spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-17 08:31:01: The other day we noted how Verizon was using manufactured astroturf to help the company sneak out of a broadband obligation to wire the entire state of New Jersey with 45 Mbps broadband by 2010. ..

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Are you fucking kidding me?

All these years and New Jersey just noticed?
You got to be fucking kidding me.

AkumaKuru

join:2006-03-23
Brookeville, MD

2 recommendations

well it is New Jersey.

honestly though, these kinds of business tactics are highly bad. My question is why isn't more being done by the affected jurisdictions to actually correct these issues.

"hey, he took my ball.....oh well" yeah not cool at all.

anONymousus

@verizon.net

4 recommendations

It's not just NJ

verizon is built upon fraud and greed, and it's not just NJ, it's every state where they do any wireline or wireless business. It's time for the FCC to take back the people's spectrum, it's time for verizon to be regulated within a inch of their life. The FCC screwed up when they allowed verizon to be in the first place.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AkumaKuru

Re: Are you fucking kidding me?

said by AkumaKuru:

well it is New Jersey.

honestly though, these kinds of business tactics are highly bad. My question is why isn't more being done by the affected jurisdictions to actually correct these issues.

"hey, he took my ball.....oh well" yeah not cool at all.

Just before I read the first line of your post I was thinking the exact same thing.

LOL.

Blob
--
Don't try to follow me, I have a cab waiting. EEEEEEEEradicator!

Probitas

@teksavvy.com

nothing will change

This is no different from the behavior of certain parties during federal elections where they send fraudulent voting information to certain districts to confuse the electorate into essentially giving up their voting rights. The people responsible for that are still walking around free, so I doubt this would be any different. I'm sure they made sure it can't be tracked back to the source. "It was an overzealous employee, we're very sorry, and that person no longer works for us." is the response you are likely to hear if they ever are taken to task.

I think people should stop sneering at China and Korea when they talk corruption in politics, it's alive and doing quite well in the USA.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

Good grief ...

This rates right up there with Comcast paying the homeless to take up space in a FCC hearing.

»blog.getmiro.com/2008/02/comcast···hearing/

posthaste

join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL

1 edit

Verizon Busted?

No, they weren't. Verizon pays outside companies to do their "consulting" work. Rule number one is keep it at arm's length, then they are astounded when astroturfing allegations come to light.

truasian16

join:2003-11-10
Jersey City, NJ

bpu

Its up to the board and their commissioners to decide the ill fate of Broadband NJ aka oportuninty NJ. If you look at how it all started you will realize they cherry picked their grounds right out of the gate. They used it to track consumer behavior in the best demographics. As we all realized now they collect all data and hand it over to the NSA. Same time same data is sold to the highest bidder and you got premium dataset right there. Now hopefully they realize utilities in America are basically Internet, electricity, gas and water. Until we don't have blanket wireless over America we will have cell phone companies. After that there is no real need for any company like that. And with the comcast and twc cable merger which I hope it happens will create the isp trying to create their own wireless hotspots. Overall we just need more more people to check out time4popcorn .eu . And things like the chromecast where you get to see more original content.

spyknee

join:2007-11-30
Woodside, NY

1 recommendation

Our own dam fault

Congress and state legislators are bought and paid for by corporate America.
The US Supreme court has ruled that corporations have the rights of people.

What do you expect when the citizens keep returning the same elected officials to office, election cycle after election cycle. This is unregulated capitalism at its finest. Unregulated anything is a cancer, plain and simple.

Politicians do not enter office for public service, they play the game to become millionaires. Just as the early railroad barons paid politicians to get their infrastructure paid for by the public, so too do modern telecoms. We elect them, we let them, we pay them.

You would do the same if you could.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

1 recommendation

reply to biotech

You are talking about one of the most corrupt states in the nation. The governor is Chris Christie for crying out loud. I say this as one who typically votes Republican.
--
Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef?!

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to anONymousus

Re: It's not just NJ

said by anONymousus :

verizon is built upon fraud and greed

Awfully strong words. Why exactly is Verizon so fraudulent and corrupt?

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to truasian16

Re: bpu

The BPU won't do anything. It's not like they actually care.

As for cherry picking, Verizon got a statewide franchise years ago with the promise that they would their then new FIOS service to a certain percentage of people per county. They did that by just cherry picking the wealthiest towns. I actually watched them run their fiber lines right past my development.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AkumaKuru

if you haven't been paying attention these past dozen or so years.. plenty of people in government and business generally lack any moral compass these days and are about themselves getting more and EVERYBODY else getting less. NJ isn't at the top of the list, but it ranks high (top dirty dozen).

when was the last time you paid a fair gasoline price? did it last for more than 3 months in the last 10 years?

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
said by tmc8080:

if you haven't been paying attention these past dozen or so years.. plenty of people in government and business generally lack any moral compass these days and are about themselves getting more and EVERYBODY else getting less.

Exactly right. Businesses of all types have been spending money to get 'their guy' into office. Politics these days is nothing but a corrupt revolving door to the business world.

Maybe it is just a coincidence that the BPU Commissioner's son works (or worked) for a Verizon lobby firm?

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Surprised you did not say his wife instead of a son.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
I was only aware of the son... does the wife work there too?

MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
reply to openbox9

"Verizon busted for incredibly fraudulent behavior in New Jersey."

Is reading for comprehension not your forte?

openbox9
Premium
Germany
Anything besides Karl Bode See Profile's headline?

MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
said by openbox9:

Anything besides Karl Bode See Profile's headline?

Did you not read the Ars Technica story on this?

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014···gation/?

It would appear Verizon engaged in fraud on a large scale, not just some little, piddling isolated incident you can write off as the musings of Karl Bode. If this in fact isn't outright fraud, please explain what it is and what, in your mind, constitutes fraud.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Morac

Re: bpu

Verizon scaled back their promised goals by several fold since 2002/3 when they first did their "test market" in Keller, TX. Offloading low density and high cost municipalities apparently looking back was part of the plan all along, probably even with Sidenberg running the 3-card monty.. which is Verizon.
It will probably take nothing less then for them to lose their crown jewel in the northeast NYC to get a dose of reality.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to tmc8080

said by tmc8080:

if you haven't been paying attention these past dozen or so years.. plenty of people in government and business generally lack any moral compass these days and are about themselves getting more and EVERYBODY else getting less. NJ isn't at the top of the list, but it ranks high (top dirty dozen).

"plenty of people in government and business generally lack any moral compass these days and are about themselves getting more and EVERYBODY else getting less"

^
This
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to MrBungle87