spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-04 10:14:50: Back in February we noted that Google Fiber had announced they were working with thirty-four new cities in nine regions on making it easier for those locations to see fiber broadband deployed. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

onthecake

join:2003-08-08
Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Google Fiber

Really.. Its not that bad

Maybe 1-2 per large neighborhood.

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR

Oh the irony!

It's funny that Portland is now doing what it can to bring google fiber there.

It was the City of Portland that originally tried to regulate AT&T cable modem service back in 2000: AT&T Corp. v. City of Portland, 216 F.3d 871 (9th Cir. 2000).

That eventually led the FCC to deregulate cable modem service (2002). And that decision led to the later decision in which the FCC deregulated DSL service (2005).

So you can thank Portland for the two decisions that deregulated broadband and left us with the mess in which we currently find ourselves (i.e., deregulation but no competition).

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

But it's for Google...

...you have to sign over the deed to your property, your first born virgin child, and the key to the city.
After all you can trust corporations who say they "will do no evil" because corporations never lie or change direction.
nothing like offering special legislation to please one entity.
Expand your moderator at work

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to fg8578

Re: Oh the irony!

said by fg8578:

Portland hasn't been really successful in providing public network solutions
Remember MetroFI?
»betanews.com/2008/02/22/in-portl···he-dust/

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to onthecake

Re: Really.. Its not that bad

Thats not bad. With fiber, they dont need any electricity for amps or equipment, which probably make those boxes small. Think of that box as a patch panel.

Thanks for posting the picture. Do you have google fiber?

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL

4 recommendations

reply to tshirt

Re: But it's for Google...

That may be true.. But, that's just MORE reason for the municipalities to OWN the backbone, and let any ISP rent out capacity. Ever wonder why, I don't know, 35 or so countries have FASTER and CHEAPER internet than the US? Maybe because their governments OWN the infrastructure, and rent out the capacity. You do have a point though. The SOLE reason for a corporation to exist is to MAKE MONEY. However, much like the tragedy of the commons, what's good for the corporation is not good for the majority. First step, is to take away the 'personhood' rights from corporations. A corporation should exist SOLELY to collect money, pay money, and sign contracts. NO 'person' rights apart from that. As soon as you tell me how we can put a 'corporation' in prison for breaking the law, I will happily give them free speech and other rights. Until then, nada.
--
I for one, don't think old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use.

onthecake

Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to Duramax08

My neighborhood is scheduled for install sometime this summer so hopefully by then.

The area we are in is all underground utilities so really besides these boxes there isn't much else in the neighborhoods. The connection to the house comes from a small box that is flush with ground (looks like sprinkler valve box).

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR
reply to tshirt

In fairness, I agreed with Portland at the time, and still do. They wanted an "open" cable modem infrastructure. Had they succeeded, we would have retail ISP competition over the last mile. As it is, we don't.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

reply to onthecake

Thats awesome. When you do get the service, dont forget to do a review!

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fg8578

Everybody wants that, Portland just happens to have demonstrated multiple way/times, how not to get that done.
AND has generate public expense each and every time.
I only hope they are thinking VERY carefully what they are giving up and how they can/intend to deal with the conflicts the current plan will generate.
don't want them walking face first in to the windmill again.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

I wonder..

Would the city of Portland provide the exact same thing for anyone who wanted to offer service in Portland? Have they been just as helpful from the beginning to the local ILEC and Cable co or has the city pissed them off by trying to tax, regulate, and sue them into dictating what they want the Cableco, ILEC, and Clecs to do for them?

I can see that this leads to an unfar advantage to Google over competing (not just the cable and ILEC) companies.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

verta

join:2007-05-29
Tallahassee, FL
reply to onthecake

It's not bad until the darn kids start spray painting it, and it's your responsibility to repaint it weekly at your cost or face code violation fines. Just sayin. It's a trade off .

battleop

reply to karlmarx

Re: But it's for Google...

"But, that's just MORE reason for the municipalities to OWN the backbone, and let any ISP rent out capacity."

That's exactly how Muni networks should be run. The problem is that most of them have a business model that's focused on running private business out of business. Under no circumstances should your local government have a goal of running private businesses out of business.

--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to battleop

Re: I wonder..

How many legitimate businesses have approached Portland regarding the building of a citywide fiber network?
--
Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef?!

battleop

There have probably been some but unless you are willing to line the pockets either politically or monetarily you won't get anywhere.

I've sat in on a couple of meetings with city leaders (not Portland) and it's all about what you can do for them to get them re-elected. I'm sure that Portland is no different than any other city.
--

political_i

join:2013-11-12
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Charter
reply to battleop

Would it make more sense for a city owned infrastructure and then lease the lines to private providers?

Let us say there is a new development going in. Would it be better for the MSO and ILEC to lease a city line to there rather than build their own infrastructure? Also are the ILECs and MSOs required to build out on their own dime per agreements?

battleop

"Would it make more sense for a city owned infrastructure and then lease the lines to private providers?"

Absolutely.

They should be treated like roads. If you were a moving company and you went through the trouble to obtain a business license, commercial drivers license, commercial tags, and pay taxes then you can make use of city roads to move a customer's objects from point A to Z.

This should not be any different for ISPs wanting to use the network. Heck there is already a process in place for ISPs to get licensed. As long as you were a CLEC then you should be able to buy access to these networks.

If the city concentrated on delivering a reliable fiber connection to these providers you would see real innovation and competition. Remember how many providers were in the phone books in the late 90s?
--

mhathaway

@fuhsd.org

Why can't they just do the right thing

The people that have issues with these cabinets almost every time is when they are not placed on the far edge or on the property line. No one wants a cabinet in the middle of there yard. And almost everything there are complaints its because they did not place it on the edge of the property line, which most of the time is due to lazy crews.

onthecake

Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

reply to battleop

How are you going to get tax payers to approve that? IIRC the estimated cost to build out KC was close to 1.2 billion.

If voters have the option to pay that via tax increases vs having a private company front the entire cost at the expense of getting the red tape out of the way I am pretty sure I can guess which way they would lean.

onthecake

Kansas City, MO
reply to verta

How about moving to an area that doesn't have idiots running through tagging everything?

battleop

reply to onthecake

It appears they are going to pay for it one way or another. In EPB's case we didn't get a vote.
--

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2

In other news, I just got Google Fiber today!

Hooked up today in KC...

existenz

reply to Duramax08

Just got GFiber today in KC! It rocks, so does TV.

I'm trying to find a way to do review but can't find it on BBR.

Ganthet

join:2009-08-05
Kansas City, MO
reply to onthecake
I'm also in a neighborhood with underground utilities (still in the "rally" phase. I've been wondering about this. Are there any pictures around of the house connection you mention?

existenz

reply to existenz

Re: In other news, I just got Google Fiber today!

Where do I do review? Can't find it in BBR.

political_i

join:2013-11-12
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Charter
reply to battleop

I wonder if this is where municipals have had issues and not utilizing the fact that the incumbents would not have to pay for the infrastructure that may or may not be utilized and demonstrating a better ROI for incumbent providers.

The City of Bozeman I know is looking at building a ring for community institutions and from what I have heard, there is not a large level of opposition from the incumbents. The challenge I believe is the pitch.

I would be looking at this model for Portland and major metro areas to spur some serious competition.