spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-21 08:13:50: Paying off national and state politicians along with lobbyists to get your way seems like a tradition within the internet/TV business. ..

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

2 recommendations

AT&T and Verizon

Glad the article mentioned those 2 rip off artists. Both of them need to be totally disbanded! 2 of the most disgusting/despicable/deplorable companies in existence.

Lobbyists and any "donations" from anyone other than private individuals, and only up to a certain amount, to ANYTHING government or law deciding sectors need to be outlawed also.

--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:1

2 recommendations

And they ghost write bills pretending to be a local interest

They tried this in KS posing as a 'local' group. The bill was entirely ghost written by corporate telcom lobbyists from elsewhere and passed the House (paid off?) but din't make through Senate. Most media implied it passed but didn't.

your name

@google.com

1 recommendation

Comcast TWC merger has value

Comcast's attempted acquisition of Time Warner Cable approved by regulators, even if nobody other than Comcast actually sees any benefit to the deal

The merger does have value to customers of both companies. The main one being increased size gives more leverage vs the content companies; thereby holding down content prices.

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR

1 recommendation

FCC should preempt muni-fiber bans

The recent court decision that overturned the FCC's Net Neutrality rules nonetheless affirmed that Section 706 of the Telecom Act was an independent "grant" of authority for the FCC to regulate broadband.

Since that section requires the FCC to act to remove "barriers" to the deployment of broadband services, ISTM the FCC could use that authority to preempt the state legislative bans on muni-fiber, no doubt funded by incumbent telcos and cablecos.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

cv lobbying...

All CV wants is to stealthily sneak it's FIBER lines into Verizon, Comcast and AT&T's geographies where they don't already exist (FOR COMMERCIAL GRADE INTERNET) without signing up new local, regional and statewide franchise agreements. CV's lobbying doesn't have much to do with residential last mile svc, except when facts come to light which result in making the cost of business for Verzion more expensive.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to fg8578

Re: FCC should preempt muni-fiber bans

I wonder if that same rule you mentioned could also be used to challenge state bans on muni fiber in federal court since the FCC did not grant the states the authority to regulate muni fiber.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to cork1958

Re: AT&T and Verizon

said by cork1958:

Glad the article mentioned those 2 rip off artists. Both of them need to be totally disbanded! 2 of the most disgusting/despicable/deplorable companies in existence.

AT&T was disbanded, but like the T-2000 it reassembled itself.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

intok

join:2012-03-15

So like the T-2000 we should throw them into a vat of molten steel.

fg8578

Salem, OR
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I wonder if that same rule you mentioned could also be used to challenge state bans on muni fiber in federal court since the FCC did not grant the states the authority to regulate muni fiber.

Good question, for which I have no answer.

But I suspect the FCC won't be willing to try such a lawsuit. It's one thing for the FCC itself to preempt state law on the basis of Section 706, quite another to sue in court to overturn those laws. While the two would give the same result, and on its face don't seem that different, in fact they are very different. It's the difference between the FCC doing something on its own vs. suing in court.

Not sure they have the stomach for the latter.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

I wonder if supporters of muni broadband could also file suit.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to intok

Re: AT&T and Verizon

said by intok:

Got me, but without a change in regulation, how can we keep AT&T from reforming?
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to intok

Sure.. Why not?

intok

join:2012-03-15

1 recommendation

reply to pandora

said by pandora:

said by intok:

Got me, but without a change in regulation, how can we keep AT&T from reforming?

By breaking them up again and throwing the entire board of the Baby Bells 2.0 into a vat of molten steel should they try to merge.

We should only have to throw in a few dozen before they get the point.
--
You think theres no games for Linux? »desura.com »gameolith.com »humblebundle.com »playdeb.net »ubuntuvibes.com

Check out »youtube.com/user/TheBigPictureRT/videos »freespeech.org and »democracynow.org

fg8578

Salem, OR
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I wonder if supporters of muni broadband could also file suit.

I suppose there is nothing stopping them from doing so. But filing and winning are two different things.

And there is the issue of "standing". The law specifically gives the FCC and the states the right and the authority to remove barriers to broadband investment. Citizens aren't mentioned.

So it isn't clear to me that the law gives citizens the right to sue, but then again, IANAL, so don't take my word for it.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to your name

Re: Comcast TWC merger has value

Not a chance ... Remember thanks to vertical integration cable companies are often major content producers or affiliated with them ... e.g. Comcast = NBC Universal

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to IowaCowboy

This isn't about regulating fiber. It's about the state keeping local munis from being companies and putting a new tax on the public to pay for these networks.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to tmc8080

Re: cv lobbying...

It's not hard to build out just for businesses. Internet is not a regulated product and many states would require them to be a CLEC to hang fiber on the poles. That gives them CLEC status. They just need to use their business unit to manage the network and sales and only use that data base. The same as with any other B2B vs B2C sales.