dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-10 13:00:05: Back in January we were the first to report that Comcast was again doubling speeds on many of its tiers, starting first with the company's Midwest division. ..

prev · 1 · 2
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to tpkatl

to tpkatl

Re: Less than meets the eye

This seems a common refrain with Cable companies.. Cablevision too is limiting the faster speeds to those who buy video services. Hint, anyone?
Therefore, when the cablecos bias thier offerings this way, so will the telcos.. that is if they want to (or can) offer faster speeds at all. This leaves the stand-alone customer SCREWED, once again. Imagine it costing MORE to not buy video than to buy a dual play or triple play service?!? Crazy!
Big Hurt
join:2004-02-26
Battle Creek, MI

Big Hurt to Morac

to Morac

Re: Speed boost doesn't equal faster downloads

Same here in Springfield, MI. I only get 36/6 on my blast tier. I've always thought I was getting ripped off for what I pay.

Scorpion
@comcast.net

Scorpion

Anon

Question

"It's only on select double and triple plays. It will not be for Internet only customers."

Does anyone know if the speeds will ever be bumped for internet only users?? Or is this gonna be a new trend.

Ytsejamer1
join:2008-01-18
Somersworth, NH

1 edit

Ytsejamer1 to Big Hurt

to Big Hurt

Re: Speed boost doesn't equal faster downloads

Sounds like you may have an older cable modem that won't go past that amount. 35-40MBps was roughly my limit until I replaced my cable modem with a DOCSIS 3.0 one. (Arris TM822G)

Some of the limiting may be happening on your wireless/wired router. If you're WAN link is 100Mbit only...you may not see the full advertised speed.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

My router does handle 1 Gbps, but really 100 Mbps isn't going to keep speeds from going greater than 36.

In my case it's only CDNs that are "slow". I max out on speed tests, so there's no reason for CDN to download at only 25 Mbps.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Do you have a 4-channel modem? You might see better sustained speeds in a heavy congestion area with an 8-channel modem.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by jmn1207:

Do you have a 4-channel modem? You might see better sustained speeds in a heavy congestion area with an 8-channel modem.

I have an 8-channel modem. Like I mentioned I can max out my connection on speed tests (currently around 100 Mbps).
MikePWV
join:2010-09-08
Martinsburg, WV

MikePWV

bs

Blast here is still 35/6 and they said there is no plans to upgrade. Such BS.
alancats
join:2000-09-20
New York, NY

alancats

I have Blast Internet only, in D.C., and, there has been no speed upgrade whatsoever as of 4/15/14. I agree; this sounds like some clever PR intended to help grease the wheels for the merger, without actually changing anything on the ground. Do the feds really care about whether Comcast's claims are accurate? The company has the entire Democrat Party in its pocket; it has been laying the groundwork for this merger for years.
alancats

alancats to Scorpion

to Scorpion

Re: Question

The Comcast press release does not make any caveats about the alleged speed upgrade based on package subscriptions, and, the wording is unambiguous, that the entire Blast! customer base should see an upgrade. If, in fact, Comcast is restricting the speed upgrade to package customers only, then, the press release is blatant misrepresentation.
prev · 1 · 2