dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-22 08:03:44: Comcast's first quarter 2014 earnings were released this morning, indicating that Comcast is one of the only large cable operators not losing basic cable subscribers. ..

nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu

How many are actually watching the video?

Seems that both Comcast and Verizon are offering Internet+TV packages that are cheaper than stand alone internet. The customer retention depts sell these often unadvertised rates when you try to cancel the video portion of your bill. ie, pay $90 for standalone internet, or $70 for internet+basic tv. Basically you just get local QAM channels and no STB, and it is worth it even if you don't have the means or desire to watch any of those channels.. I'd guess most cord cutters who shed their TV portion end up in one of these plans and still get counted as video subscribers.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I have internet only

I try to give Comcast as little money as possible. I have my TV with DirecTV.

I do have that home control package ($9.99/month) through Comcast. If I move to Maine I might get ADT pulse and bundle it all in one service (home automation and security.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to nfotiu

Premium Member

to nfotiu

Re: How many are actually watching the video?

said by nfotiu:

Seems that both Comcast and Verizon are offering Internet+TV packages that are cheaper than stand alone internet. The customer retention depts sell these often unadvertised rates when you try to cancel the video portion of your bill. ie, pay $90 for standalone internet, or $70 for internet+basic tv. Basically you just get local QAM channels and no STB, and it is worth it even if you don't have the means or desire to watch any of those channels.. I'd guess most cord cutters who shed their TV portion end up in one of these plans and still get counted as video subscribers.

They would still be a video subscriber. if you are getting any Tv channels from the cable comapany and paying for it then you are a subscriber.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Non-subscriber Subscribers

Click for full size
I wonder how many are people who are HSI Only subscribers are being counted as "subscribers" for purposes of reporting to advertisers and investors?

Starting back in August of 2013, when I accessed my Comcast account online, I noticed that my account showed I was "connected" to Xfinity TV. I haven't been a Comcast TV subscriber for over 11 years. I reported this issue in the Comcast Direct Forum and was told this was a "glitch". I asked when it was going to be fixed ... and got no answer and not another post to that thread.

Fast forward to March of 2014 and, still seeing this "glitch" I wrote an email to Comcast drawing attention to this problem and inquiring WHY I was being shown as a Comcast TV subscriber when, in point of fact, I was NOT ... and hadn't been for quite a long time. I asked if I was being reported as a Comcast subscriber to their advertisers.

Quite quickly I was contacted by a CSI from "ComcastCares" who, after about a month, eventually removed that designation of "connected" to XfinityTV from my account.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to nfotiu

to nfotiu

said by nfotiu:

Basically you just get local QAM channels and no STB,

Actually since most CC systems have NO more (clear) QAM locals, you are normally provided 1 STB (or DTA) as part of this pkg...since you HAVE to have some sort of STB (or cablecard) to decrypt even local channels...
joe_h
join:2010-05-26
Las Cruces, NM

joe_h

Smoke and mirrors...

The numbers are inflated. I recently moved into a newly built home. At the old house I could get 50/20 service from Centurylink, but only 7/1 at the new home. I reluctantly went back to Comcast for 50/10 service. Of course, the internet/basic TV package was cheaper than internet alone, so that was the package I chose.

I told the Comcast tech to not even bother bringing out a cable box, as I have no intention of using the TV service (I have DTV). He informed me that he was required to hook it up anyway. 5 minutes after he left, I disconnected the cable box, and it's been sitting on a shelf ever since. I'm sure I'm still counted in the "TV subscriber" numbers even though I've never used it.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem

Premium Member

this. tv + internet is cheaper than just subscribing to internet. they're goosing the numbers.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

x1

its not just bundles, but people actively adding X1 service.
obvs
join:2012-12-27
Washington, DC

obvs to aaronwt

to aaronwt

But that's absurd, and it's a way of lying about their subscription rates. If they give you a discount to have a service that you've never used and never will, you're not really a subscriber.

I was a Comcast customer until earlier this year. I had an internet access subscription, and it was cheaper to get it with basic television than it was to get it standalone. I never once plugged in a television.