dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-15 09:16:10: Back in June of 2010, you might recall that a security hole in AT&T's website allowed two individuals to gain access to the e-mail addresses of 114,000 owners of 3G Apple iPads, including "dozens of CEOs, military officials, and top politicians. ..

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

Imagine what the internet would be like if more trolls were thrown in prison

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

XYZZY - Pay Troll

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo to thender

to thender
"There's an unequal amount of good and bad in most things. The trick is to figure out the ratio and act accordingly." - Th3j35t3r

PlusOne
@comcast.net

PlusOne to thender

Anon

to thender
said by thender:

This guy belongs in prison.

imanogre
join:2005-11-29
Smyrna, GA

2 recommendations

imanogre

ugh

Worst argument yet.... :
"The problem? What Weev did technically wasn't hacking since AT&T's door was left wide open, something even prosecutors recently made very clear they didn't actually understand. "

Definition of hacking (google defintions)
"use a computer to gain unauthorized access to data in a system."

Was this clown authorized to have this data? No. Did he use a computer to access it? Yes.

Pretty much the definition of hacking.

And using the "door was open" is the worst argument ever.... it's like saying someone didn't commit grand theft auto because it was unlocked with the keys in it.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo to PlusOne

to PlusOne

Re: Imagine what the internet would be like if more trolls were thrown in prison

Where should AT&T and Apple be? They are ones that implemented poor security around the service.

Riusaki
join:2000-09-14
Space

Riusaki

By poor security you mean no security.

bpe199
@129.253.54.x

bpe199

Anon

not most

No, most of those effected were not from New Jersey. It's that New Jersey law has bigger penalties and they wanted the longest sentence to set an example. In most other states, it barely adds up to a misdemeanor. Here's an excerpt from the article at:

»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· eprieve/

"Charging Weev in New Jersey meant that the government's prosecutors could apply that state's laws to increase the severity of the sentence.

"To enhance the potential punishment from a misdemeanor to a felony, the Government alleged that Auernheimer's CFAA violation occurred in furtherance of a violation of New Jersey's computer crime statute," the court wrote.

This was improper, the Court said, and argued that New Jersey had little to do with the case, seeing as how the defendants resided outside of the state, as did the AT&T servers. The prosecution had claimed that because around 4,500 of the leaked emails were of New Jersey residents, that constituted sufficient grounds to hold the trial there and expose Weev to the Garden State's laws.
"
Regardless of what people think of this guy, he still deserves fair treatment under the law. Just because he isn't a particularly admirable individual, doesn't mean that we can look the other way when he's being railroaded.

I expect that if they do retry him in a more appropriate state, whatever sentence he may get, will amount to less than the 3.5 years he's already been behind bars. Personally, I don't have so much of a problem with WHAT he did, but more so with that he was planning on profiting from it. Still, the law says nothing about motive here.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

7 recommendations

noc007 to imanogre

to imanogre

Re: ugh

So I can sue everyone that accesses my website for hacking? Sure I didn't put any authentication or take any steps so only I could access the site. I didn't authorize anyone else to access my site and they're using a computer to access it so it must be hacking.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to thender

to thender

Re: Imagine what the internet would be like if more trolls were thrown in prison

It wouldn't be a good thing, it would be foolhardy.

A lack of freedom for trolls means a lack of freedom for you.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to bpe199

to bpe199

Re: not most

so you get put in jail for proving you crap is unsafe
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

Rekrul to imanogre

to imanogre

said by imanogre:

Was this clown authorized to have this data? No. Did he use a computer to access it? Yes.

Pretty much the definition of hacking.

Are you sure you want to criminalize the act of changing an URL? Because that's what it amounts to. Suppose you have an URL ending in /test123 and you accidentally type /test124. A page comes up that you weren't supposed to see. Should you now be arrested for hacking?

You'll probably argue that intentionally accessing a page is different than stumbling across it by accident. That argument isn't going to fly with the feds.
LucasLee
join:2010-11-26

LucasLee

well, if you clearly know you are unauthorized to access the data, as he was quoted several times. and you then copy said data, and then publish it, i think that's significantly different than accidentally changing a URL and stumbling upon something you shouldn't have.

remember, intent is an important aspect of most law. it's why there are varying degrees of murder and manslaughter, and joy-riding is a different charge than grand theft auto.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

axus to imanogre

to imanogre
I think if it's not password protected or whitelisted, and posted on the internet, all access is implicitly authorized.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to PlusOne

Premium Member

to PlusOne

Yeah sure buddy, when att has this habit of leaving their global logins for past and former employee's active for years. good one!
LucasLee
join:2010-11-26

LucasLee to axus

to axus

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQtlPPZ6FFE

so, what you're saying is, since these kids didn't explicitly secure access to their lunches, then the fat kid had implied authorization?

OmegaWolf747
Vive la revolucion
join:2009-02-08
Royal Oak, MI

OmegaWolf747 to thender

to thender

Good that weev's out. Now we need to get Barrett Brown out too.