dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-30 08:18:24: Last week we noted how AT&T's decision to maybe deploy 1 Gbps fiber to 100 cities was a major bluff, in that AT&T isn't willing to actually spend the money to make that happen. ..

prev · 1 · 2

att tech
@144.160.226.x

att tech to dslwanter

Anon

to dslwanter

Re: Wold Changing

gpon is coming
bellwire
join:2013-08-24

bellwire to battleop

to battleop
That's great that you can fix some of the small stuff...I always stay till I have fixed all the trouble. .if it's something that I can't fix I find the right person to fix...I have always put the customer 1st...
bellwire

bellwire to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh
I love all these folks on this site just follow along with the views of the poster...no matter if right or wrong...yes CWA national doesn't always do right by the members. ..Long time bell person here...all over the state I work we have a lot of uverse expansion. ...I've been loaned all over the state...city and dual and we are placing fiber and new copper in places...more vrads...fiber trucks are everywhere in the large cities. ..overtime all the time for uverse. CATS that had been surplused are being brought back...hiring all over the state....So yes CWA is right...and this is not phantom work or expansion. ..I can't speak for all 22 states...but it is going on in other areas as well

PlusOne
@50.182.54.x

PlusOne to alchav

Anon

to alchav

Re: A good sign that CWA and AT&T are on the Same Page!

said by alchav:

This is a good sign, the Workers and Company have to be united. So whether it's Vapor News or not, divided they fall united they stand. GigaPower can be a reality, all AT&T has to do is run Fiber instead of Copper from the V-RADS. You are right, equipment has to change too, but the possibility is there. Like I said before, just like Google or Verizon, the Customer Base has to be there in order for this to happen.

+1

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer

I'm not talking about repairs they do not have the tools or access to fix. I'm talking about things like "Hey I noticed your circuit is down because this RJ45 isn't connected" or "Your router appears to be down because the UPS isn't powerd on" or why is it it so fucking hard for AT&T or Verizon techs to understand what an intermittent problem is?

Please stop it with the field techs are as pure and innocent and it's all 100% management's fault as to why so many of them are douche bags. Oh how I hate dealing with them.

I just heard about a missed appointment on a new construction because there was not a 110v outlet within 6 feet of the backboard on a T1 install. The Smartjack is CO powered an NOTHING that was installed required 110v. There were open 110v outlets in the closet just not on the backboard within 6 feet. The office manager at that site offered to get him an extension cord and he started to spout off some bullshit NEC regulations about why that wasn't allowed.

UGH!! Stupid Stupid Stupid.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Ahhh so you want the techs to fix your equipment for you and you blame them when they won't risk losing their job? Do you have any idea what would happen if a tech accidentally knocked out a customer circuit by touching their equipment? Please stop blaming techs when it is the customer who doesn't have their shit together.

battleop

battleop

No, I am not asking them to touch anything. Is it really that hard to mention something you observed? I completely understand that they can't touch anything but relaying "Hey The lights are off on this box" or "Hey there is a cable hanging here that's not plugged in" or "Hey that UPS is making a beeping sound?"

Customer's don't have their shit together and sometimes when you try and help them out from 700 miles away it's not so easy to see the same things the LEC tech can see.

I've spent 3 days arguing with a tech about a circuit that is taking errors. I overnighted a replacement WIC for the router and the errors are still there yet he said the circuit is clean and nothing is wrong. Now in the last 2 hours he has decided that MAYBE one of the repeater cards on the T1 should be set to EFS/B8SZ instead of auto. Now that the circuit looks clean to me he is saying maybe auto was causing trouble with my equipment and that he is going to report there was no trouble on his end. WHAT THE FUCK?

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to DeusExDinero

Premium Member

to DeusExDinero
said by DeusExDinero :

The previous article(s) cite real world users of the so-called GIGAPOWER barely getting 70 Megabit per Second connections when they should be getting closer to 300. Hell, even 300 is a far cry from being anything resembling GIGA level.

Forgive me for being observant, I thought there was an article here stating some slow speeds problems was that hardware on the end (PC's, routers, wifi routers, etc..) couldn't handle the speeds?
David

David to PlusOne

Premium Member

to PlusOne

I kind of thought we always were here (me and mark are cwa represented).
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Generally (as I am sure you know) when there is a problem with a T1, the smartjack is looped back and test patterns run to the loop. The DACS in any of the COs between the A end and the Z end can be accessed to isolate the problem between spans. I would guess that this was done with your circuit and no errors were detected. Generally the pattern will be run for about an hour (it is run by a tester on the phone, rarely by the tech on site). Often this is even done before the tech gets there.

The Auto setting for coding or framing should work fine with any customer equipment (I have NEVER had to change it using Adtran, Pairgain, or ADC cards). Do you know if he tried to change the card? Plugging in a T-Berd and testing from the actual customer handoff would have been the next step. If he did that, it is very possible he accidentally 'fixed' an intermittent RJ48 plug, dirty contacts (on the plug or the card) there are lots of possibilities.

Coincidentally, I happened to be on a T1 trouble exactly like you are describing several years ago. It was a financial institution in Manhattan and they would only let us take the circuit down to test it after midnight. Their tech was there and everything out of his mouth was that it is our fault yet we could run fine to a loop in the smartjack. I changed the card, even changed the smartjack, ran every test under the sun. The last straw was when he said the voltage on the DS1 was wrong out of the smartjack... it was the only other possibility, he said. Since this was an extremely odd complaint, I asked him what the voltage was suppose to be (I never had to measure it before) and he told me (I think it was around 7.5 volts IIRC) I set the T-Berd to measure the voltage and it was exactly what he said it should be. About 15 minutes later, they found a problem with their equipment.

I readily admit that not ALL techs will bother going the extra mile for the customer but most will. A good part of how far they will go depends on how the customer is treating them. Worse are techs that know what they are suppose to do AND THAT'S IT. They learned it through memorization and not understanding. A beeping UPS is an annoyance to them more than a clue to something being wrong. A tech that can help you fix problems with your stuff is an added bonus and not something you should 'expect' for your provider (though it is nice). Unions may have some problems but what you are describing isn't their fault.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
I knew something was up in 2002(ish) when I called then Bell Atlantic or freshly minted Verizon to cancel DSL. I told them that a 20+ year customer was going to leave and never come back... I bet morale was quite low when these kinds of calls came in at a time when Cablevision was newly offering a bump from 10 to 15 megabits and the Telco had zippo.

However, as far as AT&T is concerned, they have recently LIED to the public and governments about their intent before so the track record isn't good there..

battleop

battleop to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
"Do you know if he tried to change the card?"

No, I couldn't get him off the kick that it was our equipment. It took me 20 minutes to get him to understand that we had overnighted a replacement WIC T1 card so that pretty much ruled out our equipment. Once he understood that he then started to "suspect" that it was a bad replacement card. The T1 card came out of one of my own lab routers that I know was a good working card. Just to make sure it was a good card I tested it with my Tberd and it tested clean. After explaining that he thought maybe it was banged up in shipping. UGH!!

"Worse are techs that know what they are suppose to do AND THAT'S IT."

I don't know why but I seem to always get those guys. They know how to do it but don't have the first clue why they do it.

"A good part of how far they will go depends on how the customer is treating them.'

Yea, we're the same way. I'll do everything I can to rule out my side. I'm pretty nice until we get to the point where they become super stubborn and then I just want to talk to the next level up.

"Unions may have some problems but what you are describing isn't their fault."

What makes it their fault is that it's damn difficult to get rid of the bad apples.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by battleop:

What makes it their fault is that it's damn difficult to get rid of the bad apples.

Realistically if the tech can do what the company asks of them (even if it is by memorization) then they really aren't bad apples, they just aren't top quality apples I wish (believe me I wish) the company (well both AT&T and Verizon) would strive to hire/train techs to be the top quality you are looking for OR the union would make the push to train people (which I have always said they should do).

Good luck with the T1.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Because AT&T has repeatedly told investors they won't be increasing capex, and their fiber projects will have no influence on their overall spending. What do you think that means?

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to David

to David

said by David:

I kind of thought we always were here (me and mark are cwa represented).

You would think that Unions and Management come together for what is best for The Company. The only thing is the Die Hard Union Reps would only be thinking Job Security, and didn't go much for innovation and progress. In the past CWA always pushed to keep the Old Copper Plant, because the aging Techs couldn't or would not want to learn the New Fiber Technology. The thing is that Progress goes on and it doesn't wait for anyone, and it's good to see CWA and AT&T seeing things the same way.
prev · 1 · 2