dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-29 10:36:24: Aircell's GoGo has so far managed to dominated the slow-starting U.S. in-flight broadband market, but it appears that they will soon have some deep-pocketed competition. ..

ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42

GoGo has been bleeding money...

They still aren't turning a profit.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but GoGo is only getting about half as many users as they need to break even.

I don't think these are the right numbers, but for example: they need about 20% of the passengers on each plane with GoGo service to pay for the service during the flight, and they are only getting about 10%.

The percentage has been increasing slowly. But, it's still a long way away from profitability. And GoGo raised monthly subscription prices at the beginning of last year. That led to my cancellation, although I was already considering it because I wasn't traveling as much.

AT&T may compete on price, but I doubt it will be the price to the consumer. They are likely to offer the airline a better deal (fixed fees, revenue sharing) in order to displace the incumbent GoGo.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Just buy GoGo....

It will be less expensive then starting from scratch, plus you could promote that AT&T Internet or Wireless customers get free access, just like they did with their WiFi HotSpots.
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23

I would love to get access on flight as an AT&T. I fly a lot and use GO-GO but at times depending in business travelers the speed is beyond pathetic.