spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-21 10:16:39: The New York Times is the latest to write a love letter to Comcast top lobbyist David Cohen, who skirts federal lobbying rules by simply pretending not to be a lobbyist. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Just Say No

I think Kate Cox does a wonderful job of outlining some of the key reasons to worry about the Comcast-TWC merger.

»consumerist.com/2014/04/12/the-c···rmation/

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

Just more of The Big Lie

"Both Comcast and Time Warner Cable rank very poorly with consumers when it comes to value for the money and have earned low ratings for customer support," said Delara Derakhshani of Consumer Reports. "A merger combining these two huge companies would give Comcast even greater control over the cable and broadband Internet markets, leading to higher prices, fewer choices, and worse customer service for consumers."

Perhaps we need to tell our Representatives In Congress how much we really HATE this proposed merger.
»bit.ly/Qlz4tJ

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

2 recommendations

David Cohen can see the light!

because his head is so far up his own ass it's making a loop

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Time Warner has better customer service

I wish it was Time Warner buying Comcast.

Comcast has excellent products but their customer service is enough to make me take my business elsewhere. That is why my TV is with DirecTV and home phone is with Verizon. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Comcast for internet.

Hopefully the deal is blocked. The only silver lining is keeping my E-mail addresses if I move to Maine.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

I don't think so..

Having personally interacted with Comcast CS on several occasions over the last few years for other people. Comcast CS sucks.

Obvious downed/broken drop line takes several days to get a truck roll.

Takes an act of god to get them to reauthorize the HD receiver they installed on the account. Had to prove it was their problem, by swapping receivers and demonstrate the outlet was functional.

Each time one had to sit on hold for 20, 30, 40 minutes..

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

Fire this guy Comcrap

Are you seriously bragging that you get 1 million service calls a day? How is that a point of pride for this company?

How many customers do you have? What percentage of that call up every single day to report a problem? You do the math, that is fucking terrible! That is why you are called Comcrap.
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
reply to jmn1207

Re: Just Say No

If this merger doesn't go through, I'll lose faith in my conviction regarding the absolute corruption of the current regulatory system.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
reply to jmn1207
I say YES!

People arguing against this deal are mixing corporate business practices with customer experiences and rights.

1. Comcast is a very successful company, period. They are a very aggressive company that want to expand and make money, that is what successful companies do. If you want to argue and control this practice then put restrictions or conditions in the deal.

2. Comcast subscribers have enjoyed the fastest internet around delivering blazing fast speeds while the immediate competition only have offered DSL and VDSL limited speeds... that is a fact. The real competition is coming from other aggressive companies like google and local ISPs.

The argument that Comcast and TWC customers are unhappy is flawed and questionable. Nobody has ever asked me if I'm happy. Where do these rating companies get their data from, the competition? If subscribers are so unhappy why are they still Comcast or TWC subscribers? Why don't they switch to Uverse VDSL or Verizon DSL? It doesn't make any sense.

Albert71292

join:2004-10-31
West Monroe, LA
reply to jmn1207
I live in a Comcast area, but so far haven't used them for anything. Dropped Dish Network a few years ago, not because of customer service, but got tired of paying for 250 channels showing nothing but "reality show" crap. Still getting my internet from a local DSL provider, since it's not capped like Comcast is.

If this deal goes through, Comcast will probably start capping Time Warner customers monthly usage, which, the way I understand, is currently not capped.

cferro

join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ

99% of the Customers say Thumbs Down

I would like to know the make up of this focus group or survey that gives Comcast such high marks.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA
reply to ieolus

Re: Fire this guy Comcrap

I think these numbers are about customer interactions, and not only about people calling in with a problem. Still, the industry is ranked in most reports as one of the worst for customer service, and Comcast ranks at the bottom when compared to others in this horribly performing industry.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

4 recommendations

99% of our customers ....

A. Don't care.
B. Are too lazy to complain.
C. Are too lazy to switch.
D. All of the above.

This is how they come up with 99% love their service.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

4 recommendations

reply to etaadmin

Because Comcast is a monopoly in most areas where they operate when it comes to FAST internet service. DSL is technically broadband, but much slower than cable. What you're doing is a slightly less extreme version of asking why unhappy customers don't switch to dial-up.

cahiatt
Premium
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

1 recommendation

Holy crap! 300 million service calls a year?

But doesn't Comcast only have about 22 million customers? So that comes out to about 13 service calls per customer, per year? That's a shitload of calls.....

Is the real story here that they suck at customer service?

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
Reviews:
·MTCO Communicati..
·DIRECTV
·Frontier Communi..
reply to battleop

Re: 99% of our customers ....

As an ex-Comcast customer that got really ticked off, I left a few years ago...
and went elsewhere.....
So, of course, I do NOT get counted in the percentage of upset customers.

AND...for many years, Comcast has been towards the very bottom of Consumer Reports ratings for both ISPs and Cablecos. A well deserved honor, in my experience.

etaadmin

Dallas, TX
reply to vpoko

Exactly one of my points... that is not Comcas't fault, it is the other company's fault.

Didn't at&t got the go ahead for the Bellsouth merger because they promised to expand to rural areas and other stuff?
»news.cnet.com/FCC-approves-ATT-B···369.html

Why is that Verizon's FiOS and Uverse gigapower is not in more markets? Is that Comcast's fault?

On the contrary the Comcast/TWC merger will stir up competition and make things better for consumers.

»consumerist.com/2014/03/07/thoug···service/
Expand your moderator at work

mlcarson

join:2001-09-20
Los Alamos, NM

Customer Service

Comcast Customer Service is like most these days. They hire the cheapest people they can that know how to answer a phone and read a script. This is totally inadequate to handle a technical problem beyond turning your equipment off and back on again. There's no way to talk to a real technician over the phone.

If a tech comes to your house, he'll simply take a signal reading, replace splitters, and cut the ends off all your cables and reterminate them. You can never get a line tech without going through another service call at least once. If you have intermittent issues this is an exercise in frustration because you have to be home for repeated tech calls that don't have the skills/equipment to diagnose the issue so they do the same things listed above over and over again. I went through this for months with a signal ingress issue somewhere in their network (not at my end).

Customer service almost never knows of maintenance activity or other service issues in your neighborhood. There doesn't seem to be any communication between the local Comcast provider and the large call centers.

I don't see how they can ever improve their ratings without doing some fundamental changes like also providing local support and that's just not economical for them.

etaadmin

Dallas, TX
reply to Albert71292

said by Albert71292:

If this deal goes through, Comcast will probably start capping Time Warner customers monthly usage, which, the way I understand, is currently not capped.

Probably, but we (TWC subs) most likely will get faster internet speeds and much better TV hardware than we are getting now.

So it is a trade off between CAPS or faster internet speeds, newer TV hardware and a much better TV UI.

rfrooney

join:2006-02-26
Antioch, TN

1 recommendation

What is Cohen smoking?

or is he just delusional? Comcrap has been voted the worst company in America byreaders of Consumerist.com... TWICE! Stupid is as stupid does.

ncted

join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

Numbers seem off

I am not clear about how many subs Comcast has, but let's assume it is 50 million which is the highest number I found. How bad is their service that their customers need to interact with Customer Service (in person, on phone, truck roll, on-line) 28 times per year? As bad as TWC was when I had it, it was never that bad.

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

Comcast is ok.

I am getting good service from Comcast. The downside is though that over the years I have had issues and I learned the Comcast processes through those issues. To the point that when I talk to a Comcast CSR I usually can drive them through their own bureaucracy to the end that I desire. My frustration is that if I can learn these procedures from the customer end of the phone. Why cant the CSR learn the same thing through repetition? I mean they take these calls day in and day out. I would expect that at some point it "clicks" for them and they start to see patterns in the calls and react faster the next time they see that issue. NOPE. Every time I talk to a CSR its like rediscovering the wheel all over again. I would think that after as many calls as I have logged with Comcast over the years that someday I would talk to a veteran CSR that knew exactly what to do when I call. Unfortunately I have yet to see that happen.

etaadmin

Dallas, TX
reply to cferro

Re: 99% of the Customers say Thumbs Down

Maybe they don't have anything to complain about?

When I had at&t DSL my connection dropped multiple times every day so I complained a lot, to the point that I became a 'problematic' customer.

With TWC I have called maybe twice in more than 7 years.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to etaadmin

said by etaadmin:

Why is that Verizon's FiOS and Uverse gigapower is not in more markets? Is that Comcast's fault?

On the contrary the Comcast/TWC merger will stir up competition and make things better for consumers.

»consumerist.com/2014/03/07/thoug···service/

The merger will make things better for consumers because Verizon and AT&T will expand into more markets? If that's the basis of your point then it's definitely not accurate. IF it stirs up competition it'll only happen in areas where FiOS and U-Verse currently exist because the investments for VZ/ATT are already there.

It will certainly not make them want to expand into additional markets if it means they have to spend more money to compete after the TWC & CC merger.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA
reply to etaadmin
Verizon has essentially pulled out of the wire-line business as much as they can, for now. They have made some agreement with Comcast where they apparently promised not to compete with each other.

»www.comcast.com/verizon-wireless.html

Unless this situation changes, don't expect toes to be stepped on.

dfxmatt

join:2007-08-21
Evanston, IL
reply to etaadmin
This is hilarious, and wrong.

1: They don't expand. If they did, they'd be expanding service at rates people can afford. Remind me when that happens, because 10 years from now we'll have the competitive speeds we need today. When we do? Well the ball will have moved, because maybe people will figure out that comcast refuses to let you have a server under any circumstances using the consumer connection. Which is hilarious if you realize what that means.

2: We don't have the fastest internet, either. Not even close. What's hilarious is their deal with verizon to basically refuse to compete, as well. Where are speed increases going to come from if they have no competition? Who's going to make them do so?
This matters because: competition creates more business for comcast, as well. It's not a matter of "holding people accountable" as much as it is "benefitting the company in question and consumers equally". Everyone loses from a lack of competition, including the company monopolizing on said lack of competition. It's an economical loss.

From a factual perspective (and not your emotional hilarity) our speeds have continued to lag behind the entire world for internet access - continually. Our access to internet services also lags. see: hosting a server at home, starting a business so you can then afford their business service, etc. Did I mention how hilariously crappy their business connection speeds are? AT&T and Verizon do miles and away better for business customers (OC48, etc) than Comcast can ever provide or even will. Their SLA's are untenable.

Why would anyone switch to uverse or verizon from comcast? That's like telling someone who drives a car that a bicycle is a comparable service. While I hate comcast, there's so little competition that their closest "competitors" are easily a magnitude worse.

sevenbelow

join:2014-03-21
Roslyn Heights, NY
reply to etaadmin
As A Time Warner Cable Business Class Master Agent in NYC, their service and customer service is the worst. Tech support is excellent however. NYC is so messed up that support is not able to schedule trouble calls for the same day or more than 48 hours out. If I call on Friday and ask for a monday appointment, I am told they are not able to schedule that far out in NYC. The reason customers tolerate it is there are not any other options if FIOS is not in the building other than ordering an EOC or T-1 or DSL, which although can be more reliable, the cost is too high.

Half the time when their are area issues, the repairs are delayed since the buildings where their equipment is located won't give them access. They need to clear it with the building super and must schedule ahead of time.

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA
reply to etaadmin
You can only have so many last-mile providers. Poles and underground conduits are not an unlimited resource. Also, Comcast has always been in the business of lobbying for regulatory hurdles against additional providers like municipal fiber projects. Additionally, there's an issue of capital, which is why Verizon won't just wire up the whole country. But just because the solutions are slow doesn't mean we should add to the problem.

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Are they that stupid?

You know what... everything that is happening to our GREAT country are being fucked up by mental people who only think about their own wealth and that their stupidity has contributed to the value of the dollar declining every year...

LIST OF PEOPLE WHO CONTRIBUTED:
David Cohen - Elderly Senior who has had too much pot to smoke
Randall L. Stephenson - Ex-staff of the Bell System and has caused the Bell System to "rise" again in the 21st century.

Anyone else to list??

etaadmin

Dallas, TX
reply to Zero

said by Zero:

It will certainly not make them want to expand into additional markets if it means they have to spend more money to compete after the TWC & CC merger.

And how will blocking the TWC/CC merger will make at&t verizon expand in more markets or make more competition?

The TWC/CC merger is the least of both evils... the best outcome considering the current situation.

I for one don't see CC servicing my area, TWC is my local cable ISP. I also don't have verizon as an option as at&t is the company servicing my area.

For me as a consumer and current TWC subscriber this deal looks good to me.