spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-28 09:02:18: As rumors have suggested for month, Comcast and Charter have struck a deal that would offload a significant number of freshly-acquired customers to Charter in an attempt to sell regulators on Comcast's $45 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

hmm the main obstacle may be local franchises saying no!

a lot franchises have voice opinion of planning on possibly denying approval not to mention are taking their franchise renewals into play as well. add the NY state changes to the PUC rules and it could derail the whole thing.

if the deal goes through I could see:

Comcast picking up these Charter areas:
Texas
New York
Los Angeles CA

and Charter getting these Comcast areas:
Wisconsin
Kansas City Missouri market

etc.

not to mention TWC areas being swapped now this if the deal doesn't fall through which I am giving a 60% of it doing just that.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
I was mostly correct... »Re: They want to make this sale real bad like!

I figured TWC -WI operations, and Comcast [WI] would be going to Charter*.
It sounds like Comcasts Twin Cities operations are going to Charter [*or the new holding company] as well.

MrMatt

@66.42.177.x

Nit sure about this

I'm guessing since I am in Cincinnati I will become a charter subscriber now. This kinda sucks. Comcast has better service offerings then Charter doesn't it? I am with TWC now, I am betting a downgrade in service when this happens. Is that possible?

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

3 recommendations

Comcast VA

Soon, Comcast will have a near monopoly on HSI in VA. There is a FIOS deployment in N.VA (far from complete, but rather dense the closer you get to Washington) and sporadically scattered around the south part of the state (but its not very large. Most VZ is the old Ma Bell/GTE copper), and Cox serves Fairfax in N.VA + a portion of the southeast.

The rest of the state is stuck with Comcast as its HSI provider. VZ DSL is not competitive, nor is CenturyLink DSL in the Front Royal area.

Wonderful! 1 provider serving most of the people in the state.

:/

Cox better look out! Comcast may want to buy their systems in VA so they can enjoy a near monopoly.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to AMDUSER

Re: hmm the main obstacle may be local franchises saying no!

said by AMDUSER:

I was mostly correct... »Re: They want to make this sale real bad like!

I figured TWC -WI operations, and Comcast [WI] would be going to Charter*.
It sounds like Comcasts Twin Cities operations are going to Charter [*or the new holding company] as well.

hmm I am glad to find out that Dallas is going to Comcast unless they decide to drop a lot of HD channels :/

hmm maybe not as they are picking up a lot of systems with more HD especially the Charter and TWC areas and a lot of them use SDV so maybe they will add more HD in the legacy Comcast areas? hmm I don't see them removing HD channels from systems with HD channels near 200 HD or 175 HD? or am I wrong?

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

When someone gets specific markets involved, please list them

here in the forum!!

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to motorola870

Kind of sounds like maybe the Charter system that serves Fort Worth and its surrounding cities and up to Denton might go to Comcast. Charter was horrid when I lived in Denton, especially compared to FIOS.

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Now I have even more desire for this NOT to go through.

I do NOT want to be part of Comcast. I have been perfectly happy with Charter(Internet, as I have Directv for TV) here in CT.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

A map?

Anybody see a map/before and after comparison?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

I wonder who'll get Maine

Hope the deal is blocked. I like the service from Time Warner better than Comcast. I've never dealt with Charter but I'd rather have Comcast than Charter.

The million dollar question: Who'll get Maine. I'm probably moving there later this year.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

1 edit

No!

I don't want Charter to be here! I Think TWC is better than the crap called Charter!

Brian_M

join:2004-06-19
Manchester, GA
reply to Chuck_IV

Re: Now I have even more desire for this NOT to go through.

Same here.... I had Comcast in Colorado and hated it, have Charter in GA and while I don't "love it", at least it's Stable and the prices don't creep Every.Single.Month.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

Completely expected

This worked out exactly how I figured it would.

Comcast consolidates in the major markets it or TWC already has (such as Atlanta) and Charter cleans up Comcast/TWC's smaller operations that are small for Comcast but where Charter has a large presence (such as Alabama).

I would not be surprised to see Charter go after Bright House next. That's the next geographic neighbor that will be next to a lot of Charter subs (Birmingham, Detroit, Indiana).

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
reply to motorola870

Texas is going to be Comcast... good lets make the deal

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tshirt

Re: A map?

a few graphics
New charter and spinco holdings »www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-con···4845.jpg

The cable family tree
»online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1···61156582

DLow

join:2013-11-16
USA

#fail

This will end up being a fail and a huge headache for everyone.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
reply to motorola870

As I understand Comcast's new IPTV based boxes will render a lot of current technologies obsolete so SDV and other stuff will become irrelevant.

mixdup

Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

Anybody see a map/before and after comparison?

»phx.corporate-ir.net/External.Fi···ZT0z&t=1

Slide 10 of that PDF shows what Charter's footprint will be. No map of Comcast, though.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to mixdup

Re: Completely expected

Actually I think spinco is their next purchase, when they have the cash...If they could afford it the territory looks like a erfect fit for their remaining areas.

mixdup

Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
said by tshirt:

Actually I think spinco is their next purchase, when they have the cash...If they could afford it the territory looks like a erfect fit for their remaining areas.

Well, of course. The end goal is absolutely for Charter to eventually own SpinCo outright. The only reason they're doing it that way instead of selling direct to Charter is likely tax purposes.

I just read through the presentation, Charter will be "managing" SpinCo, meaning for all intents and purposes those customers will be Charter customers and I would not be surprised if their services are sold under the Charter brand name.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: I wonder who'll get Maine

said by IowaCowboy:

Hope the deal is blocked.

Not going to happen, and it looks like any current TWC in maine will end up with comcast

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to DLow

Re: #fail

I wonder how those former TWC customers are going to like going from $15 internet to $55 at Charter.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to mixdup

Thanks, still looking for a map of what comcast gets/actual NEW Comcast network.

DLow

join:2013-11-16
USA
reply to mdavej

Re: #fail

not meaning it from a customer point of view, meaning it from a employee type of view

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
reply to DLow
The TWC-Adelphia-Comcast swap/purchase certainly was, I expect this will be no different.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

#Fail

Based on this (being in Ohio) Looks like my wonderful former Insight Columbus service now Time Warner Columbus will become Charter Columbus..

At least with TWC there was hope of faster speed tiers here.. and faster upstream.

Currently 30/5 with TWC

Looks like Charter does not offer anything above 4 mb up stream.. Guess the hope of seeing TWC's MAXX upgrades here in the future is nothing more than a dream at this point.. At least with Comcast possibly taking over there was hope of a faster upstream.. Charter does not seem to care about upstream.

antidelldude

join:2003-12-22
Rochester, MI

This better not happen

This isn't going to happen right? RIGHT? Comcast sucks, but they are the best I can get. I won't give them up. I like my reliable 50/10 for $50. No. THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!

DadCooks
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Kennewick, WA

Regulators Do Not Care About Consumers

That this is even being considered is bad news.

This is in no way going to improve service or cost for any consumer. The regulators and the cable providers live in an incestuous relationship that totally disregards common sense and customer service.

Even the local communities that grant the "franchises" have come to disregard their own citizens and have given up the ability for true competitive bidding for providing cable services.

AMDUSER
Premium
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Matt7

Re: #Fail

I had Charter in the northern part of WI... and dropped them in favor of Verizon DSL.
Having used TWC and Charter... TWC is the better of the two. I was looking forward to having the 15 Meg become 50 Meg under the TWC Maxx plan...

Currently with 15 Meg / 1 Meg... TWC- the only up side is that it may cause At&t to lower the Uverse internet cost locally. [As Charters 30 Meg is faster then most At&t Uverse internet customers can get.]

AMDUSER
Premium
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DadCooks

Re: Regulators Do Not Care About Consumers

said by DadCooks:

"...Even the local communities that grant the "franchises" have come to disregard their own citizens and have given up the ability for true competitive bidding for providing cable services.

Quite a few states have state-wide franchise agreements, WI included.. The only thing they care about is getting the franchise fee $$$.