dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-10 13:00:05: Back in January we were the first to report that Comcast was again doubling speeds on many of its tiers, starting first with the company's Midwest division. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl

Less than meets the eye

At least where I live (NE Atlanta suburbs) this isn't universal for all Blast customers, but only for those who have the Triple Play bundle. I don't know what Triple Play penetration rates are in the Northeast, but my guess is that this speed upgrade is being to far fewer people than Comcast would like you to think.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

not only that, but weren't they just crying about saturation not that long ago, yet they are increasing the maximum bandwidth per client while not increasing the actual capacity of their network.

overselling so they can get the merger approved.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Wow, they're really...

...torturing their customers, just long enough to get this approved, and then its back to "up to 1.5Mbps"

Or not.

The west coast could use a little love.
ericthered26
join:2011-09-29
Hamilton, OH

ericthered26

Well.... awesome?

I love how Comcast users are seeing real benefits (Netflix, more seed) as a direct result of Comcast trying to sham regulators into approval.

Meanwhile those of us on TWC likely aren't going to see any tangible benefits, regardless if it gets approved or not.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys

Complete builds

They should also be forced to complete builds in areas they have cherry picked made to go down any and all roads even if the road is a couple of miles and only a few houses.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

while twcable speed boosts are delayed

in the northeast twcable 50's got boosted to 100 where possible.
but twcable told us we'd all get 2x-3x more speed by year end,
presumably to better compete with verizon fios encroachment.
now the comcast merger has thrown a wrench into those plans.

thanks comcast for stifling customer progress, not enhancing it.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Caps

Well these higher speeds will help get you into overages that much quicker once Comcast gets their merger approved and starts imposing the caps they say they won't. Make the overages $10 per gigabyte and they will pay for Time Warner in no time.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

2 recommendations

FactChecker to BonezX

Premium Member

to BonezX

Re: Less than meets the eye

If you check the facts you will find:

1) Every ISP is ALWAYS oversubscribed - it's called statistical multiplexing.
2) For the vast majority of customers Comcast consistently delivers on advertised speed and was the only ISP that has done so since the FCC began measuring this statistic a few years ago.
3) Every year Comcast and other ISPs increase the actual capacity of their network to keep ahead of new demand

BlastSpeeds
@comcast.net

BlastSpeeds to tpkatl

Anon

to tpkatl
said by tpkatl:

At least where I live (NE Atlanta suburbs) this isn't universal for all Blast customers, but only for those who have the Triple Play bundle. I don't know what Triple Play penetration rates are in the Northeast, but my guess is that this speed upgrade is being to far fewer people than Comcast would like you to think.

I don't have the Triple Play pkg in South Jersey suburbs and I did get my Blast Tier speeds upgraded to 105/10 in the last week or so. The following result was from a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1(2014 version) which uses a Netgear router with 802.11ac on 5Ghz spectrum.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 92446847

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5
join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ

Scree to n2jtx

to n2jtx

Re: Caps

So apparently the 10 isn't going to 20 in the new 105/10 tier afterall, so thanks to your point I think it's time to save $10/mo. by going back to 50/10 here.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX to FactChecker

Premium Member

to FactChecker

said by FactChecker:

If you check the facts you will find:

1) Every ISP is ALWAYS oversubscribed - it's called statistical multiplexing.
2) For the vast majority of customers Comcast consistently delivers on advertised speed and was the only ISP that has done so since the FCC began measuring this statistic a few years ago.
3) Every year Comcast and other ISPs increase the actual capacity of their network to keep ahead of new demand

yes but every ISP wasn't crying about having too much demand on their network publicly, and leveraging their consumer base to get what they wanted.

Whats the say that the carriers aren't doing routing tweaks to increase their stats, considering that the FCC hardware has to be added to the client account, and could easily be pushed onto a better managed routing table.

Every year ISP's increase the client base size, not so much the infrastructure capacity. larger network =/ faster network.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

Speed boost doesn't equal faster downloads

I've had the Blast Tier for a long time now and other than speed tests, I never see 50 Mbps downloads. Usually downloads max out at around 26 Mbps. This includes from content delivery networks like Limelight Networks and Akamai.

The boosted speeds really only help when downloading large files to multiple computers.
FactChecker
Premium Member

FactChecker to BonezX

Premium Member

to BonezX

Sorry... your assumption about the FCC hardware is quite false and would have been discovered if it was true

Also all the industry analysis shows usage/subscriber increases every year and more demand requires more installed capacity in order to keep up with the FCC measurements.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

the FCC definition of broadband is 3/0.768mbps(can't find solid numbers anywhere), so yea, as far as the FCC sees they are meeting or exceeding targets in every market.

too bad the targets could have been met 10 years ago, and are blown away by third world countries.
FactChecker
Premium Member

FactChecker

Premium Member

You may want to read the report... The FCC is measuring advertised vs delivered speeds at peak time of day.

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-br ··· February

Goaliegeek24
@comcast.net

Goaliegeek24

Anon

Performance is 15Mbps allegedly.

I contacted comcast chat support on this. They said yes about the speed bumps, then when I asked when I would get 50Mbps instead of the 25Mbps Performance package I have, they said that the Performance is 15Mbps and can go up to 25Mbps. Pretty BS they show 25Mbps but say the base is actually 15Mbps. So unless I get Blast which is already 50, I probably won't see an upgrade.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX to FactChecker

Premium Member

to FactChecker

As i said, based on their low measurement value, of course the numbers look good. guess how many countries are less then the FCC definition, 23
www.netindex.com/downloa ··· untries/)

3mbps down isn't even relevant for common users anymore.

also from your link

nice chart, but over 100% actual vs advertised seems like cooked numbers(low ball advertising), or the companies in question don't know how to properly setup equipment(more bandwidth per customer). Guess which one is more likely.

your name
@comcast.net

your name to Morac

Anon

to Morac

Re: Speed boost doesn't equal faster downloads

said by Morac:

I've had the Blast Tier for a long time now and other than speed tests, I never see 50 Mbps downloads. Usually downloads max out at around 26 Mbps. This includes from content delivery networks like Limelight Networks and Akamai.

The boosted speeds really only help when downloading large files to multiple computers.

Or streaming video to multiple devices from different sources.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Morac

Premium Member

to Morac
My 50/10 Blast tier consistently sees >6MB/s speeds when downloading multi-Gigabyte games from Steam.
FactChecker
Premium Member

FactChecker to BonezX

Premium Member

to BonezX

The FCC measurement value is on the advertise speeds not the 3mbps you keep referring to.

AFA "cooked numbers", not sure why any ISPs wants to use "low ball advertising". This shows that they are giving higher than advertised speeds probably to make sure they meet or exceed expectations... or you can look at it in some negative way if you like
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to bcltoys

to bcltoys

Re: Complete builds

Most of those networks were networks that they BOUGHT from other companies. And you can't force a company to build out on something that is NOT a utility, and especially not required to live.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to Packeteers

to Packeteers

Re: while twcable speed boosts are delayed

Why blame Comcast? TWC is free to keep upgrading if they wish. They stopped instead.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to your name

to your name

Comcast is not responsible nor manages Limelight nor Akamai. Tell them to upgrade their peering points.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Can't wait

They better let me keep my modem when the speed upgrade arrives. There was one DSLR member that was told he had to use THEIR crappy gateway for 105/20. I currently have 50/10 which is going to 105/20.

I might buy a better router than the Netgear N600.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

Comcast is not responsible nor manages Limelight nor Akamai. Tell them to upgrade their peering points.

It's not my job to tell them to do that, nor would they listen to me if I did tell them. That's why I pay Comcast. Plus it's pretty much all CDNs, not just those two.
schwarzwald
join:2001-12-24
Severna Park, MD

schwarzwald to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Can't wait

How was Comcast's modem crappy if it was faster?

Anyway, your friend's modem is probably not DOCSIS 3 compliant which is required for 105/20.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Comcast now only issues their gateways, most DSLR members prefer a separate modem and router. The only way to do that these days is to purchase your own modem and I'm religious about owning my own modem. I refuse to rent their modem.
schwarzwald
join:2001-12-24
Severna Park, MD

schwarzwald

Yes, you said that already in your post. My point was that your friend possibly has an outdated modem and needs a DOCSIS 3 to even take advantage of the new speeds. If he doesn't have that then there's no room to complain.

Otherwise, he'll need to buy his own after Comcast installs theirs, get it provisioned, then return Comcast's (like I did). Very simple.

And I'm an old timer here. This has been done by many already.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

Qumahlin to Morac

MVM

to Morac

My speeds are sustained on almost all major CDN's so not sure what your issue is. The only one that doesn't max out is Netflix but thats because of Cogent. I also get some lag from the Amazon West LBs but thats about it.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by Qumahlin:

My speeds are sustained on almost all major CDN's so not sure what your issue is. The only one that doesn't max out is Netflix but thats because of Cogent. I also get some lag from the Amazon West LBs but thats about it.

Are you telling me you can get 50 Mbps (now 100 Mbps) on a single CDN connection?

I've never seen anything higher than the high 20's.
page: 1 · 2 · next