spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-08 13:23:32: With a 180-page filing (pdf) and a blog post, Comcast today formally made their sales pitch to regulators regarding approval of Comcast's planned $45 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Competition in my area? None.

Let's see...
Since I live in Houston, I "SHOULD" have 32 companies working directly against each other so that I can gain satisfactory service at a low cost.

In reality, I have only one company of both POTS and cable service.
POTS: Ma Bell (officially known as Southwestern Bell Telephone and AT&T Texas)
Cable: "Wavevision" formerly known as TVMax that sucks and received 2 FCC notices as of April 2012.

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
kudos:1

And my internet would go from $15 to $70. No thanks.

biotech

@66.249.113.x

My internet cost $50 for 6 mbps down.
What's yours?

toad89

@hcs.net
reply to biotech

Re: Competition in my area? None.

Wait... you also have LTE services. Broaden your horizons!

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
reply to biotech

That chart is obviously misleading. Unless you reside in every part of a metropolitan area, it's not possible to have that many providers. There are sections of a metro that will have different incumbent providers. Franchise agreements will vary by city.

Realistically (in most cases) you have one Telco and one Cable provider that can offer internet (in some cases you have a CLEC that can use ILEC copper, but that's usually a subpar choice). Outside of that, if you're lucky, there might be an independent ISP using their own infrastructure, but that's only common in multi-dwelling environments.

Otherwise you're left with wireless carriers, and those are not exactly ideal options for primary connectivity.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

Age Old Business Model

Just before you go under - Expand and Divide the profits before the next IRS Filing.

ocjosh

join:2013-03-19
united state
reply to biotech

And my zip in Los Angeles: TWC or FIOS, no one else, not DSL or whatsoever.
The only chance we have 17 ISPs is to count VZW, ATT, SPR, TMO, boost, virgin, metropcs etc. all in.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

3 recommendations

No competition in DC...

Comcast runs DC, except for a few small pockets of RCN overbuilding. Fios? It's still under construction.... »www.verizon.com/about/community/···ion.html and probably won't be available to most of DC for years.

The whole cable franchise system is ridiculous. Cable should be treated like a gas/electric utility. You get the pipe/wire to your home and you pick any provider.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
reply to biotech

Re: ...

2/1 through Time Warner.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

5 recommendations

reply to biotech

Competition is the key. Classify ISPs as public utilities, and problem solved!

We are rapidly approaching the point where Internet access is required in order to function properly in our society. So much of our government and business is already becoming only accessible via the Internet, that it needs to be reclassified as a public utility.

Here in NY, we can choose which Electric and natural gas company we purchase from. The electricity and gas is carried by the wires and pipes originally installed by Con Edison. Somehow, I can purchase power and gas from a number of competing utility companies. I get knocks on my door from ESCO sales people offering me better electric rates all the time.

If Internet access was treated like any other utility, and one could buy access from any provider, then competition would increase exponentially overnight, and it wouldn't matter how big an ISP got, they would have to compete with a huge number of companies.

I should be able to purchase access from any ISP in the country, no matter who put the wires under the public streets here, in the same way other utilities are regulated. It would be an easy fix!

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

Papageno

join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Who knew this racket was so cheap to get into?

"...Comcast's planned $45 acquisition of Time Warner Cable."

I should put in a bid myself!

ccureau

join:2002-12-28
Slidell, LA

...Comcast's planned $45 acquisition...

Probably meant $45 million...but probably about the accurate value for TWC anyway.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
N. VA, USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

This chart is a bullshit

All it shows is all of the providers in a geography. The problem is how none of these providers aside from 1 Telco (typically Ex-Ma Bell or Ex-GTE) + 1 CATV MSO overlap at any one point, or sometimes only the Telco is available.

Overbuilding is rare, it happens, but good luck finding them.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
reply to biotech

said by biotech :

My internet cost $50 for 6 mbps down.
What's yours?

$19.98 for 13/.8 ...
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

$30 for 36/6.5

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to ccureau

Re: ...Comcast's planned $45 acquisition...

said by ccureau:

Probably meant $45 million...but probably about the accurate value for TWC anyway.

Billion

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to ocjosh

Welcome to the club. Here in the north part of the MSA, there's TWC or AT&T UVerse. Some 3rd party DSL carriers offer 3Mbps here because I'm 12,000' from the CO (~200' from the VRAD).

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to BlueC

What they are doing is lumping ALL competing companies into one bucket. What they fail to mention is that the overwhelming majority of those companies do not serve residential customers.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

toejam

join:2013-06-14
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

reply to norm

Re: ...Comcast's planned $45 acquisition...

accompanied with evil laughter.

coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Zenit

Re: This chart is a bullshit

Yeah... It's interesting that they list AT&T, Verizon, and CenturyLink as providing for the Phoenix Metro area. (Glendale/Phoenix/Mesa and a dozen or so other municipalities.) In the entire Phoenix Metro Area, CL controls all of the wireline access to my knowledge.

I wonder if they're really counting AT&T and Verizon's LTE services as broadband competition, or if the "Metropolitain Statistical Area" includes pretty massively outlying areas. (Like Casa Grande, AZ -- although CL also has Casa Grande at the moment.)

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Lumping in Celluar...

To those who are competitors? Tmo in no way competes with CC or TW, that's just one example.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to biotech

50/10 with Basic Digital for 80 a month with CC.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: No competition in DC...

FIOS actually arrived at my place in DC in January 2014, after a cable had been hanging nearby for over a year. Right before I moved, in fact, so no chance to order it.

existenz

join:2014-02-12
Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to BlueC

I have 3 options on my street (TWC, SureWest, Google Fiber - Uverse is in my zipcode but not my street). TWC isn't even trying to compete with Google. They now offer 100/5 but want $95 for it vs $70 for Google 1000/1000.

BTW, for those who haven't seen my Google Fiber review in KC, check it out. They really do deliver near 1Gbit...

»Google Fiber Kansas City

join:2014-01-06

Comcast "spin cycle" is in full gear! Hahahaa

quote:
Wait... you also have LTE services. Broaden your horizons!
I guess the folks at Concrap don't remember the old Sesame Street song.....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0ftfKFEJg

No wireless is not like the others, it DOESN'T belong in the wired competition for many reasons including and especially cost.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to TamaraB

said by TamaraB:

Competition is the key. Classify ISPs as public utilities, and problem solved!

Not to argue your point about whether ISPs should be classified as utilities but...

your first two sentences are antithetical

Real competition encourages innovation and lowers price.

Public utilities are generally heavily regulated, often monopolies, and as a result lack either true innovation or competitive pricing.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

$$$?

$70 symmetric gigabit from Comcast? Better and cheaper video content? I think not..
There are no grandiose benefits of Comcast getting any bigger (other than Comcast making piles more Cash they don't deserve). Infact, they should give back NBC. FAR TOO MUCH propaganda media is in the hands of far too few companies and/or individuals already. The garbage for what passes as entertainment these days is so watered down (in both NEW AND OLD MEDIA types) that all the programming boils down to (cable & broadcast tv) is about 6 - 9 hours of decent programming per week that any one person might be interested in with a sea of junk thrown in and you're forced to buy it ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. Free ota content is not free.. you pay for it with your viewing time on commercials.. that is unless you download the shows via bittorrent and strip out what never should have been there in the first place.

The deal makes Comcast tens of millions of dollars more than they already do per quarter. This is just as good as taking a dump on the American people and claiming Americans needed fertilizer just like Steve Jobs said the world needed billions of dolllars of "I" products. Which, with the guerilla warfare marketing tactics (which AGRESSIVELY ATTACKED any criticisms or common sense reviews of the products) promoted by wall street, the American people fell for hook, line and sinker.

The world needs MUCH less extracting PROFITS at any cost and more providing a valued service or product at a reasonable price (let's forget cut-throat dirt cheap prices for the moment as in the 99 cent stores). Following this plan, we would have seen 300 - 500 megabit internet in the northeast in 2012 for btw $50 and $99. Instead you have to line up for 15 megabit internet for $70 from Verizon. When lies and deception are the norms for business practices, it makes a shady car salesman look like a pillar of the community.

Paladin
Sage of the light

join:2001-08-17
Chester, IL

You had me until you made the silly, gratuitous shot at Apple. You don't want an iPhone? Fine, there are plenty of really good alternatives. You don't like your cable company? You're screwed.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to bbeesley

said by bbeesley:

Real competition encourages innovation and lowers price.

Public utilities are generally heavily regulated, often monopolies, and as a result lack either true innovation or competitive pricing.

That's true but without real competition we essentially have a monopoly. If they want to behave like a monopoly then they should be treated like one.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

I was making a correlation between electric "monopolies" and ISP "monopolies". We have competition now with electric and gas where before we had none. The same can be accomplished with the Internet, where we currently have no competition. If I want Internet, I have Cablevision ONLY. A couple of miles from here, folks have TWC ONLY.