklahoma City, OK

1 recommendation

SrsBsns to amungus

to amungus
said by amungus:

Yep.

VZW had LTE in the literal middle of nowhere. The only thing that sucks right now is interoperability. Nobody does LTE roaming. AT&T is supposed to allow for some of it, with some smaller carriers, but that's literally the only thing I've heard of. Kind of lame, considering "3G" roamed easily with compatible carriers (Sprint/Verizon, for example)

Honestly, I don't understand why there isn't more of a focus to make the whole system more unified. GSM, while I don't much care for its signal characteristics here (spotty places, dropped calls while sitting still with full bars, total lack of coverage in some areas.... I could go on), I do like the idea of something being more standardized.

Maybe someday it'll happen.

Until then, color me impressed with Verizon's services in massive swaths of territory where I would never have expected LTE.

LTE roaming is incoming via Sprint and T-Mobile with rural carriers to bolster coverage.

»www.fiercewireless.com/s ··· 14-03-26

Sprint has had the agreements in place since last year

»www.fiercewireless.com/t ··· 13-09-27

Competition is a good thing (sorry for all the Fierce links)
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Thanks for the links - I did not know Sprint had LTE agreements with T-Mobile.

Competition is indeed a good thing!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus
LTEiRA is sort of roaming... key word sort of, since they basically built a Verizon network to Verizon's specs...
rayeger
join:2003-07-05
Pompano Beach, FL

rayeger

Switched from VZW to Tmobile

Wow, what a difference, where Tmobile has LTE service, the speed is unbelievable, but coverage wise, really REALY bad!!!! Just made a trip from Florida back to Ohio and the majority of the trip was on EDGE or less. Even when roaming on ATT in West Viriginia, which showed 4G the entire time, data speeds were .08 down, and .08 up, so Im guessing that it was somehow throttled, nice job Tmobile, if you want to throttle roaming, I can understand, but to restrict it to that low of a speed, that's nuts.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp

Metropcs/T-Mobile unthrottled unlimited

After reading good things about the new T-Mobile LTE network, I wanted to try out their unlimited unthrottled plan and put it to the test. Went with MetroPCS because of a good deal on an LTE phone; free after MIR.

Quickly found out tethering is officially blocked on $60 plan. Suprise! It's only when you try to activate the hotspot on the phone do you find out it's blocked. I kinda knew there had to be a catch and actually not even mad considering I'll be using the $40 unlimited or the Ptel $35 unlimited anyways.

If I can stay inside their coverage area and get 256k or better after throttle the low latency should prove for some what of a usable web experiance on the cheap.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Useless metric

Only testing LTE is a useless metric, since more often than not, T-Mobile's horrible network will be EDGE or GPRS while AT&T and Verizon are offering LTE. The better test would be actual speeds in a variety of locations. While T-Mobile is getting 50kbps on EDGE, AT&T and Verizon will be pumping out LTE speeds.

I don't doubt that T-Mobile's LTE is technically faster, as the rootmetrics data is pretty useless too, but that speed means jack **** when you have EDGE or GPRS in most of their coverage areas.

RFGuy_KCCO
join:2001-11-12
Niles, MI
Netgear CM2000
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AX86

1 edit

RFGuy_KCCO

Still a new network

Keep in mind that T-Mobile is still new to LTE. They can't have that many customers on that network yet. Let's all think back to when AT&T first started launching LTE - they were killing Verizon in speed tests. Why? Because AT&T's network at the time had a fairly low number of users. Once the users on LTE ramped up, speeds slowed down. This isn't rocket science, guys.

I do like that T-Mobile is deploying a large amount of bandwidth right off the bat. Those 2x10 channels will provide them lots of room for growth before speeds inevitably slow down, just like the other carriers.

I think it also needs to be pointed out again that these tests are really worthless anyway, when shown as an aggregate of customer tests taken all over the country. There are just too many variables to consider. As everyone knows, and has been pointed out in the comments here, your results may - and probably will - vary, due to myriad factors - location, time of day, device characteristics or issues, etc. The bottom line is this: the only speed tests that matter are the ones you take yourself, in the places you use your phone. This same rule applies to all mobile service - signal strength, # of dropped calls, percent of calls completed on first attempt, etc. Just because I may get terrific service from AT&T in my location, doesn't mean Joe Shmo in BFE will have the same experience. Take these test results for what they are - a very, very rough estimation of a given carrier's network quality.