spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-07 18:23:22: In news that might be of interest to the six of you that currently own a 4K-capable television, it appears that Netflix is now offering 4K streams of their hit series "House of Cards. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

Seiki

You can get a seiki 4k TV for much less than $1000. I think Netflix will play a part in driving adoption of 4k tvs.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
It's definitely pushing an envelope.
But likely using some of the bandwidth to stream true 1080 HD would reach and impress a lot more viewers right now.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to sonicmerlin
What will be "breathtaking" is how fast people will reach their caps.

They could always make the 1080 streams better (aka more bitrate) and call it a day.

Most streaming equipment out there and most video cards are pretty much DOA on this, so unlike the 720 to 1080 this it is rip and replace. It will be expensive and live a 3D death if caps remain low.

Also at 15 feet or so you need to be Superman to see the difference between 2K and 1080 (as 4K is REALLY 2K). Again some marketing bs. I don't say, hey I'm running 1920, I say I'm running 1080. And these jackasses decided to make it sound more impressive than it is..

If they are testing 1080 and "faux K" on the same TV the native panel resolution is 2K so it is highly dependent upon the scalar and how the h.265 is encoded, how it was remastered...The workflows are still young. These are not trivial to the end game. And I'm sure their human eyes can discern "intra-scene" gamma. That's a new elitist term to me...

It's far to early to tell, except that "faux K" is cool and will be for early adopters.

Kasoah

join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA
reply to sonicmerlin
I hope they add pc support. There are some h265 decoders I believe already.

AllessioR

@verizon.net

Netflix 4K

I have an LG 84" 4K. I am watching "House of Cards" and I am NOT impressed with the image. I have a suspicion that Verizon is clipping BW from Netflix, not giving a true representation of what 4K could look like. Very disappointing indeed.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

If you get 4k service from Netflix, you get it.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to elefante72

Re: Seiki

"What will be "breathtaking" is how fast people will reach their caps."

I think by now that horse is long dead. This has become the new dorky "FIRST!" post.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Is there a 4K standard yet?

A month or so I was reading that not everyone had agreed on a 4K standard yet. I'm getting ready to redo our home theater but I've kind of been waiting on that to get settled before I spend the money on an upgrade.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
reply to AllessioR

Re: Netflix 4K

H.265 is new. It may take some time for them to figure out the best encoding parameters.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to elefante72

It's interesting that Comcast recently reached an agreement with Comcast to improve streaming performance, then Comcast starts upgrading a lot of people to a higher speed tier, and now Netflix makes this announcement. Does anyone else smell the monetary stink of corporate collusion?
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to battleop

Re: Is there a 4K standard yet?

One pitfall, at least until recently, was that 4K would only be delivered at 30 fps. I think the newer HDMI spec resolves this.

Beyond that, it's a matter of H.264 vs. H.265 vs. VP9...oh, right. That is a bit of divergence.

vzw

@myvzw.com
reply to battleop

Truth.

said by battleop:

think by now that horse is long dead. This has become the new dorky "FIRST!" post.

MURICA

join:2013-01-03

1 recommendation

Netflix can go fuck themselves.

Not only are they bitrate starving it to hell, which will harm the general mass's perception of 4K, they are locking the streams down to TVs? Why?

My PC can play back 4K video better than any crappy TV can. Why doesn't the Windows 8 app support these streams?

tmh

@verizon.net

Meanwhile

US Netflix customers have to contend with 0.4K resolution as the peering debate rages on.

MURICA

join:2013-01-03
reply to battleop

Yes. Of course there is.

HDMI 2.0 is the new standard and it is available in new 4KTVs.
H.265 is the new video encoding standard.

All we need now is a physical media 4K standard which is due out at the end of the year. Nvidia's Maxwell GPUs will also sport HDMI 2.0 outputs.

lemonade

join:2003-12-13
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Kasoah

Not many people have 4K monitor though, considering they are still pretty expensive. Personally probably won't buy one within 2 years.

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

"What will be "breathtaking" is how fast people will reach their caps."

I think by now that horse is long dead. This has become the new dorky "FIRST!" post.

It's a valid point when one has 250-300 GB caps and 4K Netflix uses 7 GB per hour.

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to MURICA

Re: Netflix can go fuck themselves.

said by MURICA:

Not only are they bitrate starving it to hell, which will harm the general mass's perception of 4K, they are locking the streams down to TVs? Why?

My PC can play back 4K video better than any crappy TV can. Why doesn't the Windows 8 app support these streams?

Most people like to watch on TVs. This should be obvious. How many people even have 4K monitors?
Expand your moderator at work

DigitalManny

join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA

1 recommendation

I think Netflix should worry about adding movies

I think Netflix should worry about adding movies instead of worrying about a technology only 4% of households have.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to sonicmerlin

How can Netflix switch to 4k 2160p revolution when there is no way to see the higher 4k 2160p revolution. I mean No HDTV, laptop screen, or desktop display can out put that high of a revolution but up to 1080p only. 4k 2160p is totally worthless right now. Beside that Netflix can't possible offer a true 4k 2160p video quality because to see a true 4k 2160p video would choke your broadband provider to death and cause all of it's servers to crash beyond repair.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

1 recommendation

4K?...

Just give me a 720 stream without buffering, then I'll be impressed.

puppetmaster

@web-pass.com
reply to MURICA

What is a 'physical media standard'?

jonnyf

@shawcable.net

Sony & Netflix

You need a 2014 4K tv with the right decoding capabilites. At CES this year Reid Hastings of Netflix said that the best TV they tested for 4K decoding was the Sony 4K.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to Mr Guy

And many computers have HDMI and can easily output this to a TV.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to floydb1982

Oh I'd pay to see that happen

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable
reply to RockCake

Re: 4K?...

said by RockCake:

Just give me a 720 stream without buffering, then I'll be impressed.

I'm with you and I don't even have any buffering problems. I'm happy with 720 P.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to floydb1982

said by floydb1982:

... I mean No HDTV, laptop screen, or desktop display can out put that high of a revolution but up to 1080p only. 4k 2160p is totally worthless right now. ....

Well, my 15" Retina Macbook Pro Laptop does 2880 x 1800. My 27" iMac can do 2560 x 1440. For some reason, I can not view Netflix in their "Super HD" format on both of these "Unsupported" devices. Perhaps Netflix should concentrate on expanding their offerings to include already capable devices. Right now they only support:
quote:
Apple TV with 1080p
Google Chromecast
Nintendo Wii U
Roku with 1080p*
Sony PlayStation 3
Sony PlayStation 4
TiVo Premiere DVR
Windows 8 App
Blu-Ray Players, Smart TV's, Home Theaters, and Streaming Players with existing Netflix 1080p support*

My 101/35 no-caps connection should be able to support that resolution without a hiccup.

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to puppetmaster

For example: Vhs, Betamax, DVD, Bluray

SilentMan

join:2002-07-15
New York, NY
reply to MURICA

said by MURICA:

What video card do you recommend for playing back 4K video and do you also need to have an Intel core i7 processor?