spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-11 14:41:27: If you recall, Snowden documents leaked back in January suggested that while the intelligence and law-enforcement communities long-ago tapped into most telecom networks, there was one communications method they hadn't yet gotten their noses into: in-.. ..

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Jeezus...

If this is what it's come to, we've already lost what we're fighting for.

MDA

join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN

Now they should be saying...

"Please turn off your Wi-Fi devices as this flight may be monitored for quality purposes" - sincerely FCC

wa2ibm
Premium
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA

Next...

OS suppliers will be required to prohibit users from turning OFF their device radios (WiFi, Cellular, etc.).
--
- Bill

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

VPN?

Are VPN's the answer?

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Possibly, unless the NSA has gotten to them as well

en103

join:2011-05-02

The only way VPNs would be useful - would be if you created your own encryption scheme and keys for point to point. You can rest assured that unless the other end is encrypted using your own form of PGP that it has already been compromised.

fenix_jn

join:2006-12-28
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·AT&T U-Verse

But even then, that encrypted traffic is only 'safe' as long as it stays within the network that you control, if you intend to use the internet, well, there goes your safety...

The best result this can accomplish is to disguise the IP/geolocation of the device connecting to the internet, nothing more.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to wa2ibm

Re: Next...

you already cannot remove the battery in a lot of phones, so the logical next step is as you describe for them.

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

Re: VPN?

I believe a VPN connection is a good idea for many reasons, and I use one for most of my internet traffic. Not so much for privacy from the NSA as for privacy from my school, my employer, local snooping. I'm sure the NSA can track down my VPN endpoint, and while I care, it's not a huge deal to me compared to local monitoring.

WillRegSoon

@optonline.net
reply to Chubbysumo

Re: Next...

We dumped our iPhones for some vintage throwaways off ebay from around 2010 or earlier.