spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-08 18:15:32: While most of us love the faster speeds provided by fiber, over the years we've seen more than a few complaints about destroyed property. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

All part of the package

You can't do a job as big as Google is doing in Kansas City without disruptions. Just learn to put up with it. No pain. No gain.
--
Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef?!

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today

They can come and rip my whole yard up. Fat chance on that.

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Google Fiber

At least they deliver as advertised

I got GFiber in KC last weekend and am very pleased with it. Paradigm shifting services are worth a few bumps in the road, although no appearance of issues in my area. KC has the infrastructure in place for future - same issues occur when building freeways, rail lines and major infrastructure.

For those who haven't seen my review, it really does do near a Gbit. Several updates...
»Google Fiber Kansas City

existenz

Reviews:
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

reply to biochemistry

Re: All part of the package

And it's not just Google. Because of the red tape Google cut in KC, ATT and TWC got those benefits too and are also laying a lot more fiber around city.

Last year a restaurant exploded in KC due to TWC contractors laying fiber, breaking a gas line. A restaurant worker died.

»www.kshb.com/news/local-news/jjs···xplosion

Mr Guy

@charter.com

Some people are never happy

People complain about lack of competition then complain when that competion "disrupts" their day. You don't like huge u-verse cabinets or google digging up your yards or street? Imagine if you did actually get another 1 or 2 or 3 cable providers in your area that you claim you want. EVERYONE one of them would be digging up your yards and attaching wires to your house.

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12

I think i found the problem

We ask our contractors

CheapLabor

@comcast.net
reply to Mr Guy

Re: Some people are never happy

The problem is Google and others building infrastructure hire contractors to do the work. And they then hire the lowest bidding subcontractors who then hire the cheapest day labor they can find(often illegal immigrants). The ones doing the actual work could care less about safety or disruption to other utilities in the ground.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House

Yo...google...

Canada checking in...if you want you can build alllll over the place up here, we'd be happy to have you. You can choke the hell out of: Telus, Rogers, Bell, Sasktel, Cogeco, and so on and we'll even give you free doughnuts for every single one of them that you do. We won't even whine when you "disrupt" our neighborhoods with the OMG "destroyed" front yards.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mr Guy

Too much of a good thing?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to CheapLabor

The problem is the city accepted liability, and Google has no pressing need to strictly supervise contractors paid by the mile/install.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to biochemistry

Problems are acceptable, if Google Fiber ensures that all complaints are resolved satisfactorily.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Mashiki

Re: Yo...google...

I doubt everyone would be happy with Google just doing what ever they want. And they have shown that they don't want to deal with the snow/ice. Otherwise they'd be in more in those areas in the States.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

2 recommendations

reply to biochemistry

If AT&T or Comcast was doing this it would be bad. If Google is doing its good. Go figure.

existenz

Because ATT/Comcast didn't pave the way to offering true Gbit for $70 or nearly free 5M.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to tshirt

Haha! Looks like Photoshop came in and threw up on that building!

odreian615

join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

2 recommendations

reply to existenz

I guess fark everything and anyone else as long as you get your speedy tubes.
/Spoken like the people that voted Crumbcast the worst over Mosanto

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to battleop

Tell me when at&t and Comcast is laying Fiber for 1GBps for low prices and I might agree with you. It's all a question of worth.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to odreian615

... and then there's the people who are never satisfied, or who are after free money.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to TBBroadband

?? Never snows in Utah?

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to CheapLabor

said by CheapLabor :

The problem is Google and others building infrastructure hire contractors to do the work. And they then hire the lowest bidding subcontractors who then hire the cheapest day labor they can find

It's called business. They could hire the most expensive workers and raise their prices then people would complain about that.

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to KrK

said by KrK:

?? Never snows in Utah?

Or KC apparently.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

KC Has been hammered with snow this year, and cold weather. Good point.

Mr_Toad

@hcs.net

Come to Florida...

Florida residents want Google Fiber. You can tear anything up so long as you resod the lawns and repave the street/sidewalk. We have construction on streets year-round in Florida and no one seems to care. We are the state under construction since before you were born.

Mr_Toad

@hcs.net
reply to TBBroadband

It snows in KC and Utah, right?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to Mr Guy

Correct, which is why there should be only 1 fiber network nationwide that reaches all homes and businesses that any service provider can utilize for a fee to reach any consumer that wants to consume their services.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mr_Toad

Re: Come to Florida...

said by Mr_Toad :

Florida residents want Google Fiber. You can tear anything up so long as you resod the lawns and repave the street/sidewalk.

I seem to remember a lot of angry when Fios contractors were trenching their way around Florida, seems water and power and gas lines there weren't all buried at some standard depth or even at the depth and locations shown on the plat maps.
Most people only get really angry when it effects them.

JasonBourne

join:2000-05-22
Kansas City, MO
reply to Mr_Toad

Yes it snows in KC. The funny thing is after one snow, on a Sunday morning no less, the utility marking crews were out painting marks on the foot high snow plow banks on the side of Blue Ridge Boulevard. Google didn't resume their horizontal boring until that snow had mostly melted, which of course obliterated the markings. Dumb.

Mr_Toad

@hcs.net
reply to tshirt

Re: Come to Florida...

We'll I would try and strike a deal with my ISP if they came and dug up the front lawn or placed a VRAD/cabinet near it. Take 10% off the monthly bill and we'll call it even.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Mr_Toad :

Take 10% off the monthly bill and we'll call it even.

But you don't get anything off the bill...and worse because your local gov't acting on your behalf, has allowed / agreed the taxpayer to take the financial liability, when Googles contractors break a pipe, blow up a house, and maybe kill someone YOU get to help pay for the cost of the lawsuit/the millions in damages.
Not unreasonable if you wanted fiber, but what about those that don't?
Shouldn't Google be paying those claims and adding that cost in to the service fees?
So that actual users pay the actual expenses?

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

I'd rather have FIOS

And if they were still deploying it, destroy my lawn to put it in. Please Verizon.