dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-02 16:10:13: We've long noted that because they're owned by the cable and broadcast industry (Viacom, Disney, Comcast/NBC) Hulu is specifically designed to not be disruptive or too interesting, given that could cannibalize traditional cable TV revenues. ..

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

It's about time

I hope it lets me stream over 4G and not just wifi or it won't do me a lot of good. (Unlimited data plan for the win)

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Is Comcast Participating?

Will we be required to sign in with a participating Pay TV provider to see most of the content? If so, I doubt Comcast is in the list of nearly 100 providers.

I hope I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

said by jmn1207:

Will we be required to sign in with a participating Pay TV provider to see most of the content? If so, I doubt Comcast is in the list of nearly 100 providers.

I hope I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

But don't they own Hulu?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

2 edits

tshirt

Premium Member

Part of HULU
Hulu is a joint venture of NBCUniversal Television Group (Comcast),[5] Fox Broadcasting Company (21st Century Fox) and Disney%u2013ABC Television Group (The Walt Disney Company)

And yes PART of on demand/streampix togo is really hulu content.
And remember this is "a selection of ad-supported full TV episodes on mobile devices– for free" because of the ads.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss

Re: It's about time

It's definitely some progress and this means that I will finally install their app on my phone and tablet.

Now if only they can remove the ads on paid subscriptions and I *might* actually think about upgrading my account.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz to why60loss

to why60loss
Have been doing Hulu to mobile for quite a while using PlayOn. Also now works with Chromecast.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Problem

The only problem for me is there is nothing in their catalog that I am even remotely interested in. I am tired of modern TV and, through Netflix, have gone back to the classic shows of the 70's (Emergency!, Quincy, MacMillan & Wife, Columbo, Rockford Files, etc.). Most nights I do not even bother turning on the TV and just watch Neflix on the iPad.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

No, nothing fancy here, but they could be reasonable "filler" while waiting for/riding a bus and would ok as far as public and worksafe content.

Some people (like you) may choose to pay for a higher quality diet.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to alg

Premium Member

to alg

Re: It's about time

Only way they can do that is to receive lower royalty rates or have you pay more. They supposedly lose more money on the paid service than their free service.

Mr Guy
@24.183.212.x

Mr Guy to n2jtx

Anon

to n2jtx

Re: Problem

said by n2jtx:

The only problem for me is there is nothing in their catalog that I am even remotely interested in. I am tired of modern TV and, through Netflix, have gone back to the classic shows of the 70's (Emergency!, Quincy, MacMillan & Wife, Columbo, Rockford Files, etc.). Most nights I do not even bother turning on the TV and just watch Neflix on the iPad.

Sounds like Antenna Tv and Me-TV are right up your alley and can be seen via OTA.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

Free Hulu content

any word if Tivo's get it?

IllBite
@162.236.130.x

IllBite

Anon

...yet still no free Hulu on (non-mobile) smart-TVs and Blu-Ray players?

My HDMI-TV can display free Hulu from desktop PC browser, but not via a native smart-TV app, nor from an app on my Blu-Ray player.

Persisting with such obtuse, petty distinctions is another legacy of relic executives from the century past.
bryan314
join:2011-10-03

bryan314

Supreme Court Aero Reaction?

Looks like they're preparing a response to the upcoming Aero Supreme Court Decision.
If the Court sides with Aero, this becomes relatively useful, current episodes, etc. If the Court sides with the broadcasters, it becomes another joke, delayed episodes, difficult signups, etc.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

makes you wonder..

Then you wonder why piracy is so commonplace.. when they have an audience that is ready and willing to sit through commerical ads, they restrict it to a desktop application. This happened with spotify and pandora as well, with their limited access when mobile android devices where skyrocketing. Never mind, that people today dont' give a second thought to downloading (if they wish) gigabytes (average song is 3 - 15MB of data) of music content for free regardless of it's copyright ownership licenses which (in and ideal world before the RIAA sued individuals, napalming the industry) be paid, somehow.

BTW, youtube was also going a bit too far with ads.. and saw backlash when you have to sit through 30 second commercials. Now they have skip buttons (after 4-5 sec).. otherwise, other sites would have eaten their lunch..
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to IllBite

Premium Member

to IllBite

Re: ...yet still no free Hulu on (non-mobile) smart-TVs and Blu-Ray players?

Not really. They want to increase their subscriber numbers. If they offer too many features for free there wouldn't be a reason to subscribe.
frank124c
join:2003-12-04
Brooklyn, NY

frank124c to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy

Re: Problem

said by Mr Guy :

said by n2jtx:

Sounds like Antenna Tv and Me-TV are right up your alley and can be seen via OTA.

How about Tvland. I know there are quite a few of such sites. Can anyone recommend some more good ones? I know I can Google "online tv" but I would like to know which ones are best.

Also I would like to say that Hulu does provide quite a few good shows for free. They are showing the current Cosmo series which is great if you have an interest in science. Also I like the history documentaries which are free on Hulu.

Also YouTube has lots of great free tv shows and movies and documentaries.

With all this great free stuff on the streaming internet--and all free and many without commercials--I don't even bother with broadcast tv. Most of the new shows they offer are indeed garbage and you have to sit through offensive commercials just to watch them.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved

IMHO, TV Land sucks for the most part. They've got too much modern shows on their now, as opposed to when they first came on the air.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

Hulu sucks

I hate it because when i paid for it, 90% of what I wanted to watch was "blocked from settop device" Whats the point of having a roku then?