spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-04-30 18:25:02: Last June Comcast announced that the company's new customer gateways would be configured to start sharing user Wi-Fi with local passers by, noting that the service could be disabled and that other peoples' usage wouldn't count against your usage cap. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

Cue the special effects...

... just imagine all the "WIFI sensitives" heads exploding, when this goes live.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

said by tshirt:

... just imagine all the "WIFI sensitives" heads exploding, when this goes live.

Well, you have to have wireless on already for it to work . Plus, it's not like it's another wireless network being broadcasted, it's all virtual.

I'm curious of when they'll show the gateway xfinitywifi networks as part of the hotspot map. They only show the business/outdoor hotspots on the map.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

Enabled in DC

For what it's worth, this was also enabled in DC a few weeks back.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1

Filesharing

But really Mr. RIAA, it wasn't me... Comcast turned on wifi sharing and I had no idea...

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Darknessfall

Re: Cue the special effects...

said by Darknessfall:

Well, you have to have wireless on already for it to work

You can't use science to disprove what they KNOW!!!

I'm not suggesting the world will change in any noticeable way other than it is announced (and then only EMF sensitives who aren't allergic to newsprint, soy ink or reading will know about it)

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Darknessfall

said by Darknessfall:

said by tshirt:

I'm curious of when they'll show the gateway xfinitywifi networks as part of the hotspot map. They only show the business/outdoor hotspots on the map.

I don't think they will. It would be nice but imagine if they start showing the residental XFWiFI and the next day the person broadcasting it, decides to turn it off.

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
reply to tshirt

And I would hope it would be a separate 'guest' network segment that can't see the devices inside primary segment.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

It is set up that way. The person using the "hotspot" side must login and it is separate from the rest of the traffic - including bandwidth.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to Uncle Paul

Re: Filesharing

Comcast can prove who it was by the customer logging in and getting their own IP.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ITGeeks:

Comcast can prove who it was by the customer logging in and getting their own IP.

Let say they can show what account was logged on.

bmccoy

join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA
reply to tshirt

*tightens tin foil hat*

Queen Bee

@68.190.153.x
reply to tshirt

Even better, I can steal someone's login info and frame people I hate.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Madtown

said by Madtown:

residental XFWiFI and the next day the person broadcasting it, decides to turn it off.

In theory that could eventually be updated in real time, but that might be a little to revealing as to which house is the host.
Hate to come home from work early and find a dozen people lounging and leeching in my yard, each positioning to get the best signal (think kids look at stuff the don't want to be caught with at home. (I've accidently interrupted this activity outside the local library, from now on, stay on the sidewalk/use the front door. ) )

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
reply to ITGeeks

Ah, so it's for other Comcast customers only? Great way to expand their WiFi, though not 'public' WiFi as article implies (if the case).

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

No there is a guest/fee for service access too. around $3 per day $30 amonth? week?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

said by Darknessfall:

Well, you have to have wireless on already for it to work

You can't use science to disprove what they KNOW!!!

I'm not suggesting the world will change in any noticeable way other than it is announced (and then only EMF sensitives who aren't allergic to newsprint, soy ink or reading will know about it)

If all of these people were 100% right, I would probably be dead by now lol. I'm dowsed with wireless almost everyday from many APs and Bluetooth devices lol.

Darknessfall
Premium
reply to tshirt

Lol

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to tshirt

Yes but on the Xfinity service you have to use your Comcast login.

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

No there is a guest/fee for service access too. around $3 per day $30 amonth? week?

$0 for an hour free
$2.95 for an hour
$7.95 for a day
$19.95 for a week

The whole system goes by mac address as far as I know.

I would believe that if you're really that dedicated you could just keep changing your mac address every hour to get free hours.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to tshirt

That's on the other "network". The modems are suppose to be setup differently and require a login as it counts against your home usage.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to Darknessfall

That pricing makes more sense, I knew it wasn't cheaper then a home account

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

Potential Security Risk?

What would prevent someone from creating a fake xfinitywifi in order to do something nefarious?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

Always a danger of public Wi-Fi.
Has anyone ever considered "harvesting" VPN login creds? as an attack?

afn06011

join:2012-10-15
Ireland

Self Re-enable?

So will the service self re-enable after a power failure, software update or reboot?

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Makes me very glad

that I'm NOT a Comcast customer, for sure!

This would tick me off big time. Luckily, you can disable this, but still, what Joe Blow is going to know anything about it?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Geot

@96.226.95.x

Here is a thought...dump the Comcast modem you are leasing and get your own! No Comcast guest wifi.

CodeeCB
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

reply to cork1958

How can this possibly "tick you off big time"? I feel this should be non-existent on anyones list of shit to give a damn about. This has 0 negative impact on anyone or anything.

CodeeCB
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Minneapolis, MN
reply to ITGeeks

It's been proven many times that it DOESNT count against your not-enforced data caps.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to tshirt

Can they force this on a customer owned box? I may downgrade to a modem only instead of a gateway just for this reason. Right now my gateway is in bridge and I use the Sonic Wall client to connect to my internal wifi

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

why are billing you to rent the box that eat's up spectrum for there use by

why are billing you to rent the box that eat's up spectrum for there use by other subs at least if you want to do this get rid of the rent fees.

also what about apartments that may have lots of hotspots very near each other with the same SSID and maybe even the same channels.