spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-07 14:42:00: Sprint CEO Dan Hesse and SoftBank boss Masayoshi Son continue to try and sell the media on an acquisition of T-Mobile, even if neither regulators or the public particularly like the idea of killing off T-Mobile just as they're bringing much-needed di.. ..

snarf7

join:2013-08-31

so?

Focus on you then focus on more buys

MDA
Auto negotiating
Premium
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast

"Are regulators and the public willing to take that bet?"

N-O...

Sprint has a stick up their butt when they see any good in consuming T-Mobile.

T-Mobile if anything, has a better chance consuming Sprint because compare disruption from T-Mobile to "any" disruption of Sprint.

There's a big margin and its not in favor of Sprint...

dotditdot

join:2009-09-23
New York, NY

Sprint has no credibility

Maybe if they actually tried to compete in the first place, they would have a little bit of credibility? For all of Sprint's complaining, T-mobile has forced the big two to start competing and to start responding.

Has Sprint done anything but sit around and watch the whole time (and make excuses)?

dagg

join:2001-03-25
Galt, CA

how about no? does no work for you?

as someone who just moved from sprint to metro allow me to simply say 'awww HELL NO

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

And likely a big load of Number 2 for the customer and employees

These mergers rarely end well for the customers who like the company they are with and picked it because it was not the other guy and the people whos jobs become redundant so they get fired.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Sprint: Please Give It Up Already

Sprint pretty much sucks these days and not bothering to really fix themselves while at the same time trying to destroy the competition which is working makes no sense. Besides the fact that T-Mobile has been a disruptive influence, there is still the issue of incompatibility between Sprint's legacy (and inferior IMHO) CDMA2000 technology and T-Mobile's GSM/HSPA+ network. Sprint has already tried supporting incompatible networks when it bought Nextel and we know how that worked out. Eventually everyone will be LTE and the incompatibilities should pretty much be minimized. However, 3G networks will be around at least to 2020 if not later.

Frankly, I am still waiting for the improvements SoftBank was supposed to bring to the table and I have yet to see them other than the horribly named "Framily" campaign. Sprint still refuses to fully unlock off-contract iPhone's for domestic SIM usage and it appears, per their new unlock policy, they never will and certainly not before February 15, 2015 if they even change their mind. I hope to switch back to T-Mobile from Sprint and I hope they are still around.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

mbkowns
Got Bandwidth?

join:2003-07-01
Riverside, CA

unlimited data model

I think that sprint makes a good argument. They are the only, carrier offering unlimited data. We all wish that data had more coverage and speed but it is a compelling and marketable. If spring bought tmobile and then used its spending power from Softbank it would be able to compete way stronger to Verizon and Att (death star). I know there are limits to unlimited data but, like tmobile has done recently with Atts new shared 10gb plans, sprint would do on an even larger scale.

Think of the days before unlimited internet, once we had offers of unlimited we never looked back until 2 sole companies decided to meter it, on the cell phone front. Sprint could spend now but they want to invest in what tmobile has started and then build on that.

I hate to think that I have a phone I can’t use to its full capability because of data limits.
--
- MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

jdofaz

join:2013-04-15
Phoenix, AZ

sprint #3

How is it that sprint is still #3?

Though now that I think about it I know several people with Sprint phones putting along on CDMA 3G speed. Maybe they just don't know what LTE is like?

ksharp25

join:2010-09-24
Middletown, PA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to mbkowns

Re: unlimited data model

said by mbkowns:

They are the only, carrier offering unlimited data

Please elaborate on your definition of "unlimited" data and how Sprint offers that. You get at best 2 GB, then dial-up speed throttle city (despite their adamant denials otherwise)

Plus, the numbers do not favor Sprint's connection speed (Mbps) over their data network. Limited cable internet for example is still leaps and bounds better than unlimited DSL (T-Mobile's current "4G" LTE) or dial-up (Sprint "4G" LTE)

I have in the past 7 years used all 4 networks. Love em/Hate em Verizon and AT&T still have then best speed/bandwidth offering from their 4G network with TMobile slowly getting better and Sprint way they hell behind.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

1 edit

why...

I know Sprint has been upgrading a lot of things lately, and also causing grief for some folks, but if they think that they have the money for this merger, why not REALLY work more on improving their network?

The idea of merging them just seems silly. T-Mo has a ton of GSM roaming agreements, and Sprint is tied to Verizon for CDMA roaming.

Seems like Sprint can't catch a break lately. In a lot of places, I'm sure they have their issues, but in many others, it's comparable to Verizon (or, at least very close). Personally, I'd still rather have them over T-Mobile any day (but am on Verizon).

Verizon "won big" when the swallowed up Alltel. No two ways about it - that's why their coverage is so insane compared to the others.
Once the (roaming) terms of that merger expire, it's questionable whether or not Sprint will remain as a major roaming partner (edit: 2016 - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Cor···reements). If they get dropped, they are left on their own, and a few smaller roaming partners. To truly compete, they should seriously have already started far more major work on towers in more places. Buying up T-Mobile won't help that.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

Argument over incompatible network is comical

People love to feel like they know business and tech and throw around things like "it will not work because it is different tech".

I give that Nextel was botched, but TMO WANTS TO BE BOUGHT and Sprint can get the money.

In a few years none of this tech will matter as everything will run on LTE. The ROI on VoLTE is so lucrative not even Sprint can mess it up.

They will merge and run parallel for a while and eventually have an all LTE network. It is not as if they have a choice but to go LTE.

The whole network will be LTE and there will be a fallback voice like GPRS. My Sprint iPhone did just fine in Iceland where it was all GSM.

I am no fan of Sprint and left them, but TMO will never have the presence to really serve anything outside of the cities, and Sprint has more bandwidth of all kind. They have 800, 1900, 2600, plus 1700 and 1900 bands from TMO it will eventually all be LTE.

Right now VZ and ATT lead, but whether they want to or not Sprint and TMO will need to do something to be a real competitor. Merging may be the best for both.

Having a true 3rd competitor is much better then the current duopoly and the barely networks that are the current situation.

Arguing that they will fail because Sprint is CDMA 2000 and TMO is GSM is so short sided that in the eyes of a multi-billion dollar corporate merger it is almost silly.

I have TMO, it is great...if you are right in the city ... outside or by a window... But I am jumping ship to ATT because I cant drive 5 minutes out of town with out going to edge and losing my connection. At least Sprint 3G was enough to steam pandora.

--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

compton

join:2002-02-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to mbkowns

said by mbkowns:

I think that sprint makes a good argument. They are the only, carrier offering unlimited data.

That's not true. I have unlimited data with T Mobile.

KevNYC
Premium
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA
reply to mbkowns
Hah..."unlimited data" is why I signed up with Sprint. Little did I know their data speeds are comparable to dial-up.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

BS

Sprint has tons of spectrum, they haven't as of yet done anything useful with most of it, merging with another crappy network isn't going to help them. The AT&T&T merger was a good idea, as it would have made AT&T stronger to compete against Verizon, although as we later found out, Verizon wasn't as strong as it appeared, and AT&T has managed to get spectrum other ways, or re-farm existing spectrum.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

Well

I think its all a bunch of #2.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to BiggA

Re: BS

Bullshit. The AT&T/T-Mobile merger would have been a disaster and not good for consumers on any level.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to MDA

Re: "Are regulators and the public willing to take that bet?"

While I don't think t-mobile would ever merge with Sprint in any form at all, I think Sprint wants to buy Tmo because while Tmo may not be doing much to the top 2, I can almost guarantee you they are ravaging the crap out of Sprint.

I mean look at it: Sprint is hemorrhaging customers, while AT&T and Verizon are bringing in customers slower than Sprint is losing them. Meanwhile Tmo is gaining a crapload of subscribers.

These customers may not be going from Sprint to Tmo directly (I can't say that for certainty,) but we could very well see a lot of exchanges like the following:

Sprint loses 8 longtime customers to AT&T, AT&T loses 4 longtime customers to Tmo, AT&T loses 1 longtime customer to Sprint, and Tmo loses 1 longtime customer to AT&T. Tmo and AT&T each gain 1 customer who is completely new to the wireless industry while Sprint gains nothing.

Sprint has a net loss of 7 subscribers
AT&T has a net gain of 5 subscribers
Tmo has a net gain of 4 subscribers

This about matches the earning reports of these respective carriers. You'll see similar exchanges if you replace AT&T with Verizon.

Sprint figures that if they kill Tmo, they can slow their losses and *possibly* pick up more newcomers to the wireless market (where they're currently getting hardly any.) They'd like to kill AT&T and/or Verizon of course, but that would be a MUCH more difficult proposition than killing Tmo. Even killing Tmo is borderline impossible, but at least it looks like Sprint is trying to do something other than maintain its "loser" attitude (as Sprints new owner put it.)

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Bad credit customers

Sprint is doing poorly because they took high risk customers with low security deposits. I remember people bragging about getting postpaid cell phones with Sprint with only a $125 security deposit when VZW/AT&T were requiring $500-$800 deposits.

No wonder they're in the hole. Too many written off accounts.

I got my VZW phone with $0 deposit. I pay my VZW bill every month.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to chlen

Re: Argument over incompatible network is comical

If tmo can stop spending like a drunken sailor on advertising they would be making over 100 mill a year and can grow that easily.

Realize that the ROI is a much better rate then VZW and AT&T. If they do that they can do some severe damage in the telco sector. The parent company wants to sell tmo, but there is not another company with the backing or experience to pull off the acquisition.

Tmo will have a ton of cash as soon as they start to pull back on advertising.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
They just dont have to buy the infrastructure when they can get it all in a merger. It is about organizational behavior. I dont believe that TMO techs and contractors are somehow much better than Sprint, much of the time they are the same people. TMO is small and they can operate quickly an spend quickly. Sprint is still turning a giant corporate bureaucracy. Spint may not have been good for the consumer but NV will be complete with or without proper backhaul. That procurement has been done and in a couple of years when they have a multi-band LTE network they can sell to MVNOs, sell roaming, sell a lot of things. They will rebrand restructure and may be able to compete.

DT does not want to be in the US market, they have made this clear, and TMO will never have a nationwide network ALA VZ, ATT, and even Sprint to some extent. A strong 3rd competitor is much more preferable to 2 fighting for crumbs.
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

BiggA

EARTH
reply to atuarre

It would have created an incredible network like none seen before it. The spectrum synergy between the two companies would have created massive capacity in key urban markets on HSPA+, and put them in a great position to re-farm some of it to LTE.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
BS. They would be sitting on that spectrum like they are sitting on spectrum now.

CodeeCB
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Minneapolis, MN
reply to mbkowns

They aren't the only ones offering unlimited data. Tmobile offers unlimited and they actually have good data speeds to enjoy that unlimited data.

ksharp25

join:2010-09-24
Middletown, PA
reply to compton
Nope. Read the fine print. You get throttled for the rest of your billing cycle after exceeding 500 MB, 2 GB, or whatever you have in your plan.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to atuarre

A) they ARE NOT sitting on spectrum now. AT&T and Verizon use far more of their spectrum than Sprint and T-Mobile, who refuse to build out their networks. AT&T has the best spectrum use of any carrier out there. They have ever last bit lit up in the areas that have LTE, and almost their entire network is going to have LTE by the end of the year. They are even re-farming their CLR and PCS in certain areas, where it makes sense for capacity and/or coverage reasons, so that they can run LTE on it.

B) They would have such an incredible HSPA+ network with a ton of room for migration to LTE. They are doing OK now, but not nearly as well as they would have with T-Mobile.